P.S. The scores so far:

Wars Commando - 72

Greyout - 57

Snowman - 48

Rescue - 9

Raedr - 8

Robo Hell - 2

Unready - 2

How did you cont that? If just by adding total number of votes, It is a tie for snowman and greyout: both have 29 total votes.
How the votes are being counted:

1st place=3 points

2nd place=2 points

3rd place=1 point

How did you cont that? If just by adding total number of votes, It is a tie for snowman and greyout: both have 29 total votes.

Probably by multiplying votes for 1st by 3, 2nd by 2 and 3rd by 1. IIRC this was talked about in the conversation thread.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Esn!

Last edited by a moderator:
How the votes are being counted:

1st place=3 points

2nd place=2 points

3rd place=1 point

I think

1st place=1.2 points

2nd place=1.1 points

3rd place=1.0 point

would be better, as there is too much weight in the places otherwise,

because otherwise it is unequal as 1 is a neutral element of multiplication, let me explain:

Two times third place is 2*1P=2P and this is equal to one times second place, but two times second place is 2*2P=4P and that is better than first place with 3P.

Edit:

Well you could sure also vote:

1st place=4 points

2nd place=2 points

3rd place=1 point

to get this equal again, but i think thats too much distance then.

@QuantenMagier:

I see your point, but you don't want to change the voting rules one day before the deadline, do you?

For the record here are the standings with the different voting schemes:

(3,2,1)

Wars 71 (1.)

Snowman 51 (3.)

Rescue 10

Raedr 10

Greyout 63 (2.)

Unready 3

Robo Hell 2

(1.2,1.1,1)

Wars 34,1 (1.)

Snowman 31,2 (3.)

Rescue 7,3

Raedr 5,5

Greyout 32,4 (2.)

Unready 3

Robo Hell 2

(4,2,1)

Wars 88 (1.)

Snowman 56 (3.)

Rescue 11

Raedr 11

Greyout 74 (2.)

Unready 3

Robo Hell 2

Total number of votes: 35 (I dunno why the forum displays 37, which is, minus the faulty one, still one too many).

Also it is kinda sad to see that in a community of over 2000 registered members (of which around 800 might have a Pandora and around 1200 are "active") only such a low number have voted (you would at least expect around 100), I wonder why...

As you can see it does not change anything anyway... (btw, I already excluded MichaelXX2's vote in there)

foxblock out

Yup bad times 37 votes? Sheesh.

Shame on you, yeah you - you non-voting bastards.

Edit* Winners please contact me with Paypal accounts and I will send you your share of the moolah.

On that note, does anyone actually use X to jump - does anyone notice you can jump on X anyway? If not, that button would be free, but that would also not work on the Playground level (which does not make much sense anyway, but I thought I would give people the chance to play around with the engine like I did in the videos and since the functionality was already there...). I really don't want to set this on the d-pad as you might trigger it too lightly, the same reason suicide is B+Y and not just B or Y.

To be honest, I use X for most of my jumping in Greyout. Considering the layout of the Pandora's gaming keys it makes the most sense to my mind, so I rarely if ever use A to jump. If you were going to reassign one I would ask that it be A... but maybe thats just me. *shrugs*

Also I hear many people complain about the difficulty level in the level "Greyout" and I agree it is hard.

First of all, I will not separate the two players so you can rescue one after the other and the game only resets the one you are controlling, that just would not work (not from a technical point of view, rather from a gameplay or story/feeling point of view).

I have not really playtested the game by any person apart from myself and I feel that is one of my personal biggest shortcomings and I will never do something like that again. Therefore I will try to get some data on the level and remove certain spikes which are too unfair or frustrating.

But finally, this level actually was intended to be the very last (or one of the last) levels, I just shifted it because of time constraints and because I did not get the number of levels done I intended and the game would not have worked that well if it still would be the last I guess (the levels are in a particular order and it is supposed to have a meaning), so... yeah... that is that.
Greyout is the level I'm stuck on actually... it seems to require some almost impossible manoeuvres... I agree though that having the game only reset the player you are controlling is not the answer, and could even conceivably break some levels, especially ones like Making The Gap, where you have to use the two players in cooperation. I would however request an option not to switch which player has focus when the level resets... If I am experimenting with the white players options when I die, I usually want to continue to do so after the reset without having to specifically trigger the change.

Greyout is the level I'm stuck on actually... it seems to require some almost impossible manoeuvres... I agree though that having the game only reset the player you are controlling is not the answer, and could even conceivably break some levels, especially ones like Making The Gap, where you have to use the two players in cooperation. I would however request an option not to switch which player has focus when the level resets... If I am experimenting with the white players options when I die, I usually want to continue to do so after the reset without having to specifically trigger the change.
None of the levels are impossible, certainly not Greyout; although it definitely IS if you try to go the wrong way... once you figure out the right way to approach something, it becomes much easier the next time, like learning to ride a bicycle...

I do like your idea of keeping the character controlled the same after you die. That wouldn't ruin anything and might even help things.

@foxblock I'm not sure what I use to jump... I'll try to check next time I play it...

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for my game, as well as those who participated in the competition and congratulate Foxblock and Ziz for their achievement. I'd especially like to thank richiz for setting up the competition, we need people like him to get things moving. I hope this was the first of many such competitions and that the next competition will have more contestants and voters. I'd like to see competitions like this become a tradition and a defining quality of our community.

This was the first time I...

• entered a coding competition
  • created a finished game
  • drew this much pixel art (first time in many many years I actually DID pixel art)
  • created a google project
  • coded something for a device I don't possess (made testing a bit hard :p )
  • got platforming mechanics to work well
  • used Qt to create a game
  • ported something to this many platforms

I'm going to use the prize money to upgrade my order to premium, so I can get to developing stuff for the pandora as soon as possible :) . Thank you all again!

I would like to thank everyone who voted for my entry, richiz for organizing this competition, everyone who donated money or other prizes and all the other entrants for submitting some great games showing that Pandora certainly is not only about emulating Amiga games ;)

Congratulations to B-Zar for taking the well -deserved first prize and Ziz for taking the third.

I am not sure on what to spend the prize money on yet, maybe a Premium, maybe I will donate some... we will see.

---

Thanks for the feedback :)

All levels have a margin of error, Greyout might be the one with the tightest, but it is certainly possible and does not require nanosecond or pixel accuracy (at least from my experience ;) ). I thought about making a speedrun/walkthrough video, maybe that would help people get through tricky situations, though I would rather let them think about those for a bit longer ;) (though the thought process probably is not the problem in level "Greyout" rather than the actual jumping and manoeuvring).

Keeping the focus on the last active player is a good idea, I will try to implement that.

foxblock out

I follow B-ZaR and foxblock.

Thank you for the votes!

Thank you for all contest entries! I hope I see some on the gp2x, too ;-)

Congratulations to B-ZaR and foxblock for the first and second place - You deserve it. :lol:

I didn't imagine, that I am really able to get the third place with a 4-weeks-fast-coding-game. I will improve my game in the future. I have some (very secret :p ) game ideas, but I will improve the compatibility for PCs, too - it is VERY easy to add an OpenGL Render path for PCs. I don't think, that I will use OpenGL ES, because it still runs quite well on the Pandora without. :D

So, I use the price money to support free software developers, e.g. ME. ^^ 50£ are awesome. I can buy food for almost one month from it! :lol:

greetings, Ziz

I'm going to use the prize money to upgrade my order to premium, so I can get to developing stuff for the pandora as soon as possible :) . Thank you all again!

Right on! Well done to all the winners and entrants. I too am a bit disappointed that people seemingly didn't want to vote that much. The more competitions the better I say. Perhaps a more general one next time?

I donated, but didn't vote since I never had time to play most of the games. Also, being windows only meant most of the games weren't available until later (if at all?). Also, even once there was a windows version I'd have to search the thread to find it.

Not complaining, I was more interested in supporting devs that actually getting games to play. Just saying that might be the reason others didn't vote. Plus many people without Pandoras might not have even looked at the thread.

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for my game, as well as those who participated in the competition and congratulate Foxblock and Ziz for their achievement. I'd especially like to thank richiz for setting up the competition, we need people like him to get things moving. I hope this was the first of many such competitions and that the next competition will have more contestants and voters. I'd like to see competitions like this become a tradition and a defining quality of our community.

Agreed. That would be a very positive thing for the community!

Congratulations to everyone and great job!

Is there going to be some kind of big end-of-contest announcement, or did I miss it?

Just in case, here's the tally of the votes so far...

Wars Commando - 80

Greyout - 69

Snowman - 57

Raedr - 13

Rescue - 10

Unready - 3

Robo hell - 2

P.S. I also think it would be really neat if this wasn't the first and last contest like this... and maybe the next ones won't have deadlines during exams. ;)

(though the thought process probably is not the problem in level "Greyout" rather than the actual jumping and manoeuvring).
In my experience, it has definitely been largely about the thought process.

Yup bad times 37 votes? Sheesh.

Shame on you, yeah you - you non-voting bastards.

Edit* Winners please contact me with Paypal accounts and I will send you your share of the moolah.
Richiz, you need to make a big announcement, with huge letters, lots of bold fonts and congratulations, etc.

Yeah, ideally the first post should be edited to announce the winner... I guess Pandorapress will mention the ending of the competition and the winners too.

I want to say a big thank you to all the dev as well as to Richiz for organizing the competition.

I was also quite surprise to see the number of votes. There were enough voter to make this vote fair and there were clearly three games that came to the top. I was however expecting more people to vote. Maybe it's the fact that it take some times to test the game and that not everyone has their Pandora. Maybe the voting period should be a bit longer next time ?

This is especially surprising to me as there were a number of people willing to donate money for the competition. I would have expected a much larger voting audience.

BTW It's great to hear what developer are doing with the money. Upgrading to premium Pandora so they can developed on the device is really cool :)

Obviously the winner can be whatever they please with the money (they've more than earned it), it's just nice to hear it is put to good use one way to another.

Hopefully this is just the beginning and there will be some other competition.

One aimed at beginner that want to develop their first game could be fun IMO. Could be something simple or even with everybody using the same basis (pygame...). The main thing here would be that people could help each other.

Back