HF4B3 clock gain issue over standby + P kill button loss

MarioPandio

I posted in ED´s beta testing thread for HF4b3 which said to post issues there and also have been asked to post here, as I found an issue.

I went from HF4b1 straight to b2 without bothering with any attempts to alter date and time, which got borked to varying degrees. Mine jumped an hour and nothing beyond timezone was selectable.

To me its all Panda time anyway, worldwide, so what the smeg.

Hence I noted but did not bother with terminal scripts, or battery ripping, which was required if a loop occurred.

Anyway....to cut a long story short.... (thwack...too late)

I reset the time, via the correct dialog boxes after install of HFB3 and found that it blackscreens until a button press. After which the old time is still displayed for a few seconds and then updates itself. All good but...

After leaving overnight to charge in standby mode to speed it up, it has gained 30 minutes on the clock again. I re did it several times and each time I leave it in standby for awhile...more than an hour or so, I find the time is wrong.

As a total newb to linux, I will attempt to post any actually relevant and usefull details or logs, if I am given guidance as to how. Frankly even a spoiler tag, let alone those boxes of "just copy n paste this" (which on the panda browsers I cant and have had to manually match by trial and error) are beyond my forum knowhow.

In addition the Pandora button no longer offers a ´kill app´ dialog box regardless of time pressed. Only the sys menu. This may have occurred under HFB1 but I did not notice.

So?.... Scottish Thrift says...."write it again and again, half as long each time" (hence the thread title and the prior post).

Epenis agrees, lyingly, to gain a little length given the time wasted and how wooden this post feels. Actually..... :p

The kill button has been broken in the recent hotfixes, it also didn't work for me.

So, standby mode for over an hour leads to the clock gaining? Must admit, my Pandora is not my watch, so I don't keep too close an eye on it.

Thanks for the info about the PND-Kill info. I only use MiniMenu, so I haven't noticed.

Will fix this in the final version.

Also, does your WiFi work? skeezix meant he couldn't connect to his AP anymore, it always asks for a password.

Might be some other thing, though.

I've a simiilar issue with time, never stays the right time for long! No problems with my wifi that I've found though. Is there any way to add the toggle puc/wifi, to the desktop as icons? they're the 2 options I seem to be using the most, be nice to have them right on screen (not that it's much of a hardship to get them through the menu)

ii left mine in standby for a while, and the clock lost 3 hours - but then caught up after about a minute, and is now correct. (This was not plugged in, will try standby and plugged in later)

ii left mine in standby for a while, and the clock lost 3 hours - but then caught up after about a minute, and is now correct. (This was not plugged in, will try standby and plugged in later)
Basically there are two clocks: a hardware clock and a software clock. Updating the time from the hardware clock is slow (it takes hundredths of a second which is painful in PC time!) so the clock you see is actually updated in memory: it updates from the hardware clock once, and then updates on an interrupt once per second(ish), which is fast and easy.

I suspect that knocking the CPU speed all the way down to 14Mhz is causing some problems with the software clock: either the interrupt is triggering too often or not enough. Either way, it's obvious the software clock sometimes goes wildly out of sync when put into low power mode.

I've filed a bug report with the suggestion to pull the hardware time when the Pandora comes out of low power mode. It might add a second to the wake-up time, but it should prevent these problems with the clock getting all weird.

Someguy99´s guide to adding wifi and other apps as desktop icons, or better key shortcuts, were very useful.

Since Notaz wifi driver update I have had zero use of togging though and HFB3 fixed the LED´s.

The clock issue in Beta 4 is also fixed for me.

Wizard is correctly pointing out the 14mhz of standby being a potential factor but I thought this had been omitted recently, as standby behaviour on wake up, is now responsive and kind of Irish ´totally automatic´.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KNi8aW8Nf6s?feature=oembed

Edit: PND-Kill works again too.

Is it possible to hotkey ´Run Mini-Menu´?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wizard is correctly pointing out the 14mhz of standby being a potential factor but I thought this had been omitted recently, as standby behaviour on wake up, is now responsive and kind of Irish ´totally automatic´.
The 14Mhz setting was removed, but then put back. Opening the lid, however, no longer turns on the screen when in low power mode. It probably feels more responsive because when you flick the power switch, the screen doesn't turn back on until the last, after the CPU has been sped back up. Previously it would turn the screen on as a result of the lid being opened before the power script had a chance to restore the CPU, resulting in a few seconds of "why is it going so slow?"

Back