Help! Wiz Hanging On Boot

IAmCorbin

Still Fresh
This is no good, I had been playing a couple homebrew games downloaded from the OpenHandhelds Wiz file archive and then turned off my Wiz, tried to turn it back on and now it is hanging on the GP2X Wiz Whatever you want QPlus Embedded! loading screen and not getting past it, no menu no nothing.

Is there something I can do to troubleshoot this? I hope so, I've only had it for 2 weeks now and was just started to develop a 2D game engine. :(

Leave it on for a while, you may just be interrupting the fsck of the filesystem that automatically gets done when there are bad blocks and so on .. if it doesn't come back after about, say, 3 hours, then you will need to get a serial console cable built for it (search these forums for details) and then use it to figure out whats going on .. could be that you will need to re-install the firmware.

This happened to me. I couldn't get past the loading screen, which meant I couldn't access the SD card to re-install the firmware. However, I did some research on this forum and found a nice post that has some instructions on how to reinstall the firmware from the SD card from the loading screen without having to use a serial cable. This works wonders when you're stuck at the loading screen. Just read the first post in the link and download the file provided there. Hopefully you'll be good to go within 15 to 20 minutes.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50852-how-to-unbrick-your-wiz-retail-wiz-v110-firmware

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful leaving the wiz on for too long. Apparently the image will burn into the screen if you leave it on for too long. I just don't know how long is too long.

fett42 said:
This happened to me. I couldn't get past the loading screen, which meant I couldn't access the SD card to re-install the firmware. However, I did some research on this forum and found a nice post that has some instructions on how to reinstall the firmware from the SD card from the loading screen without having to use a serial cable. This works wonders when you're stuck at the loading screen. Just read the first post in the link and download the file provided there. Hopefully you'll be good to go within 15 to 20 minutes.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50852-how-to-unbrick-your-wiz-retail-wiz-v110-firmware

According to the instructions you need more than an SD card to unbrick, you need either:
1/ A breakout board
2/ A standard “Wiz” USB cable, and suitable soldering skills

I don't have either

My Wiz is sitting on the boot screen right now and I'm going to let it sit there for a while as per torpor's suggestion

IAMCorbin,

Try reflashing the firmware. Download the firmware from the archive on to an SD card and insert it into your Wiz. Hold the R button and power on the unit. Wait for it to finish and reboot. You should be good! This worked for me when my Wiz did the same thing.

Yeah, when this happens to me, I reflash the firmware. Kind of annoying. Don't interrupt the firmware update whatever you do.... then you'll be in worse problems. BTW u9i, you won't get a burned in image unless you leave the same image on the screen the whole time... while you're playing games, the screen usually changes.

IAmCorbin said:
fett42 said:

According to the instructions you need more than an SD card to unbrick, you need either:
1/ A breakout board
2/ A standard “Wiz” USB cable, and suitable soldering skills

I don't have either

My Wiz is sitting on the boot screen right now and I'm going to let it sit there for a while as per torpor's suggestion

Sorry about that IAMCorbin. But what Orion said is what I thought I was posting. I must have selected the wrong post. :wacko:

You can find the newest firmware here:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,112

The instructions to flash the firmware are there step-by-step.

I hope you can get it working.

Thanks for the help...I just copied the firmware to an SD card, inserted into Wiz, held down R and powered on. It now says "Wiz Updating... It takes about 15 Min." So hopefully in 15 minutes it will be working again ( minus my saved games :( on nand )

Success and I'll be backing up my nand from now on.

Hi everyone. I would just like to share, that AFAIK you need a non SDHC card to reflash your Wiz. I finally managed to reflash mine after tracking down a 1GB SD card. My 16GB SDHC card wouldn't do the trick.

If this is the wrong information, please share your experiences. Who knows, it might just have been a FAT40.

/Uni

u9i said:
Hi everyone. I would just like to share, that AFAIK you need a non SDHC card to reflash your Wiz. I finally managed to reflash mine after tracking down a 1GB SD card. My 16GB SDHC card wouldn't do the trick.

If this is the wrong information, please share your experiences. Who knows, it might just have been a FAT40.

/Uni

I have a 8 GB SDHC card and I managed to Flash my Wiz with it. I used the 1.2.1 Firmware found on this link http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,316 It's formatted via FAT32 (from the factory, I did not reformat it). I unzipped the files to the root of the card and held down the R button before powering on. When it booted it had a "Firmware" splash screen. It took a few minutes before it said Firmware Updating and then had a RED bar going across the top of it. I had it plugged in via the USB cable to make sure I had plenty of power. Sorry, but I don't know how long the entire process took.

-Kruz

I had the same problem this morning with my wiz for the first time and I've had my wiz for almost a year. I reinstalled the firmware and voila booted again :D.

I have had mine for 4 days, and this happened twice already... :-/

Hmm, this is getting annoying... 3rd time within 8 days.

Does it happen to anyone else this frequently?

In the last "session" before the boot failure I only played games
from the SD card:

* Monster 2
* Gianna's Return
* Ruck Man
* Powder 2x

I'm using FW 1.2.1

Back