Help. Weird Crash In Fenix.

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hello. I'm having a little problem. I have a strange bug occurring in my game related to my hi scores and exiting the game. It all works perfectly and on first boot when no hi-score file exists you can exit the game no problem. However any future game when the file exists and is loaded at the start and you try to exit the screen just goes black and the only thing you can do is switch the unit off. I know there was a problem with saving strings so I didn't use any and and I declared the array as 'INT hiscores[10][4]' to make sure that it was just an int array. Anyone have an idea whats going on?

I've done some more testing and the bug only occurs when using the latest runtime. Could it be Memory related as my fpg file is fairly big 2.7MB and with fonts and sounds adding another 600K, plus the size of the new runtime is slightly larger than the beta3 release. The only other thing it could be is that I've discovered a bug in the new runtime.

ruckage posted on Dec 23 2006 at 10:07 PM said:
I've done some more testing and the bug only occurs when using the latest runtime. Could it be Memory related as my fpg file is fairly big 2.7MB and with fonts and sounds adding another 600K, plus the size of the new runtime is slightly larger than the beta3 release. The only other thing it could be is that I've discovered a bug in the new runtime.
It is definitely NOT memory related. Do you mean your fpg is 2.7mb before compression? I use a lot more RAM with GoitGP and Goitfights than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.

2.7MB is the actual size of the FPG (which I guess is compressed, The total size of all the FPG's in goitGP is only 976KB.) The original images would be about 6MB. Plus I'm using some ogg for sound and I guess they need to be decompressed into ram before they are used.
I tried not loading some of the sounds at the start and it seemed to fix the problem so I can only assume that it must be somehing to do with the memory.

Edit:

I don't understand it. Put the sounds back in the code, recopiled and it now works with both runtimes. will have to wait and see if it happens again I guess.

ruckage posted on Dec 23 2006 at 10:26 PM said:
Thanks for the replies.

2.7MB is the actual size of the FPG (which I guess is compressed, The total size of all the FPG's in goitGP is only 976KB.) The original images would be about 6MB. Plus I'm using some ogg for sound and I guess they need to be decompressed into ram before they are used.
I tried not loading some of the sounds at the start and it seemed to fix the problem so I can only assume that it must be somehing to do with the memory.

Edit:

I don't understand it. Put the sounds back in the code, recopiled and it now works with both runtimes. will have to wait and see if it happens again I guess.
are you unloading the sounds at times, or levels etc, when they arent going to be used? Also the FPG isn't compressed by default, there is an option in FPG edit. Goitys FPG is so small as most of his images are all large blocks of one colour, they compress well.

sam fisher posted on Dec 24 2006 at 03:16 PM said:
are you unloading the sounds at times, or levels etc, when they arent going to be used? Also the FPG isn't compressed by default, there is an option in FPG edit. Goitys FPG is so small as most of his images are all large blocks of one colour, they compress well.
It seems to work fine now - think it was down to a bad compile.

Back