Help Repairing Gp32

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
I recently bought a couple GP32 from Jr2Swiss. One was a write off but in great condition with lots of good parts. Exactly what I wanted.

The other two were actually in a pretty much working state.

The BLU works completely but only with a DC adapter. Batteries do no work. It seems to me that this could easily be repaired. I'm handy with a solder but not sure what to fix/repair.

The FLU also works even with batteries but the FLU only comes on with a DC adapter. Seems like a similar problem to the BLU.

Are any of these the old D11 diode?

The last one, another BLU, switches on but can't read the SMC. It's in otherwise great condition. Well, except for a single dead pixel. But I was thinking that this is most likely beyond repair as a kaput SMC is most likely difficult to repair.

Any help appreciated!

I had a GP32 that stopped reading SMC's, Robster fixed it for me, it turned out the microswitch (or some form of switch) inside that tells whether a SMC is in there or not had broken. Might be something to check...

slaanesh said:
I recently bought a couple GP32 from Jr2Swiss. One was a write off but in great condition with lots of good parts. Exactly what I wanted.

The other two were actually in a pretty much working state.

The BLU works completely but only with a DC adapter. Batteries do no work. It seems to me that this could easily be repaired. I'm handy with a solder but not sure what to fix/repair.

The FLU also works even with batteries but the FLU only comes on with a DC adapter. Seems like a similar problem to the BLU.

Are any of these the old D11 diode?

The last one, another BLU, switches on but can't read the SMC. It's in otherwise great condition. Well, except for a single dead pixel. But I was thinking that this is most likely beyond repair as a kaput SMC is most likely difficult to repair.

Any help appreciated!
The battery problem might be a simple connection problem, just a matter of resoldering a wire to the board or the battery terminal (on the inside of course). It might be more complicated, but I always go for the simplest, most likely first.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooka said:
I had a GP32 that stopped reading SMC's, Robster fixed it for me, it turned out the microswitch (or some form of switch) inside that tells whether a SMC is in there or not had broken. Might be something to check...
Yes, there is a tiny switch on the bottom left hand corner of the SMC holder which is pushed in once an SMC is fully inserted.
This seemed to be working. I could see the switch being pushed in when I inserted the card.

I tried the GP32 in "test mode"; the SMC test asks for an SMC. I inserted a card and it "found" it but immediately found the size & other details as all 0 length.

christo930 said:
The battery problem might be a simple connection problem, just a matter of resoldering a wire to the board or the battery terminal (on the inside of course). It might be more complicated, but I always go for the simplest, most likely first.
The battery terminals are soldered onto the main board. Perhaps you are right and it just needs to be re-soldered. I would have thought that if there were any dry joints there would be intermittent power getting through?

I may give this a go as I don't think there is any harm in trying.

Just another update:

I got a multimeter to the unit. Very odd thing. Someone will know what's wrong straight away, just the right person needs to read it!

When I apply the probes use logic mode to test for a complete circuit I will get one when I switch the unit on and touch each of the battery terminals. Good, this is what should happen, right?
I put batteries in the unit switch on - nothing!
Touch the probes to the battery terminals again and this time no circuit. WTF? If I wait a while I will eventually get a circuit again.

Everything works with a power adapter though, so it's something that specific to using batteries.

Something is kaput. But I don't know what it is!

Anyone help?

Had the same problem with my blu. just solder from the batery terminals on to the dc jack terminals make sure you get it right and dont plug it in with the batterys in other wise bad things will happen.

Bourbon

bourbon said:
Had the same problem with my blu. just solder from the batery terminals on to the dc jack terminals make sure you get it right and dont plug it in with the batterys in other wise bad things will happen.

The old by-pass trick.

I'm currently using this GP32 as my main DEV machine and it's working out really well connected using AC/DC power adapter but having it mobile would be much handier.

Okay, I'll give it a go.

yeah it works nice :lol: same thing happened to my blu but it was after using it on the dc for a while it wouldnt use batts then if i rolled up a small peace of paper and stuck it up around the prong then took it out it would work but then after a while that didnt work eather.

Back