Help! Do I Need A New '2x Mobo?

aaron11193

Hey Telstra, I Hate You.
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey all...

I need some help.. I was doing a D-Pad mod (Modding My '2x D-Pad, Spare GBA Parts.) and i accidentally pulled the copper ring out of a contact for 'left' on the gp2x's PCB...

Is there another place where i can make the connection to get left direction working?

Ive found a contact INSIDE the hole that i can use but i cant get to it.... a blob of solder wont slide down the hole... and i stripped part of the copper that goes to the contact hole and tested that but it doesnt register...
:(

I think the left contact routes to one of the internal layers. About the only thing you can try is cut the leg off a resistor or capacitor and feed it into that hole, soldering at both ends. Hopefully it'll make a contact and you'll be able to put your wire on that.

Other than that, there's not much you can do.

A gentle dremel grinding may reveal enough of it. I once repaired a multi layered mother board by stabbing it with a safety pin, snipping it off and soldering a lead to it. Good luck, trace around, maybe you'll get lucky

Ack, that sounds nasty. Hope you get it sorted. Maybe this is motivation enough to buy a Dremel. :p

Bunnings have "Ozito" brand Dremel clones, they're actually quite good. Less than $50, three year warranty. Do eet.

Hmmm.... I tried soldering a piece of a capacitor leg into the PCB...

It made a connection with the copper inside but also with a ground somehow and when i play with the piece of capacitor it reads left and it will stay reading left until i play with it again...

I think i might need a new mobo....

If anyone wants to swap a gp2x with a broken screen/snapped joystick etc. (non-mobo related breakage) for my mobo then ill do that... but i doubt anyone will... lol

The other end of that rail has to pop up somewhere. Pretty hard using an ohmmeter to find out though, when you can't make positive contact with the known end... I think you need a good mobo to test on, or someone to find out using theirs. I'd give it a shot if i had an F100.

aaron11193 said:
Hmmm.... I tried soldering a piece of a capacitor leg into the PCB...

It made a connection with the copper inside but also with a ground somehow and when i play with the piece of capacitor it reads left and it will stay reading left until i play with it again...
Sounds like there is a ground connection nearby and you have used too much solder on one of the board. Try sucking some of it up to make a smaller, smoother solder join by using some solder wick (do NOT use a solder pump, these are too vicious and could damage the board even more)

Btw, what type of solder are you using? I always think 60/40 is the best for repair jobs, I hate the lead free stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back