Help Connecting To Computer

4LPH4 W0LF

Still Fresh
hello, I cant seem to connect my gp2x f100 to the computer via usb, and whenever i do it just says device not recognized. help?

Well, it would help to know what firmware you have installed.

Usually with the default firmwares from GPH you access the USB function going through the Settings or System menus (name depends on firmware), then activating it after plugging the cable. However if you have Firmware 4.0.0 and patched it to 4.1.0 you won't have access to the USB connection (the patch seems to break the function...). There is a workaround for that issue, however.

gp2.eXe said:
Well, it would help to know what firmware you have installed.

Usually with the default firmwares from GPH you access the USB function going through the Settings or System menus (name depends on firmware), then activating it after plugging the cable. However if you have Firmware 4.0.0 and patched it to 4.1.0 you won't have access to the USB connection (the patch seems to break the function...). There is a workaround for that issue, however.
i have firmware 1.2.0 installed. i do set it in usb modes (in settings), my computer finds it, but says device not recognized. i tried plugging in my ipod to it and it recognized, so i know its not the computer (unless i need a specific driver for it i have a windows XP model Dell 4500 S with usb 2.0 installed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... no, no special drivers are required. Maybe it is because you got such an outdated firmware (for which I have no experience as I started at 2.1.2).

Recommendation is to upgrade, REALLY. At least 2.0.0 would be a good idea to have, but it doesn't guarantee that it will fix the USB issue. But I must warn you again, FW upgrades are a bit risky if the power source is not reliable. Fresh good batteries or plugged to the wall my friend. And, take it slowly, you HAVE to jump to 2.0.0 first before going any further or you will likely brick your unit. Here's the location of the Firmwares section on the archive. And this is a GP2X user guide that describes how to do the upgrade and the risks involved, plus a lot of other stuff worth reading to get the most out of your unit. It's best to stick to 2.1.2 by the way, further upgrades don't offer that much IMHO. Or... well, we'll talk about it later...

Now back to the USB issue... just curious, do you really need to connect to the PC through USB? Most of us use an SD Card reader... anyway, hope you can solve it; if not don't hesitate to ask for more help. :)

gp2.eXe said:
Hmm... no, no special drivers are required. Maybe it is because you got such an outdated firmware (for which I have no experience as I started at 2.1.2).

Recommendation is to upgrade, REALLY. At least 2.0.0 would be a good idea to have, but it doesn't guarantee that it will fix the USB issue. But I must warn you again, FW upgrades are a bit risky if the power source is not reliable. Fresh good batteries or plugged to the wall my friend. And, take it slowly, you HAVE to jump to 2.0.0 first before going any further or you will likely brick your unit. Here's the location of the Firmwares section on the archive. And this is a GP2X user guide that describes how to do the upgrade and the risks involved, plus a lot of other stuff worth reading to get the most out of your unit. It's best to stick to 2.1.2 by the way, further upgrades don't offer that much IMHO. Or... well, we'll talk about it later...

Now back to the USB issue... just curious, do you really need to connect to the PC through USB? Most of us use an SD Card reader... anyway, hope you can solve it; if not don't hesitate to ask for more help. :)
I jst bought it off of ebay, i think it was basically new when i got it. and i dont own an sd card reader, but my friend let me borrow his, so im ok for now. about the firmware, i will do that later, im still a n00b at gp2x

We will guide you step by step. And most of the time your gp2x can be revived if something should go wrong. You can also try the custom firmware but try the official patches first until you feel comfortable with the process. I would also recommend version 2.1.2. Fixed a lot of issues for me.

Here is what the wiki says about usb problems. So yeah, upgrade. I use my usb card reader all the time though as the file transfer is much faster so consider getting one for yourself. Firmware 2.1.2 fixes a lot of other stuff as well though.

xnopasaranx said:
We will guide you step by step. And most of the time your gp2x can be revived if something should go wrong. You can also try the custom firmware but try the official patches first until you feel comfortable with the process. I would also recommend version 2.1.2. Fixed a lot of issues for me.

Here is what the wiki says about usb problems. So yeah, upgrade. I use my usb card reader all the time though as the file transfer is much faster so consider getting one for yourself. Firmware 2.1.2 fixes a lot of other stuff as well though.
thank you for that information. i will try that

Back