GP32 Help Compiling Gngeo

Artemio

Still Fresh
Website
junkerhq.net
Hello,

I am trying to compile GNGeo under windows, using devkitGP2X in c:\devkitGP2X. But it fails in the configure script during the SD_Init test. I've tested the source code of the test with an independant Makefile (the one under demo in devkitGP2X) and it compiles fine. The configure script tells me that the gp2x SDL is not in my system.

I am using Minisys (as provided by devkitGP2X) and I set the following enviroment variables for the linker and compiler:

CFLAGS=-I/c/devkitGP2X/include
LDFLAGS=-L/c/devkitGP2X/lib

This is the line I am using to run configure:

./configure --build=i386 --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --enable-gp2x=yes --disable-i386asm --enable-cyclone

There is an SDL_CONFIG variable that the configure script lets the user set to yes, but this only skips the arm-linux-sdl-config test, which works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance ^^

Artemio posted on May 17 2006 at 04:04 AM said:
Hello,

I am trying to compile GNGeo under windows, using devkitGP2X in c:\devkitGP2X. But it fails in the configure script during the SD_Init test. I've tested the source code of the test with an independant Makefile (the one under demo in devkitGP2X) and it compiles fine. The configure script tells me that the gp2x SDL is not in my system.

I am using Minisys (as provided by devkitGP2X) and I set the following enviroment variables for the linker and compiler:

CFLAGS=-I/c/devkitGP2X/include
LDFLAGS=-L/c/devkitGP2X/lib

This is the line I am using to run configure:

./configure --build=i386 --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --enable-gp2x=yes --disable-i386asm --enable-cyclone

There is an SDL_CONFIG variable that the configure script lets the user set to yes, but this only skips the arm-linux-sdl-config test, which works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance ^^
Did you make any progress?

I never try to compile gngeo under devkitGP2X, so I'm afraid I can't help a lot, but I'm not surprise that it don't work out of the box. It might be easier to build you own Makefile/Project.
If you want any help, I'm here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I won't try using devkitGP2X anymore.. after testing it was an error with the --start-group parameters gave by the compiler, tehse were defined by the SDl configure and were not accepted by the compiler.. so I guess I'd rather use other development enviroment... any suggestions?

Thanks for answering ^^

Artemio posted on May 30 2006 at 07:24 PM said:
I believe I won't try using devkitGP2X anymore.. after testing it was an error with the --start-group parameters gave by the compiler, tehse were defined by the SDl configure and were not accepted by the compiler.. so I guess I'd rather use other development enviroment... any suggestions?

Thanks for answering ^^
Well, I'm only using linux, so I don't know. You can maybe have a look to andlinux. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux#Downloa...nux_.28320MB.29.
It's some kind of a port of the linux kernel under windows. It's based on http://www.colinux.org/
Andlinux come with a complete GP2X environement IIRC.
I tried it some times ago and it worked flawlessly.

But I think making a "simple" Makefile to use with devkitGP2X can be easy. You may just need to create a config.h file with some define.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot, I'll try andLinux here at the office. I'd use Linux directly, but truth is that I only use it at home and I spend a lot more time here at the office, where I must use Windows.

I'll post when I am done seting the stuff up.

After compiling several toolchains, I could compile gngeo under andLinux using the official SDK. I ended up using the official released posted just a few days ago. I only had to remove the "-static" flag, since I checked th e current executable and it was linked dynamic.. because my static build was not running.

After stripping it my resulting executable is a bit bigger, 300k roughly and the frame rate was low in my build... so I went and downloaded the Hardware accelerated SDL. This step reduced teh executable size by 200k, but it was a bit choppy while drawing teh screen. I'll be trying oopo's toolchain.

I just noticed I posted this in the incorrect forum.. sorry about that.

I just recompiled the toolchain, now using the newtoolchain script. And I only had to make small modifications for gngeo2x to compile. The good news is, although I got a biger executable, it apparently has better performance. Turning on the showfps option @266 w/sound @11khz I get an increase of 5-15 fps.

With the same settings Last Blade 2 gives me 30-50 in game. Also audio quality in general did improve. With no sound and @266 Last Blade 2 gives me 40-60, being the average around 50.

There is a problem though, scroll is a bit blocky (in MS3 for example). Not noticeable in the main screen of the game, but it does show up in the borders of the screen.

The made changes for it to compile under this toolchain are minimal:

./configure --build=i386 --host=gp2x --target=gp2x --enable-gp2x=yes --disable-i386asm --enable-cyclone --libdir=/usr/local/gp2xdev/lib --includedir=/usr/local/gp2xdev/include

Modified config.sub to include gp2x as a target and
modified the generated Makefile under src to include /usr/local/gp2xdev/include

Back