Help! Can't run any PNDs! :(

antisol

Hi,

Something strange is going on...

This morning I was watching a movie on my pandora. The movie was on a mounted samba share. Everything worked fine. I'm about 90% sure that's the only thing I've done today - I don't remember touching any settings or doing anything out of the ordinary - I was just watching a movie.

I went out this afternoon and wanted to play a game while I was at a cafe. I remembered that I had forgotten to unmount the samba share, so rather than mess around trying to unmount the inaccessible network drive, I simply rebooted the pandora by doing a 'sudo reboot' in the terminal.

Once rebooted I tried to run panplayer, but I got a message telling me that the pnd could not be mounted and that I should look at the output file. I looked in the output file and noticed an 'inappropriate ioctl for device' message.

I tried rebooting a couple more times and saw the exact same problem. I figured it might be an issue with the SD card, so I removed the SD card and tried to run the "Upgrade Pandora OS" app from NAND. Here's the output file:

cat /tmp/pndrun_op_osupgrade.out
=======================================================================================
PND             : /usr/pandora/apps/op_osupgrade.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : //pandora/appdata/op_osupgrade
APPDD_FSTYPE    : <unset>
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : op_osupgrade.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
WARNING The PND is already mounted, using it
+++++++
Loopback devices :
Are mounted on :
/dev/loop1 on /mnt/utmp/op_osupgrade type squashfs (ro)
For these Union :
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="//pandora/appdata/op_osupgrade=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/op_osupgrade=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/op_osupgrade"
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on none,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

WARNING : mount faild, re-tring
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on none,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !
+++++++
Loopback devices :
Are mounted on :
For these Union :
ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !
+++++++
Loopback devices :
Are mounted on :
For these Union :
[ FAILED]--- Mount the PND ----------
Return code is : 8

Whenever I try to run a PND the output file either gives the 'bad superblock' message above or gives an 'inappropriate ioctl for device' message.

I have absolutely no clue what the problem could be!

Please help!

Looks like some issues with the mount points. Try:

sudo rm -r /mnt/utmp/*

Some stray directories and files left over from who knows when.

Could also be corrupted NAND that can only be fixed with a reflash but you did a clean reboot so I can only imagine that would be the problem.

Also try removing any loopback mounts. Use mount/unmount to remove any "/dev/loop#" mounts, and "/sbin/losetup -d <device>" to then remove the actual loop. Then reboot and try again.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Stan, I had noticed that many items were listed multiple times when i typed 'mount', so I had already tried unmounting everything in /mnt/utmp and deleting all those subdirectories. Sorry I forgot to mention that, but thanks anyway.

I agree that it sounds like corrupted data on nand, but my pandora is only about a month old so I didn't think that was likely. I had read 'flashing is a last resort', so I figured I'd ask the experts. It feels kinda good that there wasn't a super-obvious fix that I didn't think of :)

In the end I re-flashed and everything seems to be OK now except that I've lost some customisations I made. I've decided that I'll use this as an opportunity to set up pandian - I'd been too lazy and too busy playing PSX games to do that until now... ;)

Back