Help A Linux Newbie!

sabrecheeky

Edit - ***Solved!***

Sorry, everyone, my bad... found that some packages, including g++ and make are not included in the standard ubuntu distribution, a quick

Code:
sudo aptitude install build-essential

seems to have solved it for now!

Thanks lulzfish for replying!

/apology

Hello all

I was thinking about learning a bit of C to see how I got on - maybe one day getting some stuff on my future pandora. Reading lots of stuff on here and elsewhere pointed me towards 'Code::Blocks' as I nice little IDE with a nice GUI, so I set it up, and tried to run a 'hello world' program.

I am running Ubuntu (Lucid) 32 bit and Code::Blocks 10.05.

The problem is with permissions. I created a folder (called 'Development', boringly enough) in my home/me folder and set that as the home folder for the project. However when I try to compile/run it in C::B, it tells me

Code:
sh: /home/me/Development/helloworld: Permission denied 
Process returned 126 (0x7E)   execution time : 0.001 s

in the shell, and

Code:
Checking for existence: /home/me/Development/helloworld
Executing: xterm -T '/home/me/Development/helloworld' -e /usr/bin/cb_console_runner "/home/me/Development/helloworld" (in /home/me/Development)

in the log.

I have done

Code:
sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/cb_console_runner

just to make sure the console is executable by all users. Is the problem is that ubuntu security does not allow anything residing within the home folder to be executable? I tries making a folder in the root, but I need root permission to do that.

I have seen this problem reported elsewhere on the net, but the I've not found a good answer, or one I understand. I think most people are taking the piss out of the original posters - I know no-one here would do that ;-)

Has anyone else come across this, and how did you get round it?

Thanks in advance.

sabregolly said:
Is the problem is that ubuntu security does not allow anything residing within the home folder to be executable?
Probably not. I had a lot of stuff in /home/lulzfish/projects even when I used Ubuntu.

Uh.... I guess you could try chmod a+x /home/you/Development/helloworld to make sure the executable has execute permissions, but it should all work by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back