Headphone adapter

Rockthesmurf

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
Could anybody advise whether the following will allow me to plug some iPhone headers into the Pandora and have the audio come through correctly?

http://www.ebuyer.com/271511-startech-com-3-5mm-4-position-to-2x-3-position-3-5mm-headset-splitter-adapter-muyhsfmm

My vague understanding is my iOS headphones a TRRS and the Pandora is TRS, I also understand Apple have switched one of the wires around (or something stupid), and from searching around I don't seem to be able to find an obvious answer as to what I need to buy so many Apple headphones can work normally. For what it is worth, these are iPod headphones, they don't have a microphone or anything on them, just the ear buds.

ninja'd :ph34r: by mcobit.. but yeah here is what is different between the normal vs Apple standard.

Nokiavsiphone.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I have an apple compatible headset, I just used a small metal clip to hold down the microphone button which gives a path to ground and clears up the sound.. kind of a hacky solution but it works.

Hmm, up to 18 days delivery for free, or 50 GBP for 1-2 day delivery... 50 GBP!!! Can anyone spot an equivalent cable/adapter from a UK seller that can deliver within a week for free/cheap? I wanted to get the adapter before the 15th of this month for a holiday.

Agreed, looks like it should do the job, but also looks like it might break within 5 uses :)

I am quite surprised how rare these things seem to be, I would have thought they would be really common given how many Apple headphones there are and how many non Apple headphone sockets there are.

As said, I would suggest that you make your own.

You just need a male and female 4pin 3,5 Connector and some 4 wire cable (or alternatively 4 wires and some shrinkwrap.

For what it is worth, these are iPod headphones, they don't have a microphone or anything on them, just the ear buds.
Overread this before.

Does the plug have 3 or 4 connectors? If they have only 3, it should just work out of the box. If the plug has 4, i believe you just need an 3 pin extension cable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Female-Socket-Extension-Cable/dp/B003WQ8YJ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409846215&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5+mm+extension+cable

Edit: or alternatively the adapter you proposed initially ;)

Right, thought you are talking about a headset, too. If it is just a 3 pin connector it should just work.

Okay; so if I plug my iPod headphones into my Pandora, all the way, I hear something, but it's like half of it is cutting out, if it is an TV episode you can't hear any of the voices, only random effects/music. If I pull the plug out a bit I get the proper sound, but only coming out from one channel. If I plug in a pair of 'regular' headphones it all works correctly (however the regular headphones I have are really bad free ones from a plane journey). I have taken a photo of the plugs:

20140904_204420.jpg

I imagine you already know, the white one is the iPod headphones, blue is the regular. The iPod ones have an extra ring on them, as stated before, these are regular iPod headphones, so no microphone and no remote control etc. on them.

Does that help with the question of what adapter I need to buy? :)

Not sure why your ipod headphone would have the extra ring without either a microphone or remote/digital volume control, but that is beside the point.. The ground is in the wrong place on those Apple plugs, so you can either use the adapters that switch the ground and mic pins or the extension cables since it shorts the mic and ground pins together giving the headset proper grounding.. 

In the end I ordered one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005I0GHV8/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item fingers crossed it does what is says on the tin :)

@DaMummy the adapter plus postage was about 12 GBP, whether I could have instead brought better headphones for 12 GBP; I don't know! I know some people don't like iPhone headphones, but I find them pretty decent for ear buds, so I thought it would be better just to get an adapter and stick with what I know rather than having to research and buy an unknown entity (which I am guessing will probably cost more than 12 GBP to get something worthwhile). For what it is worth, I don't own any Apple products, I am certainly not an Apple 'fanboy' we just have a lot of Apple stuff at work for our jobs and some items come with the Apple headphones so I nabbed a pair for personal use.

I'll report back to this thread when the adapter arrives!

Decent headphones tend to cost more than 12GBP, I paid $50 for Sennheiser ones. In my opinion $50 is still okay and they really sound so much better than those ultra cheap ones, but of course there is no limit on the price.

getting apple airbuds from the free-bin at work still seems like a rip off to me

Back