Have you lost faith in SONY Corporation or SONY Computer Entertainment?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
As you all would already be aware... some sh*t has gone down.

TBH, I'm only worried about all this affecting NGP and it's launch, seeing as it will rely heavily on the PlayStation Network.

sony-make-believe.jpg

Your stone-cold penis scares them away.

N.B. NOT what I expect to see from a moderator!

Last edited by a moderator:
I put no as I don't have faith in a company.

Maybe you are taking Make.Believe to literally Sony ;-)

Are they a company with a recognisable brand that delivers innovative and fun products and experiences - yes

Has that changed due to the network being hacked and potentially my credit card details being stolen - no

Am I annoyed that it happened and that their security was breached - yes

Are they at fault - probably not as like most companies I expect that they take reasonable care and like many companies were targeted heavily by some expert hackers.

Glad to hear they took the network down for now.

I was most annoyed that the linux ability was removed but I hadn't used it personally.

At the moment I still have several products from Sony that I enjoy and will look at their shiny new tablets when they come out.

I like Sony, but they are pretty hard on some of the homebrew guys. Some people just want to show that they can do something. It's not their fault that people then use it to play games illegally.

faith requires trust

i don't trust Sony

on another note I do not support companies whose strategic philosophies I do not agree with - unless I have absolutely no other way to get a task done within the industry I work in.

Like Klaue, I never had faith in any company.

But like I said in another topic, Sony has set the last nail in their coffin for me.

I mean months ago (was it Kakarotoks or Mathieulh?) a hacker (and I mean hacker, not pirate. Like in tinkering and learning instead of stealing) said on his twitter that there are flaws in the PSN security. IIRC he was even ok to tell everything he had found to Sony for them to secure the PSN.

Then, Sony roamed around the forums and twitters of people to find proofs against geohot and since Kakarotoks and Mathieulh are known PS3 hackers, they must have been under close watch. So Sony must have seen this information, but they ignored it. And now, many of their trusting clients are afraid to have their credit card stolen…

Conclusion, I'll keep my current Sony devices, but won't buy any new hardware from them.

(oh well, I may still buy joypads from them because third parties ones are pretty more than often awful…
dry.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they'll offer us any sort of compensation?

I gave up entirely on SONY when they released 30 year old 3D TV technology, pretended it was new, actually convinced people it was a good idea, while other companies around them were in the process of developing actual new 3D TV technology that is not likely to see the light of day for several years. SONY's marketing team for their active sync glasses actually slowed the evolution of 3D technology by convincing people that their solution was the best and that there wasn't anything new on the horizon. As a result, the new things that were on the horizon have been cut or pushed back further.

SONY wants to go to war over the next step in evolution, that's fine: MS and SD cards are comparable; HDDVD and BD are comparable. Actually stepping backwards in technology is inexcusable: active sync glasses vs perfect 3D in front of a TV and 2D from the sides are not in any way comparable.

I gave up entirely on SONY when they released 30 year old 3D TV technology, pretended it was new, actually convinced people it was a good idea, while other companies around them were in the process of developing actual new 3D TV technology that is not likely to see the light of day for several years. SONY's marketing team for their active sync glasses actually slowed the evolution of 3D technology by convincing people that their solution was the best and that there wasn't anything new on the horizon. As a result, the new things that were on the horizon have been cut or pushed back further.

SONY wants to go to war over the next step in evolution, that's fine: MS and SD cards are comparable; HDDVD and BD are comparable. Actually stepping backwards in technology is inexcusable: active sync glasses vs perfect 3D in front of a TV and 2D from the sides are not in any way comparable.

This.

I haven't had faith in the Sony corporation since the Rootkit fiasco back in the day.

Especially this.

Screw Sony. No, seriously. I hope that the executives in charge of stepping on consumers (and Lik Sang!) die a slow, agonizing death. They represent what is worst in the business world. I hate how they strong arm the industry into conforming to their standards. Where the hell is our holographic media that we were promised would be out in 2006? Oh yeah, Sony "developed" Blu-Ray and so it was decided that would be the next standard instead of letting technology progress at its natural rate. No, let's just tweak current outdated technology and make money hand-over-fist again. Bastards.

</rant>

Today I have seen the Nintendo 3DS in action, and I have complete blind faith in the new PlayStation handheld console. To be honest I think the 3D effect is superbly craptastic, even at the so-called "best position" for the eyes. 3D is such a hype in my opinion, and I hope it fails even harder than all the garbage from the 70s (3D movies).

For the rest I've never had any problems with Sony, and I have owned a lot of their electronics. They are pretty harsh with the Linux community though, which I think is really ridiculous.

Interesting. I'm aware of physical shutter glasses (aka nose-shavers) but I didn't think LCDs were fast enough to cope with switching off and on 120 times a second until quite recently.

Also, what's this new 3d technology?

Interesting. I'm aware of physical shutter glasses (aka nose-shavers) but I didn't think LCDs were fast enough to cope with switching off and on 120 times a second until quite recently.
LCDs have only recently been able to handle 120hz. I was referring to CRT for which active sync glasses were compatible with all TVs, not just those that it was designed for.

Also, what's this new 3d technology?
Lenticular lenses, the technology that powers the 3DS. Technically it's also old technology but it's being used in entirely new ways now. If setup properly, you get a 3D image when you sit in the "sweet spot", and anywhere outside of that gets only a 2D view, which is much better than what you currently get with SONY's 3D TVs. Glasses free, and even if you're not able to see the 3D you can still see the 2D. It's been used on desktop LCD displays for months now, but I doubt we'll see it in TVs any time soon thanks to SONY. 3D TV seems to have become synonymous with expensive bulky glasses.

I voted no. Because there is no faith in Sony I could have lost.
That's why there's an "other" option. Stop tainting the experiment. :(

LCDs have only recently been able to handle 120hz. I was referring to CRT for which active sync glasses were compatible with all TVs, not just those that it was designed for.
But did these active sync glasses use LCDs for the eyepieces or rotating blades (hence the 'nose-shavers')? The LCD elements in modern active shutter glasses also need to be able to switch at 120Hz.

Lenticular lenses, the technology that powers the 3DS. Technically it's also old technology but it's being used in entirely new ways now. If setup properly, you get a 3D image when you sit in the "sweet spot", and anywhere outside of that gets only a 2D view, which is much better than what you currently get with SONY's 3D TVs. Glasses free, and even if you're not able to see the 3D you can still see the 2D. It's been used on desktop LCD displays for months now, but I doubt we'll see it in TVs any time soon thanks to SONY. 3D TV seems to have become synonymous with expensive bulky glasses.
Hmm. The 3DS does not show a 2D images outside the sweet spot, although I think that's down to the way the parallax barrier is implemented using a mask. With a proper barrier viewers outside the sweet spot should only see one of the two 2d images being broadcast, I imagine. I don't see this as ideal for family TV viewing however - personally I favour the polarised glasses method (also a very old method) which you *can* buy (LG make a TV with it for example - though it only does half resolution in 3D) - arguably the success of fancy glasses 3D TV is taking money from the further development of that.

But did these active sync glasses use LCDs for the eyepieces or rotating blades (hence the 'nose-shavers')? The LCD elements in modern active shutter glasses also need to be able to switch at 120Hz.

I had a pair of these back in 1998, so yes, LCD has been able to switch at 120Hz since at least then. IIRC, I went up to a 75Hz stable display (which meant that the glasses were switching at 150Hz).

D.

Back