Hardcore Homebrew (hh)?

Squidge posted on Jul 8 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
The easiest way to take over the machine is to stick a routine in the reset vector and cause a watchdog timeout.

HH was thought to be the best way forwards to get the most performance out of the machine. However, with some hacking, we can get almost identical performance from linux, and reap all the benefits of linux as well (easier developing & debugging, ready made libraries & device drivers, etc).

HH-mode just isn't necessary any more, and with more and more people wanting to use the usb networking and mass storage features (to run apps and stuff from external harddisks, pendrives, etc) it is becoming inpractical.

Of course, if your only interested in HH-mode, then the best way to go is probably by grabbing the latest SDK (still Dec'05 I think), hacking up a u-boot to stop it from booting linux, and uploading your code direct to memory via uboots binary load commands, and executing it from there.

Could you re-post your second cpu example perhaps, if you still have it. Here is the problem I am comfortable at the bit and register level. Understanding how to get mmap to do this or that to take over memory, just dont get it without an example, then I get it. I am the opposite of a typical user, instead of the first program being hello world the first program turns on an led or puts voltage on a pin so that it can be read with a volt meter. Second program turns off the led. third program blinks the led. fourth program controls the rate at which the led blinks. then put a pixel on the screen, then text, then eventually Hello World!. From what I see at this point there is an os and an mmu in my way...Maybe not, I wll go RTFM...

Changing bootloaders before I have had time to even learn the machine usually ends up in a bricked console, I dont even know enough to know if you can really brick the console or if there is an if all else fails bootloader you can use to re-build the system, like the ipod, or the handspring pda I used to have.

What does trampoline do in the sdk2x?

Sorry if I am ressurecting yet another dead thread, never knew you had to start a new thread every time you wanted to talk about the same topic with the same people...

Thanks,
David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back