Halo Wars

OH GOD!
its starcraft: ghost but in reverse
this wont end well
oh, no, no it wont.
i never though id see the day when RTS's would be the domain of gamer jocks

Then wasn't it a 3rd person tactical shooter?
Oh halo, we love you and your ridiculous shenanigans.
I'll probably pick it up from its likely bargain bin home, at least as long as the cutscenes continue to look delicious.

roflwaffles said:
Then wasn't it a 3rd person tactical shooter?
Yes, It was going to be one of the first 3D RTS games and they were doing some third person stuff to make sure the characters looked they way they wanted and moved the way they wanted and found that playing around with one of the characters in third person was fun so they changed the game. I am not sure how it became first person. According to rumor they could not get the camera to work the way they wanted in third person.

True.
I still have the little pre-Halo 2 documentary, shows a lot of footage of it in it's RTS stage, lots of gameplay footage etc.
So Halo Wars isn't really a horrible random genre cross-over...

Having said that, I never liked Halo. (Covers face and curls into defensive ball)

MartinStatic said:
True.
I still have the little pre-Halo 2 documentary, shows a lot of footage of it in it's RTS stage, lots of gameplay footage etc.

Having said that, I never liked Halo. (Covers face and curls into defensive ball)
you really expect to pick up flack for disliking halo on a forum about a handheld dedicated to retro gaming?

youre more likely to get applause

MartinStatic said:
True.

It's kinda overrated, like Call of Duty 4.

Halo is an nice idea for an Sci-Fi book. After all, games are for entertainment, and entertainment needs to come quickly, but stay short so you will want more. Too much entertainment in an game makes it boring as you start expecting too much of it, especially in the sequels.
And that is where Bungie failed. Though Halo 2 was an great game, it didnt add enough to keep it exciting, and fanboys got more reasons to either love m$ or hate it. Exact same with Halo 3 to tell you the truth.

Books however, stay entertaining no matter how many times you read them, especially if they are good, like War of the Worlds and the Harry Potter series(no matter if you hate the poor bastard, the text is written very well :D ).

and all of this, is my opinion 0(^-^)0

I have a few reasons for disliking Halo:

1. Space is not a good theme for video games
2. Aliens are not a good enemy, it's too over-done
3. Microsoft
4. It's too popular

lulzfish i hope you were being facetious.
Mithrildor said:
halo wars is interesting for online multiplayer. But nothing more. Halo sucks for me anyway because I dislike games without any RPG elements
yeah i hate when games are based on skill, reflexes, or strategy

I love halo for its gameplay. The singleplayer part sucks - no question. But its one of the games which you can play with your noob friends in co-op and the multiplayer is probably one of the best I have ever played in Halo 1 and Halo 2!
The physics feel slow but once you get closer to your enemys everything is happening quite fast. You can play different tactics with the snipers which reveal your position and the shield which reloads, the duck function which hides you from the radar etc.
Halo 3 was fun in singleplayer (I completed every difficulty in sp and co-op - yay :p) but its less fun in multiplayer matches because you have to wait about 5 minutes in the lobby until you get to play which is really annoying. The achievements are also making me angry because people just meet to get them. Sidewinder was also ruined with the re-make I think.

Still a good game to play with friends.

PS: Don't judge by the pc versions, they suck compared to the xbox versions imo

lulzfish said:

Um. Elite? Frontier?

3. Microsoft
4. It's too popular

Not sure about point 2 - there's plenty of scope for aliens, if done well. My favourite books are the Known-space stories by Larry Niven, and they use aliens aplenty.

Agreed on the last two though - though I did enjoy Halo 1 until the the story jumped the shark and introduced the flood.

D.

Dunny said:
lulzfish said:

Um. Elite? Frontier?

3. Microsoft
4. It's too popular

Not sure about point 2 - there's plenty of scope for aliens, if done well. My favourite books are the Known-space stories by Larry Niven, and they use aliens aplenty.

Agreed on the last two though - though I did enjoy Halo 1 until the the story jumped the shark and introduced the flood.

D.

1. idea is overused and generic
2. most people can't think of a better enemy
3. screw microsoft
4. true, popular stuff usually does suck, but sometimes it can be good.

Lord_Doku said:
Halo is an nice idea for an Sci-Fi book. After all, games are for entertainment, and entertainment needs to come quickly, but stay short so you will want more. Too much entertainment in an game makes it boring as you start expecting too much of it, especially in the sequels.
And that is where Bungie failed. Though Halo 2 was an great game, it didnt add enough to keep it exciting, and fanboys got more reasons to either love m$ or hate it. Exact same with Halo 3 to tell you the truth.

Books however, stay entertaining no matter how many times you read them, especially if they are good, like War of the Worlds and the Harry Potter series(no matter if you hate the poor bastard, the text is written very well :D ).

and all of this, is my opinion 0(^-^)0

I read a couple of Halo novels, they were quite well written.

Back