Haiku Os Arm Port Confirmed Gsoc

'dflemstr' said:
'StreaK' said:
Rep.2 Like in linux world, some app have source , some not, but mainly if you have actual and working email to original author of the program, you'll get sources :)

What I meant was that it would be like in Fedora or Ubuntu. In Ubuntu every package that has sources available has those sources 'attached' to it. So you can say "apt-get source <package>" and you get it's source. Then you wouldn't have to contact all the authors to port all the packages, but could instead do it with a bash script and a cross-compiler.
We shouldnt forget that mostly all apps for BeOS was created in 2000-2002 when nobody think about releasing all package with source binded. You know, everyone uses modem's and internet crawls slowly in 2000 [ for example in Poland :) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
also loads of programs for BeOS ram on PPC and x86 ... and haiku is apparently proving portable as well with PPC m68k MIPS and now ARM ports in varying states of progress

This is the best news I've seen this year so far.

An introduction from the GSoC coder that is working on the project
CODE
http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/pfoetchen/2009-04-21/porting_haiku_arm_architecture

hopefully he will have time to get the framebuffer and input working :)

From page:

CODE

http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/pfoetchen/2009-04-21/porting_haiku_arm_architecture

[cite]
"...Since the beagleboard I want to target already has "Das U-boot" bootloader install"
[/cite]

So officialy Haiku goes to beagleboard and ... for Pandora, yeah :)

OP - Fantastic! This was one of the posts I've been waiting for - Haiku and the Pandora/Beagle was a match made in computer hobbyist/ OS geek heaven and this thread is proof I'm not the only who's been eagerly speculating its birth.

This year I'm sure we'll see Haiku finally becoming easy to install as a regular OS and even a (alpha/beta) release and so its user base and the amount of interest in BeOS should increase significantly when these two things have happened.

Of course, Linux has a good 10+ years head start and is only just starting to hassle consumer computing and the mainstream- wouldn't it be funny if interest (at least among developers, initially) exploded in Haiku as a alt. desktop and it ended up overtaking Linux in popularity in the next 3-5 years? No way is it budging Linux from the servers or going to be causing a mass migration of Windows users but in a few years time it could be a real 'threat' to the mythical year of the Linux desktop that the free software nay-sayers love to mock so.

Saying that, a stable Haiku w/ Gallium and proper 3D accel. could well become THE gamers platform of choice- if most the big software houses supported it. Do you want carry on running and patching XP forever? Its not as ridiculous as it might sound as (game) devs always complain about the difficulty of developing for Linux and many flavours of distro and varying 'standards'. There will no doubt be Haiku derivative distros but there will be one, central, definitive base, APIs and standards which Linux has never had. LSB is a joke.

IMO ... someone should send this guy a dev unit. He's in Germany, ED could ship one down the road to him.

Would be good PR also.

'danboid' said:
... devs always complain about the difficulty of developing for Linux and many flavours of distro and varying 'standards'.
Main reason why i'll never get into linux. There will be always windows partiton on my HDD [until HaikuOS Final Comes. Then i will shout "The wait is over, Windows RIP" ]

danboid said:
Saying that, a stable Haiku w/ Gallium and proper 3D accel. could well become THE gamers platform of choice- if most the big software houses supported it. Do you want carry on running and patching XP forever? Its not as ridiculous as it might sound as (game) devs always complain about the difficulty of developing for Linux and many flavours of distro and varying 'standards'. There will no doubt be Haiku derivative distros but there will be one, central, definitive base, APIs and standards which Linux has never had. LSB is a joke.

I agree with you fully, and also think that the Haiku platform will take over the open-source desktop, especially in the multimedia and design businesses. The Haiku platform has unmatched performance when it comes to graphics and media in general, since a graphics and sound API is built into and tightly integrated with the core system.
Linux is moving in this direction as well with the new Kernel ModeSetting support as an attempt to integrate the GUI with the kernel, but BeOS is WAY ahead when it comes to this particular aspect of an OS.

The major obstacle in the way of Haiku at the moment, though, is probably compatibility. If someone manages to do things like porting GTK and Qt, integrating PulseAudio with Haiku and writes wrappers for ALSA and OSS, then I believe that more people will consider switching. As it is now, though, this doesn't seem to be happening, at least in the nearest future; even if Haiku gets a few GSoC students to work on it, this won't make any big difference in the long run (just remember how many people are working on Linux projects with GSoC). And how many students are actually assigned to the Haiku project? Something like 6 persons I've heard?

StreaK said:
OSS is already ported. I've used it in my last nightly build from last month. Works in MSI WInd but not perfect. Sound sometimes disappears / or have over-peak level but works.

Ported or wrapped? Because if it's completely ported, I wouldn't prefer using it. It's better to have one sound API and many "compatibility plug-ins" for other APIs than having many APIs (see Linux: ALSA, OSS, ARTS, PulseAudio, ESD, JACK, etc..., or Windows: DirectAudio, Windows Media (?), OpenAL, Wave-out etc).

'dflemstr' said:
And how many students are actually assigned to the Haiku project? Something like 6 persons I've heard?
Im not sure in status quo, but there was few [3] professional dev'ers involved in Haiku project some time ago. They've even get salary for working on haiku. How's the situation right now, hard to tell...

'dflemstr' said:
'StreaK' said:
OSS is already ported. I've used it in my last nightly build from last month. Works in MSI WInd but not perfect. Sound sometimes disappears / or have over-peak level but works.

Ported or wrapped? Because if it's completely ported, I wouldn't prefer using it. It's better to have one sound API and many "compatibility plug-ins" for other APIs than having many APIs (see Linux: ALSA, OSS, ARTS, PulseAudio, ESD, JACK, etc..., or Windows: DirectAudio, Windows Media (?), OpenAL, Wave-out etc).
Ported -> for example -> http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Announ...-to-BeOSHaiku,1

I dont' think there are any full time devs on Haiku atm but there are a good number of devs working on it every day as can be seen from the SVN commits and blogs

also gcc4 and gallium3d softpipe and gnash have been recently ported

StreaK posted on Apr 22 2009 at 10:00 PM said:
And how many students are actually assigned to the Haiku project? Something like 6 persons I've heard?
Im not sure in status quo, but there was few [3] professional dev'ers involved in Haiku project some time ago. They've even get salary for working on haiku. How's the situation right now, hard to tell...

, OpenAL, Wave-out etc"].
Ported -> for example -> http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Announ...-to-BeOSHaiku,1[/quote]I don't think you can use OSS API in Haiku. If I remember correct OSS is a sound "addon" using the MediaKit in Haiku, that way we don't need to change out mediaplayer and other tools we have.

Back