Hacked Psp Vs. Gp2x

zfunk007

Still Fresh
I have been considering both of these and I was wondering which is better for emulation of older systems like SNES, Genesis/Megadrive and NES. A hacked PSP or the GP2X? Anyone know the differences? Or how games run on each of them? I'm sorry if this has been brought up before (because I'm sure it has) but I'd like to know. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

for the screen to emulation ratio, the GP2X is better, simply because you won't have those big black lines on the side of your screen. The PSP has more power, but has to constantly compete with firmware updates, which can get annoying (i have a developer on the PSP 1.5 platform and i am currently waiting to order my GP2X thanks to the awsome people on these forums who helped me out). so all in all, for how many emualtors there are for each, and what they do, the GP2X is better for emulation.

Yeah I've been reading through some of the threads I found here about this subject and it is very interesting. I now think the GP2X is definetly a better choice. And the fact that so many things are emulated after only a few months is impressive. I'm just wondering if all the systems from the 8 and 16-bit generations will be able to be emulated at full speed. That is my main interest.

I may wait a few months though simply to see how it progresses.

8 and 16 bit should not be the problem. It gets interesting when it comes to systems like the SNES or gameboy advance. Time will tell...
8 and 16 bit systems can be emulated perfectly, or so I believe ^^
check out the wiki! There is an entry about the possibility of certain systems to be emulated which works well for description!

8-bit: Definitely, though they aren't quite yet.
16-bit: Probably, though SNES may never be full speed *with* transparencies (although the workarounds currently in place do a good job of dealing with them regardless). Genesis is near perfect, as is Atari ST.

There's nothing wrong with holding off for a little while to see what the scene does, though - I only jumped on at the start because of the development of TV-out. Wait a while or get now - either way you'll enjoy it as and when. And of course, you don't have to worry about some friend plugging in a game too new to try it out that he just bought at the shop, and accidentally frying your ability to play homebrew ;)

If you take a look at the front page, every day you'll see a new development. That's the speed that this device is moving. I'd advise getting it.

If you want good NES and SNES emu now than get a PSP they are both about fullspeed. The downsides are firmware and the cost of it with a memory stick. If you want to have EMU no matter what get a GP2X.

I'm a bit disappointed we havent got some of the older emulators yet for the GP2X. I presume fday will solve all of that but at the moment i'm really missing my Sega Master System, MSX, Colecovision etc emulators.

Cant wait for those older system emulators to be released

psj3809 posted on Mar 10 2006 at 01:55 PM said:
I'm a bit disappointed we havent got some of the older emulators yet for the GP2X.  I presume fday will solve all of that but at the moment i'm really missing my Sega Master System, MSX, Colecovision etc emulators.

Cant wait for those older system emulators to be released
Colecovision works GREAT with telengard's MESS. Have you tried it? With Mess you also get a decent Atari 7800, a TI99, AppleIIe/c/+ and coco emulator with the package. Also an Odyssey emulator that is far from perfect, but which is probably aout as good as can be expected since that scene isn't happenin much...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a GP2X and a Psp which is 1.5 firmware. I do not really use my GP2X much at all but I use my Psp for all emulation which includes Snes, Nes, Sega, GBC/GB, C64, GBA and more. It is possible to run emulators and homebrew on all firmwares at the moment but 1.5 is the best for ease of use, convenience as well as full kernel mode access with 2.0 coming in at a close second.

As time has gone by, more of the Psp's hardware and capabilities is being utilised in emulation, the most recent being the Media Engine and before this being it's 3D GPU.

The Psp has a standard 333MHZ CPU, a second CPU called the Media Engine which can run at 333MHZ, a third CPU (or 3D GPU) which can run at 166MHZ and it also has VFPU.

The next release of the Snes emulator will be utilising all of these but what will make the most impact (in my opinion) is that the entire sound emulation will be moved to the Media Engine, the 3D GPU can already be used to deal with the graphics emulation so this will leave the main CPU with less load. There will also be wifi which has already been demonstrated. The snes emulation is near full speed already so I expect even more when all of the sound emulation is being dealt with by a totally seperate processor.

When it comes to the GP2X, I think it is already very good but it just needs time to mature. The Psp has been out for over a year so of course emulation will be at a higher level, however I do think that it will most likely stay a step ahead due to its power and 3D capabilities. With regards to the Psp's wide screen being a disadvantage, I have not found this to be so. The most recent Snes emulator has screen caliberation which allows you to adjust the screen exactly how you wish.

My advice would be to purchase any Psp that has firmware only up to 2.0 because this can be downgraded for 100% homebrew or kept as it is for 80-85% with no kernel mode.

Phil posted on Mar 10 2006 at 09:25 PM said:
Yeah but don't forget. The joystick is really lame. But otherwise it's McAwesome.
This is 100% correct. The PSP isn't without control problems, but it's a total showstopper on the GP2X.

I was really scared about the joystick from people's comment here but I bought a GP2X nonetheless.

Now I really can't see what some people are talking about. I have just the standard stick and I've had no problems playing games. I've played a hell of a lot of Sonic, Shinobi, TMNT, Chess etc etc etc and never had a problem personally.

So, personally, I can't understand the reports of the stick being a "showstopper".

zfunk007 posted on Mar 10 2006 at 03:09 AM said:
I'm sorry if this has been brought up before (because I'm sure it has) but I'd like to know.
You are right: it has been brought up before. I think there is at least one topic a day about PSP vs. GP2X.

I'm impressed with SNES on PSP, but then GP2x SNES is almost there now anyway.

The N64 emu on the PSp has just been released, though it only plays one or two games, and then only at about 5fps. Apparently, it'll imporve a lot, but I still dont think it'll ever be good enough (though I hope to be proved wrong).

GP2x is still miles better overall... :)

Lodis posted on Mar 10 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
With regards to the Psp's wide screen being a disadvantage, I have not found this to be so. The most recent Snes emulator has screen caliberation which allows you to adjust the screen exactly how you wish.

While you can adjust it how you wish there is really no good setting. When displayed at 1:1 the screen displayed is sharp but small with a large border, smaller than when running on the GP2X at 1:1. Every stretch mode other than 1:1 on the PSP gives a larger size but suffers from horrible pixel distortion and blurring due to the filtering. Then you have the slow refresh rate that leaves smeary trails behind fast moving objects. So basically you only have the choice between small and sharp or blurry and large, which IS a disadvantage.

SNES will be better speed wise on the PSP because of the faster CPU and useable co-processors. It seems that the second core on the GP2X is not much use for emulation due to memory access and small cache. Don't expect SNES at a speed with transparencies comparable to the PSP SNES emu. The lack of transparencies on the GP2X is a downer but other than that it will probably run full speed someday.

How is the PSP with neogeo arcade? After just trying the latest beta on the gp2x I'd be interested to hear how the psp measures up especially on the very big roms.

craigix posted on Mar 11 2006 at 04:04 AM said:
How is the PSP with neogeo arcade? After just trying the latest beta on the gp2x I'd be interested to hear how the psp measures up especially on the very big roms.

I think PSP only has Neo CD. They don't have MVS yet I think due to RAM limitations.

Back