Guide: Installing Truetype Fonts

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
I'm a sucker for the oldIBM DOS ASCII font... I know I feel old. So, here's a quick quide to installing fonts on the Pandora.

If you don't mind modifying the NAND or if you're booting from SD, you can simply download the .ttf files directly to /home/[username]/.fonts and they will appear in your font lists.

There's a way to install additional fonts without doing too much damage to the NAND. It means you have to leave a card permanently in one of your card slots.

1) Download the TrueType font(s) you want to install and put them in a directory called "fonts" on one of your SD cards.

2) Open a terminal and type
Code:
cd ~
ln -s /media/[SD card id]/fonts .fonts

This creates a Symbolic Link from .fonts in your home folder to fonts on your SD card. Symbolic links don't take up any space, they just modify the directory structure a bit. It's a freebie, so to speak.

As long as you don't remove or unmount the card any fonts you place in the folder on your SD card will be available to your applications. This link should persist if an accident would occur, and magically reconnect when the SD card becomes available again.

Back