Gta Announced For Ipad - When Do We Emulate?

gp32rich

Never been accused of being subtle
Website
www.geocities.com
http://www.reghardware.com/2010/09/10/grand_theft_auto_mac_launch/ said:
Rockstar Games is to release the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy on the Mac "most likely later this year", the publisher said in a Q&A posted on its website.

The three games are Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Rockstar is promising much "more info and a proper announcement soon".

Yesterday the publisher launched Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars HD for the iPad.

This boils down to 50 missions, sundry side activities and touch screen controls for "gamers on the go". You can also customise the soundtrack using music stored on your iTunes library.

It costs £5.99 from the App Store.
So my questions ...
  • just how much more power does the iPad have over Pandora
  • will there ever be enough (users|money) to get Rockstar to *ahem* allow a port?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.reghardware.com/2010/09/10/grand_theft_auto_mac_launch/ said:
So my questions ...
  • just how much more power does the iPad have over Pandora
  • will there ever be enough (users|money) to get Rockstar to *ahem* allow a port?

the ipad has a 1ghz cpu so we can sort of get near that with overclocking but i doubt rockstar would even consider porting it to the pandora even if users waved money at them. at the end of the day their games normally shift around the 100,000+ in the first month or so and since theres only a small number of pandoras it seems this wont ever happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually believe (I have to) the Samsung Galaxy S (1GHz A8/512mb RAM/SGX540) could do Gran Theft Auto 3 at 800x480.

But I know it would require some optimizations, such as running native (eg via Maemo/MeeGo/Ubuntu/Froyo-NDK).
And it would be sweet, cause it would mean (maybe if settings tweeked/weakened) Liberty City Stories, Vice City, Vice City Stories, San Andreas games on the go!

It only mentions Chinatown Wars for the iPad, the big ones (unsurprisingly) it says in that quote are for the Mac.

We've seen what can be accomplished with big budgets, lots of talent and optimisations. The hardware is capable of a lot, we're slightly under-powered in comparison with the GPU and the clock speed of the CPU but similar things could be accomplished given big backing. It just takes a lot of time and money. I highly doubt any sort of port. I'm hoping this is further confirmation that Steam on Linux is coming though. It gives developers even more reason to build things with portability, and cross platform compatibility in mind, in my opinion.

Back