Greatest Retro Games Of All Time?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 11 2007 at 05:17 PM said:
Saw this AOL article and decided to post it. Anyone agree? Disagree?

linky link
I totally disagree with this. Burgertime is awkward, difficult and not really well known enough to become the all time greatest retro game. If I were to make a choice of what is my all time greatest retro game, it would have to be one of the following:

Berzerk
Space Invaders
Pacman
Donkey Kong
Defender
Battle Zone
Pole Position - No rude jokes please.
Jetpac
Manic Miner

Burgertime doesn't come even close to those.

Edit: I haven't put that list in any order, I just wrote them as I thought of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 11 2007 at 12:33 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 11 2007 at 05:17 PM said:
Saw this AOL article and decided to post it. Anyone agree? Disagree?

linky link
I totally disagree with this. Burgertime is awkward, difficult and not really well known enough to become the all time greatest retro game. If I were to make a choice of what is my all time greatest retro game, it would have to be one of the following:

Berzerk
Space Invaders
Pacman
Donkey Kong
Defender
Battle Zone
Pole Position - No rude jokes please.
Jetpac
Manic Miner

Burgertime doesn't come even close to those.
I think pacman should probably be number 1, i mean, it's so epic that kids of all ages play it (still), and it's even in pizzarias all over. The game is probably the best known within every age group.

but I agree, burgertime? meh.

On the news a little while ago, they had some young children who had never heard of Pac Man before. They complained it was too slow and boring compared to new games :S

Orkie posted on Feb 11 2007 at 05:42 PM said:
On the news a little while ago, they had some young children who had never heard of Pac Man before. They complained it was too slow and boring compared to new games :S
Yes but we're talking retro, you cannot compare Pacman to Doom 3 or Halflife. The term retro means something like "relating to, or reminiscent of things past", and how can kids do that when they literally do not have our past. Children cannot feel fondness about old style graphics, audio and gameplay as they are brought up with mega 3D graphics engines. It's a bit like us comparing Pacman to a stick and hoop.

I agree to some degree with an earlier post that Pacman should be No. 1, But Space Invaders really started the video game craze. Even though it wasn't the first video game, it's the one that really did it. And because of that, it should be No. 1. We owe 90% of space shooters to that game, it's where it all started. I should know, as I was there!!!!

Yes, I'm glad I was born 18 years ago. Kids these days don't even know how a NES looked like. Yesterday I had a chat with a 12y old. He couldn't remember the name a a shooter on the first Nintendo he said. So I was guessing; Contra. Eventually he remembered... "Perfect Dark" :lol:

He thought N64 was the first Nintendo.. Kids these days :lol:

EDIT: All the old arcade games; PacMan, Space Invaders great games. But which arcade game isn't ;)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 11 2007 at 12:56 PM said:
Orkie posted on Feb 11 2007 at 05:42 PM said:
Yes but we're talking retro, you cannot compare Pacman to Doom 3 or Halflife. The term retro means something like "relating to, or reminiscent of things past", and how can kids do that when they literally do not have our past. Children cannot feel fondness about old style graphics, audio and gameplay as they are brought up with mega 3D graphics engines. It's a bit like us comparing Pacman to a stick and hoop.

I agree to some degree with an earlier post that Pacman should be No. 1, But Space Invaders really started the video game craze.
well.....pong? :p

I only agree with the inclusion of Ms. Pacman on that list. That is the game I remember playing all throughout my youth and I still do play it. Having just watched that episode of Futurama where Fry is playing space invaders trying to save the world and with Captain Colon Pacman in it really brings back memories.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 11 2007 at 06:12 PM said:
well.....pong? :p
No Pong did not have the impact, don't forget what happened when space invaders was released as it caused a coin shortage in japan. That is an amazing feet for any video game.

I'm only 14, but the retro games have always had a large impact on me. I grew up on the NES and the SNES.

I didn't grow up with the arcade machines, but from what I've heard, Asteroids left a big hole in my dads wallet.

fluffyhamster posted on Feb 11 2007 at 03:27 PM said:
I'm only 14, but the retro games have always had a large impact on me. I grew up on the NES and the SNES.
Im 19, and even I barely grew up with the NES. My gaming career really began towards the middle of the SNES era ;)

Sorry mate, I call BS.

I'm 16 and grew up with a snes emulator installed by my mother and a classic b/w.
Snes emulator gave me my fondness for classic rpg's (FF5 and mario RPG were my first) and because I played the old gb and gbc all the time I've never cared for graphics but more for gameplay, hence why I'm more into retrogames.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 12 2007 at 02:00 AM said:
Im 19, and even I barely grew up with the NES. My gaming career really began towards the middle of the SNES era ;)

Sorry mate, I call BS.
What's to say fluffyhamster didn't have a NES and SNES in the house when growing up? Just because they weren't the latest thing doesn't mean they didn't have them.

Orkie posted on Feb 12 2007 at 05:07 PM said:

Sorry mate, I call BS.
What's to say fluffyhamster didn't have a NES and SNES in the house when growing up? Just because they weren't the latest thing doesn't mean they didn't have them.

Exactly.

DCGM, you can be such a twerp!

lubidog posted on Feb 12 2007 at 11:21 AM said:
Orkie posted on Feb 12 2007 at 05:07 PM said:

Sorry mate, I call BS.

Exactly.

DCGM, you can be such a twerp!
no no, I'm definitely correct on this, trust me.

craigix posted on Feb 12 2007 at 05:32 PM said:
IMO Manic Miner is about as close to perfect as you can get.
bought manic miner when i was about 8 years old before i even had a spectrum, only had a zx81 at the time. it "kinda" forced my folks to get me a spectrum for crimbo.

Back