GPSmack!

Hey :)

Thanks for the great support and emails, they really help!

I'll post when I am near to releasing something, so you all have time to fill up with juicy wavs. Just single drum hits will be supported in the next release.

I still haven't tackled the timing issue, I'm probably doing it very wrong.
I'm just gonna concentrate on adding the wav support for the moment.
The plan is to have an actual sample editor as part of the program, for topping and tailing and maybe some simple fades, I don't know yet.
The quality of sample CD's varies, it would be a pain to throw a few megs of samples on your smc, then get on the train or whatever and find that they're not edited properly.

Is everyone happy with the way it looks and the way the controls are set up?
Nows a good time to voice all your quibbles! :)

wub.

fabulous - i am a 'dumb' drumma and i really use this yes really and truly, you can't beat it for inspired moments on the move !

wavs will be the business

NOO! not just drum hits - LOOPS!!!

a cubase style layout would be good... i.e. a 'zoom out...'

EDIT: loops are more important than a softsynth... a top'n'tailer would be good though...

a music sequencer is my top-of the list for GP32... good job The Wub... how many different samples are you allowing on next release?

whatever it is it'll be worth it... i'd donate to a cause like this...

Why is everybody so excited about this new version of GPSmack? I didn't find the first one too fun, but it was ok. What will be the advantage of this wav support? Also, would it be possible to assign beats to the different buttons on the GP32 so that you could create beats by pressing the buttons?

>Why is everybody so excited about this new version of GPSmack?<

because muso geeks get turned on making music on the move.. the inspiration comes along and kazam.. you can capture it.. great if you are a drummer..

>What will be the advantage of this wav support?<

2 things possibly - different drumkit sounds could be imported. there are some seriously professional sounding samples out there of the best drums in the world. plus percussion etc...

also for loops - very handy.

>Also, would it be possible to assign beats to the different buttons on the GP32 so that you could create beats by pressing the buttons? <

hey i love the sound of that ! program in a backbeat and then tappety tap on top ! cool idea

did someone mention basslines somewhere ?

i agree with the comment about cubase and contributing for this - has a lot of potential as a sequencer

I think it might have been me that mentioned the bass lines ;)

I'm gonna add the single hits first because it involves very little extra work to the main sequencer engine. As for loops, I'm a bit unsure of how this would work.
Would people want to be able to have, say, a synth pad loop that plays continuously so they can create a drum loop behind it?
My timing routines would need to be spot on for that to be practical....
What do people want to do with loops?

Well, I have updated the 15 day compo release to use my new faster graphics and font routines (thanks lyc!) and I have started tidying the code up a bit. Already with just these improvements the timing is a little more controllable. I have also got the file selector working now, I'll post a really sexy screenshot over the weekend if I can :)

Just for the sake of asking, what would people prefer; a genuine midi/audio sequencer cakewalk/cubase stylee or a Gameboy/Psx "Music" thingee?

If things work out really well with the wavs I may have to go for it with one of these ideas...

Sorry to keep making big posts on this, I have lots of ideas now I'm thinking more about it...

Would people want to be able to have, say, a synth pad loop that plays continuously so they can create a drum loop behind it?

Just for the sake of asking, what would people prefer; a genuine midi/audio sequencer cakewalk/cubase stylee or a Gameboy/Psx "Music" thingee?

If things work out really well with the wavs I may have to go for it with one of these ideas...

Sorry to keep making big posts on this, I have lots of ideas now I'm thinking more about it...
i'm thinking a full cubase style midi/audio sequencer would be too complex to program... but like a hybrid between one of those and the easier ones (dance ejay etc.) would be cool...

midi would be a bonus but i'm not *that* bothered...

like a sample sequencer... 8meg of memory 4-track audio with basic sample editing sounds just like my old sampler... :)

add support for downsampling (lower quality but longer time) and this would be class!

hell it would be a reason for going with the RAM upgrade ;)

this would be a gp32 Killer App ... QY70? pah! hehehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya, hope i am not too late to chip in.

Have you played around with any of the gameboy music software lsdj and nanoloop? play around in an emulator and see how these are set out. LSDj is surprisingly powerful for composing on the move and I use nanoloop live all the time at gigs, I have a midi sync cable and sync it up with my mpc (sampling drum machine) Actually the mpc OS might be an interesting one to look at as well if you are not going down the tracker route. (if you live anywere near the north uk I'll show you:))

You could have the same layout as you have now but a way of scrolling between several different screens each containing a different sample patch, i.e. screen one sequenced drum sample, screen 2 playing loops, sreen 3 fm synth or something, that would be neato.

Maybe a way of making sample packs on the pc then importing them might save time?

I think that a sample editor on the gp32 is a truly astounding idea fantastic.

Also here we go into the crazy ideas, how about effects ;) or supporting recycle files ha ha. Or a way of importing midi files to play samples in a sequence?

AAh dont worry I'm not really asking for the moon on a stick just joining in with the suggenstions

If there is anything I can do to help (road testing it in a live situation?) also if you do get quite far with it I am organising an event in Newcastle for next year (micromusic type thing) it would be good to get you up here to talk about it. expenses and reasonable fee covered of course.

ta

spoony

I think it might have been me that mentioned the bass lines ;)

I'm gonna add the single hits first because it involves very little extra work to the main sequencer engine. As for loops, I'm a bit unsure of how this would work.

Well, I have updated the 15 day compo release to use my new faster graphics and font routines (thanks lyc!) and I have started tidying the code up a bit. Already with just these improvements the timing is a little more controllable. I have also got the file selector working now, I'll post a really sexy screenshot over the weekend if I can :)

If it were at all possible, I'd love a cakewalk type thing (even better would be Sibelius, but that's, methinks, out of the question)

However, I know there's many who prefer things like fruityloops, and I suspect that sort of coding would prolly be easier than doing a midi synthesizer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back