Gpscumm: Site down & compressed talkie files

scottm

Website
www.kaiserpc.co.uk
Hi,

does anyone know why the gpscumm site is currently down (http://people.inf.elte.hu/ph0x/gpscumm/) ??

Also at what version of scumm can we compress the "talkie" files down to a reasonable level and is anyone currently looking at doing this?

Also (yes I know another "also"), what is the legal position if I own a non-talkie version of the game and I download the speech files e.g. I currently have the non-talkie version of Indiana Jones ATFOA, Monkey Island I & II (on 3.5" disks) - not that I know where to download the speech files mind.

Great program though - and one of the main reasons I bought my GP32 :D

No idea why the site is down; hopfully you'll find the newest release somewhere around here though - download section or something. There's not been an update since March, so don't worry too much about not having the site there...

Talkie files, at the moment, do not compress - there isn't MP3 or OGG support within the current build. It's been planned in future releases, but none of those have yet made it to press (and I've not heard about them for a while - probably pressures elsewhere in life meaning no work is happening on them or something).

Once they *do* they'll prolly be based on ScummVM 5, BTW, which means BASS ougt to work as well. And *possibly* Flight of the Amazon Queen. Both of which are two stupidly fun games :D

Hey, would anyone be so kind as to list what games for gpscumm that they have got working properly? Or better yet, what games they have working and at what capacity. I've been browsing the forums and some folks say BASS works but doesnt support speech well or something. And then someone else said it works good but there is a part that hangs bla bla fragment memory.

I'm going to do some experimenting now so I'll be back. I wonder if loom works good, and if so does the sound work (being that the game is heavily reliant on music) Thanks in advance gprobots.

You're welcome, gpmaster. My experience has been limited to:

Day of the Tentacle: Works! Saving is easy, no speech save the intro. Using the computer in the game does not render the original Maniac Mansion, but in time folks..

Secret of Monkey Island: Works! There is a funny problem that won't let you save your game, but I remember reading about a simple hex fix on the forum.

Sam 'n Max: Works! I am kind of disappointed with the game itself, having read such glowing reviews. It seems there's no way out of the in-game road challenge, but having never played this game on PC, I might be missing something here??

Haven't tried Loom or the others yet..

Hmm... I always though you didn't actually have to do the road bits of Sam and Max; thin i managed to avoid it; they're a sub-game like many others.

Only problem is Whack-a-rat not wanting to drop out if you lose... Although that might have been fixed in the most recent release; not sure...

Loom works fine, also the game is not as good with no sound <_<

scottm posted on Dec 13 2003 at 01:40 AM said:
I currently have the non-talkie version of Indiana Jones ATFOA, Monkey Island I & II (on 3.5" disks) - not that I know where to download the speech files mind.
I'm pretty sure there were never any speech packs released for monkey 1 or 2 (3 + 4 are 'talkie' though), and also I can't remember fate of atlantis having speech - unless they released a cdrom version.

Also regarding LOOM, this game is ANCIENT, it was originally released in 16 colours and very basic sound. Once the CDRom drives became common it was given a 256 colour vga overhaul and used redbook (CDDA) audio which is needed to play the tunes in the game - if you can't play these sounds then you can't play the game very easily which means it may have to wait until the next version of scummvm.

Maybe there is a hack or another release I didn't know about, however!

:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back