Gps

What exactly is it, and the magnet thing, I know computers don't like magnets, so why would you put a magnet so close to the SMC reader so the files can get screwed up?

extremegamer posted on Sep 16 2004 at 05:17 PM said:
What exactly is it, and the magnet thing, I know computers don't like magnets, so why would you put a magnet so close to the SMC reader so the files can get screwed up?
smc is nand, it stores electrical not magnetical, so no prob

abc_Keks posted on Sep 16 2004 at 05:47 PM said:
can someone explain again, what i can do with it?
because my english isn't good enaugh to understand it. B)

that would be nice. ;)
gps= lobal positioning system, you can read your current posission from it, you could make navigation systems and stuff with it, or location based games.

Last edited by a moderator:
extremegamer posted on Sep 16 2004 at 05:17 PM said:

The magnet is for the gps receiver, which is external

I don't suppose there's a time/date signal encoded into GPS signals is there? If so this has the capacity to finally allow PDA-like calendar functions... Which would be nice :)

Needless to say I'll be getting one, though not quite yet.

Tobriand posted on Sep 16 2004 at 06:33 PM said:
I don't suppose there's a time/date signal encoded into GPS signals is there?
yaeh i think there is some way to get the atomic clock time of from gps, but i may be wrong.

Would it be possible to Track your GP32 if its Stolen with this??

Like use some sort of PC Software to display where it is???

That might come in handy if its stolen :D

GPS, So does that mean you can take it in the car and view a map of the road you are on??? Is there any software that suports the GPS thing?

Looks good, but a Self installtion kit would be nicer (cos it will be cheaper :p hehe)

Steve-O posted on Sep 16 2004 at 09:27 PM said:
Would it be possible to Track your GP32 if its Stolen with this??

Like use some sort of PC Software to display where it is???

That might come in handy if its stolen :D

GPS, So does that mean you can take it in the car and view a map of the road you are on??? Is there any software that suports the GPS thing?

Looks good, but a Self installtion kit would be nicer (cos it will be cheaper :p hehe)

Sounds a little too open to the possibility of Gizmondo (why oh why did they change the name?) parents-keeping-on-their-childrens'-backs type usage.

However, I doubt it'd work in this case, unless the GPS works outbound as well as in. It is, after all, hard to see if a signal is being received unless there's a reply... which there probably isn't.

Map of the road thing, though, is definitely possible. Simply because kArthur managed it with his GPS on the way to the Spanish meetup last year using the - as yet unreleased - GPS32 part of Windups. Note that this software probably won't work straight out of the box with this GPS mod, since kArthur wasn't using an internal PCB, but a separate GPS plugged into the UART of the GP32...

Guess there are a few questions that need answering amongst that lot.

The GPS is supplied as a kit (look under the products page) we will install them for people that are unable or just don’t want to do it themselves.

There is no outgoing GPS tracking signal to find your GP32! The unit can tell you where it is, but you need to be with the GP32 to do this.

There is a RTC built into the unit and this is supported by the inclusion of a battery backup. (Yes you could write PDA style software using it).

It also uses the UART either 0 or 1, but I guess 1 will be favorite as lots of people have chatboards hung of UART0. wired internally of course.

When I say there is no software that supports it, it’s not strictly true. I wrote a packet decoder for it that can be used as the base of any application.(its not hard to achieve) I have also been playing with some mapping software that uses data from Streetmap it also works (PC based) One of the most active low level programmers has had a prototype unit for 2 weeks and I would expect him to release something cool soon. Full data sheet is available in PDF format now!

I personally think the opportunities this GPS unit gives the GP32 for Games, Mapping, Detection etc are only limited by the imagination of the developers. We recently solved a long standing problem using directional antennas using this GPS and a GP32 and now have a legal RF stereoscopic remote video with graphics overlay where the antenna of the remote vehicle uses this GPS to calculate where to point its antenna.

Toyz 4 Boyz

Will we need this
mini3vant.jpg

Ok, so what do u get with the package, I mean if I pay £59.99+£19.99? Do you get all the stuff shown in this pic
inside.jpg
or just the antenna. explain? :huh:

I don't see why there is a seperate RTC + battery backup, when the GPS provides an encoded time signal every second anyway (well, as long as it can see a satellite that is - or is this way you added it, as the cost was insignificant?).

Back