Gpm Issue Two Out Now!!!

Just finished reading it and good work. A few oppinions

Music reviews - I like Incubus but I think this was a waste of space, ok so we can play mp3 on the GP but if I want a music review I'll read a music mag.

Game reviews - could have done with more, and Mario better than Sonic? tsk tsk what nonsense :p a few more screen shots would be nice too.

Interviews - nice no complaints. Keep up the good work here. Perhaps interviews with Akhuma or squidge in the future?

Gpetc - nice read, perhaps a regular feature on the Gp scene?

Most wanted - Funny :D

All in all a good read :)

Mark posted on May 10 2004 at 10:26 PM said:
Oh sorry yeah. Well Shibuya are the go between company, so I'm not sure if they spoke to VS or not. Either way I would of got the same information. I think it's werid that a GP Developer can offer an exclusive to a fanzine.

Odd.
It wouldn't be the same informations, you could ask about the technical side, how it is to develop the same game on GP32 and GBA, the strongest and weakest points of both machines, etc. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok havn't yet had a chance to read it yet but i did scan over it!

It look s great!!! :D B)

it'll probably be as good as the first one!
great job for a one man project

an incubus review!!!!. great!!!!!
Incubus is AMAZING!!

Great job again Mark!!

oh ya and mark thanks for PMing me the printable version of the first issue.. srry I never got around to thanking you earlier ;)

I just read it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I WILL say: watch your grammar and spelling. If you need an editor, I can be that. Your apostrophes needed work, though; plural acronyms don't get apostrophes (as in, "GPs," NOT "GP's") and neither does almost any plural noun (like, "websites", NOT "website's"). Apostrophes are generally reserved for contractions (don't, wouldn't, etc.) and posessives (Jack's, people's--and with plural posessives, the apostrophe comes after the S if it ends in S, like "GPs'" or "websites'"). Sorry if you know all this & I'm just blowing hot air... :)

Also, the 'zine LOOKS good, but COULD look better. I'm a designer. E-mail me if you're interested in a designer or editor or whatever; I'd be glad to help you out: vinnie_the_fro@yahoo.com.

The MP3 section was good, and an interesting addition to a gaming magazine. But, I was thinking that BECAUSE it's a gaming magazine, the music section should've been a much smaller, more "check out this band" type thing. As in, "these guys should be on your SMC if they're not already." And, perhaps, it could have more than one artist, no? I love Incubus, don't get me wrong. But there's certainly a lot more music out there, a lot more GREAT music, and the GP community's a pretty diverse one. It would be a great avenue to get independant music around through the independant gamers... ;)

But overall, fabulous job. It was well-written and a lot of fun to read, and I love your sense of humor. I can't wait for the next issue. It's very comprehensive and informative, and I look forward to seeing more. Let me know if you need help designing or editing! :)

Note: I just wrote a newspost about that, including all the mirrors from you nice guys (credited, of course :))
If ANYONE wants to have his mirror removed, just drop me an eMail, a PM or ICQ me (can be found on my Profile Page).

B) nice magazine......it was indeed a good read. 3 pages dedicated to incubus? the asian guy at the end is the best magician ive ever seen...........you see him making the gp32 float?

Muh.

I wanted front-paging.

Has this
If you have a news and would like it be also mentioned on the front page - send email to news@_SPAM_SUX_gp32x.de

ALWAYS been there?

Really liked the issue Mark. Simple but effective design and I like your style of writing. Quite funny in places too like the last page and would be games :) The music reviews don't really fit though.

I am not really saying anything different to others on here- the grammar and spelling is suspect in places and at times the reviews are a bit too brief. I like the fact you are putting in interviews and features. Perhaps technical features would be worth doing- like profiles on the emulators themselves, how they work and faqs for those reading new to the scene. A links page as well maybe of key GP32 websites and places to buy accessories etc from?

FINALLY, sorry about the wait mark coz i had to put some money on my solo card and i didnt get paid right, n e way, in 24hours (hopefully) gp-magazine.co.uk will be ready, and if u PM me ure email address i can give u redirection emails too

sorry about the delay

volfro posted on May 11 2004 at 05:15 AM said:
I WILL say: watch your grammar and spelling. If you need an editor, I can be that. Your apostrophes needed work, though; plural acronyms don't get apostrophes (as in, "GPs," NOT "GP's") and neither does almost any plural noun (like, "websites", NOT "website's"). Apostrophes are generally reserved for contractions (don't, wouldn't, etc.) and posessives (Jack's, people's--and with plural posessives, the apostrophe comes after the S if it ends in S, like "GPs'" or "websites'"). Sorry if you know all this & I'm just blowing hot air... :)
)
Actually, with numbers (ex. 1, 2, 3, 100...), letters (ex. A, GP, DE, SW, B...), and words when talking about them being words (ex. "You spelled all the doctor's wrong in your report"), you use an apostrophe to pluralize them.

Not to start a grammer war ;)

And I'm off to add a mirror and frontpage this :)

http://server2.ripplehost.com/~rh3364/issue2.zip
Sorry about the URL, but my URL hasn't go through DNS yet :p I have 7.5GB/month, so it shouldn't run out any time soon :lol:

Those of you who want to read Mark's excellent magazine "on the go" might like to try Omniformat (freeware) - http://www.omniformat.com/
This easily converts a pdf file to single JPG images. I suggest an output size of 640x640 and using the image viewer IV.FXE on your GP32 it is quite legible. You can scroll easily across and down with the joystick. Where the format is two columns you don't even have to scroll across.

RCX, I'm not gonna start no grammar war neither :)

HOWEVER, I will say that according to the APA, apostrophes don't belong in numbers or abbreviations. (You can check it out here if you don't believe me...just hit CTRL+F and search for "apostrophe" on the page and you'll see what I'm talking about.)

On the other hand...

...and words when talking about them being words (ex. "You spelled all the doctor's wrong in your report"), you use an apostrophe to pluralize them.

...I wasn't aware of that. I thought, when referring to a word in that sense, quotation marks were put around it.

But wait! There's more! THIS says that you're right about the apostrophes, with letters, numbers, and abbreviations and words as words. Interesting. I suppose the jury's still out on that one, just like so many other grammar rules in English. This language is so crazy, with its exceptions and contradicting rules and such. It's no wonder non-native English speakers have such a hard time with it. Oh well. That tells me that it's a matter of preference with those particulars.

Waste of a post. Sorry.

Great magazine... only... I think it's a BAD idea to keep your opinions out of game reviews. That's what we read them for, isn't it? Besides, you mentioned in one of your reviews that other people might not like the game, so you presented different viewpoints anyway...

The trouble with the mp3 section is that ANY mp3 sounds good on the gp32, so it doesn't fit in. In the game reviews, you could only choose games that run on the gp32, and then you also described how well they run, so that worked.

Perhaps you could replace the mp3 section with GPCinema movie reviews in the next section... ;) although I still think that as long you're not reviewing games, you should focus more on how well something runs on the GP32 rather than on how much you personally like it... for example, most people already have their opinion about The Matrix, but most don't know how well it runs on the gp32_console .

Oh yes, and good humour. :D

I just posted on slashdot about our two magazines. In case the news get trough it will be good promotion for both of us :) I would also suggest you to update your GPM page with links to the second issuse... just in case :)

Back