GPDooM features

GiG

The mighty penguin cat
Website
www.webalice.it
I have some suggestions for Craigix:

- why don't you add support for compressed WADs? An example: doom.wad is 12.1MBs "fat", while the 7-ZIP version (a free compression utility, better than ACE too, www.7-zip.com) is 3.3MBs only (ZIP is 5.1MB, RAR is 4MB, ACE is 3.8MB).
You should consider this option if you want to add the support for 3rd-p WADs, as a SMC is not an hardisk, and space is limited.

- could you move the /DOOM directory from /GAME to /GPMM? Using PC-Link I can't see what is in any dir that is under /GAME.

Obviously these are only suggestions, not orders :rolleyes:
I hope you will remember them, I think they are essencial features in such a good project.

Yeah its all on my todo list. Having the zip support is a really good idea actually, i'd not thought of that.

There is a version that supports the midi music floating about now too, you can get it on IRC if you miss the doom music.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

While we're on the topic of compression bzip2 is probably the best ... although I have yet to try out 7-Zip. Can such files be extracted by WinZip, or is not backwards-compatible?

Im only gonna say this once more because i dont wanna bug anyone with it. I just wish for ogg support, since takes way less space than mp3s.

If there was ogg support for doom, i wouldnt only use doom to play games i would use it as an ogg player! :p

And zip support is a great idea.

To view thing in the \game directory you have to change pc-link from gp mode to normal mode (or something like that)

Rico posted on Aug 10 2003 said:
While we're on the topic of compression bzip2 is probably the best ...
I have agree with Rico that bzip2 is probably the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
zip or bzip2 is a very good idea, but i still hope he looks at the zdoom sources and insert the zdoom mod support :) there are very cool tc's for doom

7-zip takes a lot of procesor usage. I'm using a 677 mhz pc with 7zip and it takes almost 85-99 % of cpu time to extract a file over 300 mb. Ofcourse the doom wad is much smaller but it wil still take a lot of cpu time.

edit// changed the was > wad

Yes, I know: 7Zip is slow (while compressing). It was just an example, even if I wonder why nobody use it, as it is free and terribly powerful.

Anyway the topic is not 7Zip :rolleyes:

Back