GPD XD

Someone mentioned the Pandora on the last page. Said it had ghosting issues similar to new3ds and made their hands cramp.

I don't agree with the hand cramping, but I gotta say, the ghosting is kinda annoying.

Hopefully pyra doesn't have the same problem

No, I already played Sonic 2 and some VCS2600 on the Pyra as test.
Both show serious ghosting issues on the Pandora (some VCS games are barely playable on the Pandora as you can't see the bullets) and there is no ghosting.

The 3ds cramps my hands after playing with the dpad for a while (as it's on the lower left side), but I never had that issue on the Pandora as well.

But people have different hands I guess.

I never see any ghosting on my Pandora. None of them. I used to get massive ghosting when I'd play DS waiting for the bus in winter, but that's when it gets down around -25c, and it was taking upwards of a quarter second for a pixel to fade completely
I hear people talking about issues of frame rate, ghosting, colour washing, all that stuff, and I generally don't see it, which makes me worried (seriously, not joking) that there is something wrong with my eyes or optical centre. I just... don't see these problems most of the time. I've even played games at frame rates as low as 10fps and they felt smooth as butter to me: not from a "this is acceptable, I'll deal with it", I mean literally I didn't notice any problems.
This is the kind of shit that bothers me now, whether my "ability" to not distinguish low graphic settings is a super power or a disability.

@WizardStan I don't notice ghosting too, except when I want to see it. Same with low FPS if it's constantly low, and not "stuttering" with an irregular pattern. Personally, I just file this into the "too immersed to notice" category (even if the game isn't that good) :D

No, I already played Sonic 2 and some VCS2600 on the Pyra as test.
Both show serious ghosting issues on the Pandora (some VCS games are barely playable on the Pandora as you can't see the bullets) and there is no ghosting.
Now a video of that while we're waiting for videos of 3D stuff would be pretty sweet, pretty please!

Play metroid for the NES. The red/black transitions and slow gameplay make it very obvious. Just move either right or left a bit so where the background also moves then stop then move again. The gaps between each pixel during movement should be fluid and clear, but instead are fluid and fuzzy during movement and clear when you stop. You don't need good eyes to see it.

Last edited:
Now a video of that while we're waiting for videos of 3D stuff would be pretty sweet, pretty please!
Yeah, I tried that a while ago, but my camera at home could only do 25 or 50fps, which doesn't work well with a 60fps screen :)
I need to look for a proper 60fps camera first.

My Sony RX-100 camera shoots at 60fps. You can send me a Pyra if you want, I promise to make videos :D

Reactions: rSl
I never see any ghosting on my Pandora. None of them. I used to get massive ghosting when I'd play DS waiting for the bus in winter, but that's when it gets down around -25c, and it was taking upwards of a quarter second for a pixel to fade completely
I hear people talking about issues of frame rate, ghosting, colour washing, all that stuff, and I generally don't see it, which makes me worried (seriously, not joking) that there is something wrong with my eyes or optical centre. I just... don't see these problems most of the time. I've even played games at frame rates as low as 10fps and they felt smooth as butter to me: not from a "this is acceptable, I'll deal with it", I mean literally I didn't notice any problems.
This is the kind of shit that bothers me now, whether my "ability" to not distinguish low graphic settings is a super power or a disability.

There's a fair amount of variation from unit to unit, but the really big factor is the sort of games you play. It's entirely possible you're just not playing games that have a lot of high contrast content.

... So what about latency then? Are you sensitive to android's notorious input and audio latency?

I don't notice the input latency at all, but audio is just a tiny bit off from the action on the screen from I can tell. Somewhat distracting but I also often play with the sound off or extremely low.

I am quite impressed with my XD, but I've no experience with Android. I am a bit worried about some of the apps that came installed. There is one called "Happy Chick" which states it needs access to my Camera, Microphone, Location, basically everything. It also seems to have files that are not officially licenced as far as I can tell.

Is there a possibility to flash the XD with a clean OS, with just the keyboard mapper software?

What do people think about these built in apps from GPD, am I just paranoid, or do they look dubious to you too?

Back