Gpcinem.........arghhhhhh

sammster001

Website
Visit site
heres my problem

i put any tv show or cartoon (e.g. the simpsons) on to my gp32 and gp cinema will play it fine always. I put a film on and 75% of the time it wont work!! Some films like Die Hard i got to work once but the other 15 times none have worked. Please help.

I had similar problems, after I downgraded the sound to 11050 hz everything that I had tried worked fine :)

Firstly, just what sort of errors are you getting? As in, it crashes, or a black screen with apparrently nothing happening, or desynchronised voice, or even jutteryness in the video?

If crashes, you probably need to use different encoding settings. Try the moviepark tutorial over at www.GP32emu.com, or if you feel up to it (its simple in principle, but it took me a while to get right) the 2-pass tutorial available... no idea where. This also applies if the movie just looks like a blur or something - it may well be a bad encode, and re-encoding from either the DVD or a devent DivX version would be a good idea.

If you're getting a black screen, give it a minute or so. GPCinema is a lot faster at loading shorter things, so the longer the movie, the longer it takes to load. The gamepark won't respond UNTIL the thing has loaded so it may look like a crash - but the difference is with a crash it either resets or gives you Mr. Spiv's bios monitor screen.

De-synched voice is probably another type of encoding error, although as with jutteryness, it could be simply that you need to turn the clockspeed up a bit. I think It's "R" to do that. 133 is good for most things, but if the resolution is the full 320x240 and bitrate is particularly high then you might consider trying above that. If the resolution is 320x176, I've found that even up to 17fps, 120MHz is often fine, although it wouldn't surprise me if your experiences differed to mine.

Hope that's helped a bit. I suspect its the black screen thing, but I wouldn't swear to it; if it hasn't helped, then please give more details about the problems, and I or someone else'll get to it eventually I expect :)

ok here are the specifics. Gp cinema will load my cartoons within five seconds. It loaded predator (100 mins) inside 30 seconds. The times i am saying it wasn't working is when it is taking ten minutes on the start up screen (it seems to just freeze) and it still hasn't loaded.

Yeah, its soundsing like sound might be the problem. This isn't something I've run into as yet, but I do almost all my own encodes, and since I'm often after space not quality, sound can often be cut down; I'd never use anything above 24kbs stereo 22050, and most of the time 20kbs 22050 mono.

Make sure you're not encoding with a VBR MP3 codec, and try and make sure also that the sound is a 11025 multiple as opposed to based on a soundtrack that's orriginally 48000khz without being encoded - always convert to 44200 if 48000 before compressing. Not that I've ever tried 16000khz as a bitrate, but I suspect since its less common, it may not be supported.

Errm... other than that, try pasting us the settings you're using to encode things. Or running DivX Fix or Scanning for errors in VD before starting, since its possible you've just got a bum lot of movies (especially if you haven't watched them all the way through on PC before - although I assume you have).

I encoded Ice Age with my ordinary settings, did encode 3 times and it did not work.

Later I found out that gpdrive corrupted big files, and tried with pclink and it worked.

Do not use gpdrive if you want to put big files on you smc then use pclink.

Dark_TB posted on Feb 23 2004 at 07:29 PM said:
I encoded Ice Age with my ordinary settings, did encode 3 times and it did not work.

Later I found out that gpdrive corrupted big files, and tried with pclink and it worked.

Do not use gpdrive if you want to put big files on you smc then use pclink.
Or an SMC reader... Good suggestion :D

Wonder why it kills big files in its current state....?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back