Gp32 The Best Multimedia Gadget?

When you concider the pretty much perfect NES emulation, the near perfect (soon to BE perfect hopefully soon)Genesis emmulation and the not exactly perfect but passable TG16/PCE emulation not to mention the digital music and video playback the GP32 is a wonderful package. My only problem personally with it over the time I've had it is my computer's sudden failure to recognize it through the USB port (a winXP issue more than a GP issue) and the varying levels of difficulty in encoding dvds can be a bit of a pain (this might also be more of a windows issue or simply an issue of using the right combination of applications).

I must say that mustek device is pretty temping though, compared to the Archos video player which costs 5 times as much... assuming your only interest is in portable videos (the reason I first came to discover the GP32 and why I eventually bought one) I might even concider buying it for video untill I get my UBS situation sorted out... though without a job and the best US price being about 165 bucks I'll probably pass on it for a while... :eek:

Alpha2 posted on Sep 2 2004 at 04:02 AM said:
When you concider the pretty much perfect NES emulation, the near perfect (soon to BE perfect hopefully soon)Genesis emmulation and the not exactly perfect but passable TG16/PCE emulation not to mention the digital music and video playback the GP32 is a wonderful package. My only problem personally with it over the time I've had it is my computer's sudden failure to recognize it through the USB port (a winXP issue more than a GP issue) and the varying levels of difficulty in encoding dvds can be a bit of a pain (this might also be more of a windows issue or simply an issue of using the right combination of applications).

I must say that mustek device is pretty temping though, compared to the Archos video player which costs 5 times as much... assuming your only interest is in portable videos (the reason I first came to discover the GP32 and why I eventually bought one) I might even concider buying it for video untill I get my UBS situation sorted out... though without a job and the best US price being about 165 bucks I'll probably pass on it for a while... :eek:

A PPC isnt gonna cost mush more than a gp32 £120 or so 4 a gp32 compare to £150 for a ppc

It emulates all the old 8bit and 16bits perfectly - including megadrive - but also does Gameboy Advance and Playstation

Its also a far better movie player and they dont look like toys - which was one of my main complaints with a gp32 - `thats a funny looking gba`

Last edited by a moderator:
I will get a PPC when:

They have decent controls for emus, have the new 3D Gfx chip in them, and have 640 x 480 resolution as standard. It will happen eventually. I sold my Zodiac in anticipation for these new PPCs. I hated Palm OS from the day I got it. too simplistic and the directory structure where all apps were piled in one dir without the ability to create links drove me nuts.

My GP32 is just fine for emus/homebrew right now. I know those "super" PPCs are a ways off but I can wait.

timeslip posted on Sep 2 2004 at 10:15 AM said:
A PPC isnt gonna cost mush more than a gp32 £120 or so 4 a gp32 compare to £150 for a ppc

It emulates all the old 8bit and 16bits perfectly - including megadrive - but also does Gameboy Advance and Playstation

Its also a far better movie player and they dont look like toys - which was one of my main complaints with a gp32 - `thats a funny looking gba`

The GP32 IS "a funny looking GBA", there's nothing wrong with that. It's a toy, but a very useful toy. I've never personaly seen the quality of emmulation in a PPC but I think even you said at one point the PPC controls are really only good for RPGs and non-action games. I cant see myself playing any kind os street fighter on a PPC without buying an extra add-on controller.

Before I got the GP, I had a Sony Clie PDA it's video play back was cheap and had no sound and I could only store like 15 seconds or so without dumping all my extra programs, I'd seen the Zodiac advertised on comic books of all places but the 400 dollar price tag soured me to it. PPCs didnt even figure into the mix beecause I already had a PDA and a Laptop and it just seemed like an unnessasary duplication of features for some 200-300 USD (for a decent one) and I was already annoyed with windows based hardware. The GP32 when I found it was a ideal piece of equipment offering notonly video playback but games and this board with it's loads of information and links helped me get into it quickly and without hassle. The video playback initially made me interested but the community is what won me over.

Last edited by a moderator:
things have changed abit since then - ppc videoplayback blows away gp32`s with its higher bitrates and higher storage medium(1gig) u can have far better quality.

I`d rather trying playing with my ass than play streetfighter on ppc but I`m more than happy playing all the fantastic rpg,fps,rts using the stylus which for those games is a damn site better than a joystick

Depends what games u like i guess

:p i have had a gp32 and a pda but if i were you i wouldn't buy a gp32 (several board members pick up flaming torches and large pointy sticks)

This is because i feel the gp32 kinda lets you down due to the fact of all the hype around it i mean come one who remebers the days leading up to the gp32 release all those dodgy translations on altavista pictures of a mobile phone connectivity along with wireless that we assumed but were not corrected was internal.

Give the scene at least a year then come back to it by that time alot of things will be optimized the main things imho is gplinux and snes emulation not forgettin gpquake.

At the moment the pda scene is much more developed and if you are a normal consumer i recoomend it. The psx emulation is just :ph34r: :eek: :D :p if you know what i mean also there are control solutions like gampads and stuff if i rember correctly.....i better run know before the mob catches up with me BYE(runs away and is chased after by said gp32 mob)

*stumbles cries out then runs off*

Buy a pda trust me :ph34r: craopppp their catching up :ph34r:

come back in a year :lol:

Obviously everyone has their own favorite device, but there's nothing better than the device YOU personally feel fits your needs. I suggest looking around the forum and researching the qualities and failings of each possible device you can buy, they all have them it's just a matter of finding out what they are and deciding which devices failings are less important to you. This forum and many other specilty forums for PPC, Zodiac and also the buyer reviews of each of these items and others are full of information, they're full of opinons too but a consumer has to learn to filter out the ramblings of knowledgless tech hacks and hardcore fanboi's blind to failings and look for the common ground that each side can agree on.

That's how to decide which to get.

Back