Gp32 Screen - Dead!!?

Ghozer

Still Fresh
Hey, I recently ordered a replacement screen protector (a Glass one) and since installing it, the screen no-longer displays an image..

the dismantle was flawless,
the repair was perfect... (What i mean is i diddnt have to pull any cables too hard, or pry anything up with a screwdriver etc..., it was just smoothly done)

It was a modded FLU - however when putting in the glass screen, i had to remove the FLU capability (as the flu is the front screen in the first place) which i dont mind having a None Lit Unit -- so long as its a working unit..

to sum it up, i took it to bits, put in the new screen cover, put it together, now theres nothing on screen.. the Unit works because i hear sound, and pc link works etc...

I bet upon reassembly you did not reinsert the lcd ribbon cable deep enough into its connector. You understand how the simple latching mechanism on the connector works, right? You'll never be able to fully seat the ribbon's contacts unless the connector is unlatched first. Relatch the connecter after the ribbon is properly inserted.

Anyway, there was a much easier way to replace the plastic screen. All you had to do was pop out the gray plastic frame with a thin plastic card. The original screen can then be easily removed and swapped with the glass one. Would have taken only a few minutes.

I couldnt do it the simple way becuase it was FLU, so i had to remove the connections for that, and the light aread (because its an all-in 1 unit with the glass... the FLU)

and yes, the ribon is in as-deep as it can go.... and yes the latch.. lift up to release/insert, and push down to lock...

-- Ghozer

Exactly - changing the protector doesn't need touching the LCD.

What other stuff of the LCD did you touch?
An LCD consists of various filters, if you put them back in the wrong order, you can't see anything (because there are polarisations filters)

When i removed the front screen, (the plastic protector) it was like 1 unit... the FLU unit, and the pastic screen, they were sort of, Stuck together (i can take a photo if you wish and post it, i dont mind)

So, i had to remove the FPU stuff to beable to get the new protector in place, im working on un-sticking the flu but from the old protector, and cleaning it, then i will be putting it back... but thats besides the point... the problem is ntohing to do with the FL Unit, Its somthing to do with the actual screen, or the connection to the board....

If you want pictures, ill take them

and tbh, its a TFT - not an LCD (have you ever actually opened up a GP32 EvilDragon???

there are no filters, and i know about LCD screens, its TFT - which works totally different...

Ghozer

Everyone knows that LCD is just a common word used to represent flat screen.

and tbh, its a TFT - not an LCD (have you ever actually opened up a GP32 EvilDragon???

I'm sure I opened up more GP32s than you have :)
I even exchanged an LCD once (or TFT, if you like)

BTW: TFT is just an abbrevation of TFT LCD, as TFT just means Thin Film Transistor.

there are no filters, and i know about LCD screens, its TFT - which works totally different...

The TFT still have the filters.

You can find out more about it here.

Usually, you can't remove those filters from the screen without dismantling it (unlike the old Game and Watch games), but I've never seen any GP which has the screen attached to the protector - so I have no idea what you actually did.

So, yes, pictures would help :)

Last edited:
I know TFT has filters, but its not thin, seperate filters like old LCD screens, its all built into the TFT unit..... ill take some pics... --- and here they are...

This is the TFT in its current state, OUT of the GP32, but still connected....

front-1.jpg

This is the TFT connector, connected to the board...

side-1.jpg

This is the Front of the GP32, with the FLU cables, and the protector still in place..

prot-light-2.jpg

This is the same, but from the back....

prot-light-1.jpg

This is the Front, with the Front Light and protector Removed...

front-dis-1.jpg

This is the Protector AND Front light screen thing, STUCK TOGETHER. from the side...

flu-1.jpg

This is the same unit, from the top edge, (you can see theyer stuck.. THIS is what i was saying..)

flu-2.jpg

(Ok, Why are the images not working for me???)

ahh, calm down guys. that isn't the point, is it?

but my question is: it didn't bother you to lose your FLU just for a glass screen?
It was a modded FLU - however when putting in the glass screen, i had to remove the FLU capability (as the flu is the front screen in the first place) which i dont mind having a None Lit Unit -- so long as its a working unit..

i mean, thats a really bad deal. if i had a NLU with a glass screen, i would swap it for a FLU without a glass screen and not the other way around.

the screen protector was too badly scratched, so i HAD to do somthing, my plan was to un-stick the FLU mod from the original poastic protector (see images above) and clean it up, and replace it, so i still had an FLU - Unit.... Im not going to bother now since its not working...

come to think of it, somone else on this board had a similar problem after changing the screen protector... just cant find the link..... they gave up and ended up selling it for "spares" or somthing...

I managed viewing the pictures using the direct links...

Now I understand. I thought you meant the TFT LCD was stuck to the Protection screen - but you meant the FLU.

Everything looks good according to the pictures.
But as you don't see ANYTHING, the LCD isn't powered.
If it was just some bad connections, it would show strange stuff...

Check...

- that the cable is properly connected - try moving it a bit left / right.
Sometimes the connectors don't fit the cable exactly - though one mm
too far left or right will cause this problem.
You can try this while the unit is powered up and close the connector latch
as soon as it is working

- that the cable doesn't have any cuts (but I assume you already did that).

yeah, it was the FLU and protector i was talking about, not the screen its self.. :/
that part isnt really any of the issue tho, the issue is.. the screen isnt displaying..

any who...

checked the cable and socket using a continuity tester, form the board (the base of the connector) to the edge of the screen (just before the epoxy/protective glue on the side of the screen) and everything is fine, so i know things are connected correctly, and to the correct pins..

when i power up the unit, there is actually a thin black line on the left of the screen (so it has power) and when i power it down, it clears it (so i know it wipes it and takes away the power)

I have tried moving it slightly, but there is no give, its as-tight as it can be left and right, and into the socket its self... im totally out of ideas, other than trying to hard wire it straight to the board, by-passing the connector.. but this is alot of fine, and frustrating work...

we'll see....

I had the thin black line problem when i fried my last GP. The voltage switch had got moved on the mains adapter to 9 or 12v i think. It might be a problem with your GP rather than your screen. Don't know if this helps. :(

right, after a week and no reply, im buying a fine, tipped soldiering iron, and hard wiring the screen to the board, cause im sure its somthing to do with the connection via the socket -- ill let you all know how it goes, and hopefully get some images up.

Ghozer posted on Jul 4 2005 at 04:38 AM said:
right, after a week and no reply, im buying a fine, tipped soldiering iron, and hard wiring the screen to the board, cause im sure its somthing to do with the connection via the socket -- ill let you all know how it goes, and hopefully get some images up.

Holy cow! That's A WHOLE LOT of work! Good luck!

Last edited:
Back