Gp32 Modulation.

Sadako

Website
Visit site
I heard a rumour that someone was trying to mod their GP32 like this..

~ Modding the RAM to make it higher, adding a lens into where the plastic screen protector should be to make the screen appear bigger, adding a battery inside the case to make the battery life extremly longer, and modding the card reader to read 512mb cards.

I just want to know, is this true? If it is, I want to do it!

the RAM mod allows you to have more RAM but you wont OC more
adding battery pack seems strange to me...just buy NiMH 2300...
the card reader cant be modded and even if that was possible just keep in mind that there are no SMC bigger than 128M

see you :lol:

Maybe I meant modifying the reader so it could read other cards too?
Maybe even credit cards...Gp32 could be a bank!
Maybe I should stop saying maybe, but maybe, just maybe the lens screen is true,
maybe it could make the screen look bigger, but, I don't think it would look nice, maybe an attachment to the screen could be invented? Why is no one adding more
'maybe' ideas?!

Certainly the first two are possible... the battery might be, but bearing in mind the connectors are actually on the mobo (i.e. no space behind them) that could be awkward - the battery would have to fit in the side or something, which might be tough to replace, let alone the possibility that the ram chip will have changed, and may take up more space (especially if you're doing the 64mb mod as opposed to the 32mb one).

The last is technically possible, but would require at the very least a new bios, and probably (I think) new versions of any program that needed to access the SMC after loading. Which is pretty much all of them. The problem is that SMCs of different size each have a completely different table of how their space is set up - so when someone uses an SMC command in the SDK, those tables are compiled in and work - for 8mb SMCs up til 128mb ones, since those are the tables that exist. But for 512 cards, the tables don't exist so it just gets confused - and that's assuming you're using an SMC adapter for an xD card (which exists for xD cards up til 128mb, but above that breaks). If you're adding in a completely different type of card, though, say compact flash, then you'll have even more problems (completely different way of storing data which no programs will understand). So that mod, whilst theoretically possible, is lunlikely ever to yield good results. You'd probably just break your GP32, even if the mod was a success.

www.cobbleware.com is the website for the bravest of the brave soldering iron wielders. Incidentally, I believe someone made an adapter so you could hook up the chunky D cell type batteries, making them last longer, but obviously making your GP take up about the same space as an XBox contoller (and then some). Not good for putting it in a GBA pouch (though the batteries weren't physically attached to the back, iirc).

Tha battery already HAS been modified:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=11943

RAM mod also works, the next multifirmware from Mr. Spiv makes the RAM (32MB or 64MB) usable.

Screen... may work, but I don't think it'll look nice.

Modding the card reader to read other cards is nearly impossible.
You'd have to exchange the bios, need different driver chips in the unit itself... no one ever tried on that.

Last edited:
washo posted on Jul 19 2004 at 07:50 PM said:
that there are no SMC bigger than 128M
Yes there are. But they run at 5v instead of 3.3v which the GP32 doesnt support

Last edited by a moderator:
wolly_wotsit posted on Jul 20 2004 at 06:23 PM said:
R U a female sadako?
What does that have to do with anything?! She is though yes she's said in another thread before.

And I was wondering about a card mod. Surely you could mod the case to replace the smc slot with an smc to xd convertor, so basically have a permanently fitted smc to xd converter. A bit pointless but maybe interested and a little sleeker than having an xd converter sticking out all the time.

chris_r posted on Jul 20 2004 at 05:46 AM said:
washo posted on Jul 19 2004 at 07:50 PM said:
that there are no SMC bigger than 128M
Yes there are. But they run at 5v instead of 3.3v which the GP32 doesnt support
i've never seen any

if there are maybe if you mod how much voltage goes to the card reader this mod would be much easier
and if they go up to 1 gig i would die i would be so happy

spongebue posted on Jul 20 2004 at 09:45 PM said:
not sure how exactly this could be used, but 3M makes this film called Vikuiti. It is supposed to make the screen a bit brighter and things like that. Dunno if it would work with nonlits, since it doesn't have light to begin with.

http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-136/izezrFG/view.jhtml

Mut doesn't mods stand for modifications, not modulations?
i dont think its publically available

Just because I am female does not mean I am going to change my underwear. I actually have a boyfreind, and we are solid. Anyway..I can't stand SMC recently, it is too large, what are those cards in mobile phones called?

How is a SMC too big? Its not like you need to carry them around on your back. Unless you are the size of a fairy, SMCs being too big should not be a problem. Oh, and I just finished reading this thread, he definately wasn't talking to you!

Back