Gp32 Help - Problem - Please...

carapalida

Still Fresh
wondring if anybody could give me a hand here...please?

... i have spent two days trying to set it up and it doesn't work for some reason...i installed the soft that came with it, the driver got installed find and it shows on my device manager. i restated the pc...i did all this with my norton/firewall/spysweeper/and everything else that usually runs in the background turned OFF. i always install things and uninstall things like this...so no problems occur. i am using winxp with service pack 2 installed...all my updates are up to date...i went to the win xp site to make sure that maybe they did not have a patch for the gamepark or something...

anyhow...once i run the gp32 manager, i turn on the gp32 and go to pc link. the manager keeps giving me the screen "to plug in usb cable and start gp32 and go to pc link button" (that screen that usually shows up...). i have also tried the oposite, i have tried running the gp32 first, going into the pc link button and then starting the gp32 manager but it does the same thing.

not sure what to do...i have reserached the board but i can't find anything on this...only things i can think of it right now...1 maybe the firmware is not the right one, or maybe a patch that i need to run in xp...or maybe...would the language packs have to do anything with this? i also had the gp23 manager get stuck on non responding and restarts my cpu by itself :(

i also have tried the driver and also the gp 32 manager from their site...it does the same thing...i will try on a different cpu...but unfortunatelly that one also runs win xp...but doesn't have pack 2 installed.

have you heard of anything like this? please let me know...

thank you again...carapalida.

I thik it has to do with the order of how you plug things in/power them up
not sure tho

~Octavious

I had similar problems, but after a driver install, I cant remember what else I did...

Get a card reader it makes things so much easier. Don't get one of those 6 in one card readers either I have had nothing but trouble with them, just get a reader that does SMC only. They are around $10-$20.00

I *never* use PC-Link so I can't help there.

Also DO NOT flash your firmware you can RUIN the GP32 doing that.

You don't need to format an SMC either they all come pre formatted.

When you get the card reader just pop it in and create the directory GPMM. Then under GPMM you will create a directory called GENESIS for your ROMs. Put all .FXE in GPMM (like DrMD.fxe) and all ROMS in their directories (the readme for the emus will tell you what directory names to make) in GPMM.

Once you get to know the directory structure and get a card reader, putting apps onto the card is childs play, probably one of the easiest to learn of any handheld device.

It is daunting at first but just set up one emu at a time and before you know it you will be a pro at it.

i have win xp, all i did was download the driver from Gamepark, plug it in to a usb port and turn on the GP32, when windows finds it do a manual install. That worked for me.

You do have to format the card, in pc link click on format SMC so it sets up all the directories and everything you need. If you don't format the card you will need to make all the directories yourself, for example, if you want to run a FENIX game then you will need to create the SYSsomething folder. Formatting under PC link is very easy and it won't ruin your card.

There is nothing wrong with 6 in one card readers, i have one, and depending on where you live, you can get a brand new one on ebay for less than $10. I paid $8 for mine brand new in box and it works fine.

spray posted on Feb 2 2005 at 01:29 PM said:
there is also nothing wrong with flashing your gp32.

its a bit like saying don't go in a car, it might crash. just follow instructions properly and you'll be fine.

Well I have seen here DOZENS of times where someone has said that they screwed up their GP32 by flashing, so it is an un-needed risk on BLUs.

Last edited by a moderator:
KickinWing posted on Feb 2 2005 at 01:01 PM said:
i have win xp, all i did was download the driver from Gamepark, plug it in to a usb port and turn on the GP32, when windows finds it do a manual install. That worked for me.

You do have to format the card, in pc link click on format SMC so it sets up all the directories and everything you need. If you don't format the card you will need to make all the directories yourself, for example, if you want to run a FENIX game then you will need to create the SYSsomething folder. Formatting under PC link is very easy and it won't ruin your card.

There is nothing wrong with 6 in one card readers, i have one, and depending on where you live, you can get a brand new one on ebay for less than $10. I paid $8 for mine brand new in box and it works fine.

It is easier to just make a blank SMC image with all of the directory structure set up on a PC folder and then just copy that to a card. Messing with PC-Link can be a pain if you have a finicky computer.

I had a 2 in 1 and a 6 in 1 card reader and both of them were glitchy and worked only sometimes or not at all. Maybe it depends on the model but I have had bad luck with them.

I think I usually (using Pacrom) go into link mode on my GP32, then plug in the USB cable, then run GP Manager on my PC. Otherwise it doesn't see that I've plugged the USB in... or something...

Try that order and see what happens.

J(ohn)

DaveC posted on Feb 2 2005 at 10:03 AM said:
KickinWing posted on Feb 2 2005 at 01:01 PM said:
i have win xp,  all i did was download the driver from Gamepark, plug it in to a usb port and turn on the GP32, when windows finds it do a manual install.  That worked for me.

You do have to format the card, in pc link click on format SMC so it sets up all the directories and everything you need.  If you don't format the card you will need to make all the directories yourself, for example, if you want to run a FENIX game then you will need to create the SYSsomething folder.  Formatting under PC link is very easy and it won't ruin your card.

There is nothing wrong with 6 in one card readers,  i have one, and depending on where you live, you can get a brand new one on ebay for less than $10.  I paid $8 for mine brand new in box and it works fine.

It is easier to just make a blank SMC image with all of the directory structure set up on a PC folder and then just copy that to a card. Messing with PC-Link can be a pain if you have a finicky computer.

I had a 2 in 1 and a 6 in 1 card reader and both of them were glitchy and worked only sometimes or not at all. Maybe it depends on the model but I have had bad luck with them.

Then whomever is having the problem their computer must be EXTREMELY finicky if you think setting up the smc on the pc and transferring it is easier than clicking a couple of times in pc link. Personally i don't use pc link i have a card reader but before i had my card reader i had absolutely 0 problems with pc link using winxp.

Just got my GP32 yesterday and was having the same problem, what I did was go to control panel then system then hardware which showed a USB device with a question mark at the side, go to this and choose to reinstall the driver,choose to install the driver from a specified location, then browse to your GPManager folder and choose the Win98 folder then just keep on pressing next until it installs, it should then work

I thik it has to do with the order of how you plug things in/power them up
not sure tho
hes's right.. I had this problem too. make sure you plug in everything AFTER you open up GPManager/PC-LINK

never had this problem, once it was installed, when i turned the GP32 on, it made a blipping sound to know it was connected to my PC, my pc always found it regardless if PC Link was open or not. I guess i was just lucky, also my GP32 is 2 years old, don't know if that has something to do with it or not, maybe i have an old driver that worked.

thank you all for your input.
i had no luck using the gp32 manager...i was lucky reformating the card through the gp32 unit...then i was able to save some games there.

with the gp32 manager i tried...different orders of turning the unit first and the program (and vice versa), i tried 2 different usb ports, i tried 2 different win xp machines (1 is all up to date in terms of updates including sp2, and the other one doesn't have sp2), on both pcs i turned off all programs that usually run in the background, everything.

i tried reinstalling the cd again, i downloaded the drivers and the manager software from their site...the devices shows in device manager working properly. i tried rolling back the drivers and also just updating drivers.

i do not know whatelse to try...a screen came up saying that i needed to install some sort of language packs for my win xp...so i did that...restarted pc...and i am using winrar to unzip the files.

not sure...i mean...it works doing directly...but it BUGS the HELLO out of me what might be causing for the program to crash?!

thank you all...(thank you davec for infos...)

carapalida

hummm...the only other thing that it might be happening can be either...the usb cable is no good...or the usb port of the unit is now bad...

if in case i decide to get another usb cable just for the heck of it...where can i find these cables? would a computer store have them? i noticed some of my other equip have these tiny usb cables (one end)...but they still dont' fit...

thank you all again...

carapalida

Back