Gp2x-write: A Text Editor For Gp2x V1.0.2

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2xwrite-snap-v101.jpg

Hi All,

Here a new version of gp2x-write the text editor for GP2X.

For those who haven't seen previous release, it permits to edit even huge text file,
in both dos and unix mode, using iso8859-1 (8bits) characters encoding.
All iso8859-1 characters are present in the "Danzeff like" virtual keyboard.

What's new then ?

- Two cursor modes :
. the cursor move only on already written text (useful to edit existing text file)
. the cursor can move everywhere (useful to display existing text file)

You can download it on my blog : http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

Enjoy,

Zx.

Thanks! Works great, you can type pretty fast with it.
Of course an application like this will be more convenient on a F200.
Any plans on buying one? :)

Edit: BTW happy birthday ;)

Dou you plan to add USB keyboard support or is it already implemented?

This sounds interesting. Do somebody have a nice screenshot to tempt me with? :)

I downloaded it, and i was amazed by the speed in which you can type and the fact that the same characters always were produced by the same joy/button stroke combination (that is very important, because helps you to memorize easily the strokes and don't think on them consciously). Basically, there are 9 buttons, each one with 4 characters on it. You move the stick to any direction or let it in the center position, and then press a button, and then you get the corresponding character.

Constructive criticism:
- Maybe the onscreen keyboard could be a little smaller so you can view a screen saturated of text while editing it more comfortably
- For onboard programmers, there are some missing characters in the keyboard: by example, I cannot write the C Hello World yet with write.

But what amazes me is that typing seems to be even faster than with EdgeWrite that i thought was the easiest and fastest way to write on a gp2x until now.

Any change of using a 4x10 font (so you can edit in 80x24 and reserve bottom for onscreen keyboard)?

Congrats, both for your past birthday and for this one that IMHO is up to date, the most usable text editor for the GP2X.

many thanks for your comment :)

xhyldazhk said:
Constructive criticism:
- Maybe the onscreen keyboard could be a little smaller so you can view a screen saturated of text while editing it more comfortably
Perfectly right, this keyboard is the one a use on psp (where the screen is bigger) ... i have to reduce it a bit for the gp2x version.

xhyldazhk said:
- For onboard programmers, there are some missing characters in the keyboard: by example, I cannot write the C Hello World yet with write.
It's not written in the readme, but using l-trigger, and r-trigger you can toggle between different virtual keyboard with all the keys you need ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres another programme on the 2x for writing? Edgewrite?

Interesting. I should really use these. I tend to load programmes onto my 2X in bunches so I'll have to get this on the next one! :) Well done.

Back