Gp2x Wich Version Is The Best

So generaly wich version would you prefer ?? I would shurly prefer the wiz but that small screen :( :( .. The acumlator ( dont now how to wright it ) insted of AA bateries :( :( .. If your using it as a portable consol ( wich is it's desteny ) it is beter to have it on AA bateries becous of that you can change them when you need on cheap AA bateries the only bad thing was that the AA bateries were fat .. It also has a nice docing station ( the old ( f100 - f200 ) gp2x ) ..

Why didnt they put wifi on the wiz ??

What do you think of a wifi card wich would be plugable to the USB port ,, the only problem is to make drivers to run it ( normaly developers ( of the wifi card ) do it but they do it for the PC ) .. Maybe wright a reques for some firm wich is making the cards xP xP (the problem is that there are about 50000 ( info from wiki ) gp2x so if it would be compatible for all version any way even if 1 on 2 gp2x owners would buy it ,, it would be about 25000 so not to much .. But maybe it is enought :) :) ..

more math : 10 $ ( let's say it could be the price of drivers ) * 25000 = 250.000 $
250.000 $ - cost of driver creation

The oly problem is htat we dont know how much people would like it :) :) ..

Wifi chip use too mutch battery power then the usage of the Wiz would be too less to be playable

:( :( I dont find it good that the wiz is so small It could be bigger but thiner :( :(

Wifi is in many phones and other consoles why not in wiz ?? Even if the batery life would be shorter when it would be on

Wich console would You prefere ??

Orange Pumpkin said:
I don't know if many people here have both and F100 and F200. I got an F200 around October of last year. Though the four button d-pad got a lot of flak here last year, the controls actually work very well for me.

I'm a bit biased. The game I wrote ("Factor: A Game of Primes") uses the F200 Up/Down/Left/Right/A/B/X/Y/L/R as a ten button layout rather than as a joystick+6 buttons. The F200 feels natural (for me) either way, as a d-pad simulator or as four buttons. I grew up playing keyboard and large joystick games and never used a d-pad.

I'll get flamed for this, but if you're looking to play games that have the joystick move around in a circle a lot (a few fighting games) or REALLY like the colour black, go with an F100. Otherwise, the F200 is great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange Pumpkin said:
Wifi is in many phones and other consoles why not in wiz ?? Even if the batery life would be shorter when it would be on

GPH have hinted that the Wiz may have some kind of wireless connectively via an addon device some time in the future after the Wiz itself has been released. This may include just Bluetooth, Wifi, both or even there own standard which can only talk to other Wiz's. We don't know yet.

mrsnature said:
:huh:

Bring on the trumpets!
Bring on the trumpets!

Nova said:
mrsnature said:
:huh:

Bring on the trumpets!
Bring on the trumpets!

But I didnt say anthing that time!

[on topic]

Some form of wireless conectivity not being in the device is just a mistake these days, and sure, GPH have said that in the future, there may be some addon available, but look how long it took for the GP2X cradle to come out. (2 years after the release of the GP2x F100, iirc)

I don't see how not having wireless connectivity is a problem. The small form factor shows that it's going for something like the Game Boy Micro. Something you can easily slip in your pocket and play anywhere. WiFi would be for a device that you sit down and play, but don't want to be terribly heavy - like the PSP.

What would you use WiFi for on a Wiz anyway?

Trevor Bradley said:
Orange Pumpkin said:
I don't know if many people here have both and F100 and F200.

I have an F100 and F200 and both have pros and cons. I tend to use my F200 more though, due to the added benefit of the touchscreen.

Wifi is the best way to connect to internet ( hot spot ) .. I would like gp2x in old versions with new core .. And psp is nice I would buy it but the linux in gp2x and I would like to program it a bit .. The last pro of f100-f200 is that there is the SDIO port .. The first 2 versions had really nice design the wiz is nice too but too small for me the 2,8' screen is really too small

Thanks

The PSP is also running a closed-source form of Linux (or at least, it's Linux-alike) and it's pretty easy to dev for it, as soon as custom firmware has been installed. At the moment, it's possible to install custom firmware on all PSP-100x models (the old "fat" one), nearly all PSP-200x models (Slim&Lite, but the latest ones give problems) and no PSP-300x models (Brite, looks like Slim&Lite but has a mic built-in and the new bright screen is definitely worse).

If you seriously consider programming for a console, you should take the Wiz.

The GP2X seems to be abandoned by GPH in favor of the Wiz. Although the community is friendly and active, not much units have been sold compared to the "big ones" PSP and NDS.

The PSP seems to be slowly dying, not much games have been released in the past year and most of them aren't worth a look. The negative publicity on the new PSP-300x with the PSP-200x being discontinued will surely have an impact on hardware sales.

It's possible to dev for the NDS, but most users are kids who only want to play games and aren't interested in homebrew. The screen quality and resolution aren't helpful either.

So seriously consider the Wiz, although the Pandora might be a nice alternative too!

I don't really like Pandora it looks strange .. ( PSP ) Don't want to have illegal soft :( :( .. If I buy PSP ( one of the alternative of the GP2X , Neo Freerunner is the second ) I would play orginal official games :( :( .. And I would buy the 3000 version

I really don't see the point of wifi on the Wiz, it's a tiny handheld which is perfect for gaming on the move. The resolution of the screen is not high enough for browsing and it's unlikely you're going to be connecting to other gamers on the bus for a 2 player game.

Take it as it is, an excellent small form factor gaming device. It's what it was designed for so please don't go on about why it doesn't have features you would like. The hardware is complete and if it's not for you, don't moan about it.

I think it's really kewl, not only does it boot faster than the GP2X, but it's more powerful and has a fantastic screen, for those who liked the GP2X, you will not be disappointed as the Wiz is literally the GP2X's offspring, and GPH have done themselves proud. The controls are very comfortable to use regardless of the odd nay sayers going on about "Why doesn't it have round buttons?".

I personally like the Wiz a lot, and even though I have pre-ordered a Pandora, I reckon the Wiz is going to get more play time from me due to the fact of it's size and how light it is.

Thank you for listening,
Clare.

I too am really looking forward to receiving my Wiz.

The screen looks fantastically bright and vibrant, I'm sure it'll be brilliant, I'm especially looking forward to playing 8-bit stuff on it.

I don't see the screen size as a problem -- probably because I haven't masturbated myself blind like the people who keep whinging about the screen size. :)

Don't get a GP2X (F100 or F200) now, because all the fun and games are about to start with the Pandora and Wiz, and you want to be part of that. Everything here has already stopped while people wait for the new consoles, it'll just get worse. Of course, if you can find one cheap on ebay, get one if you must, its still a good machine.

Why does the Pandora look strange??? Wait until people start getting them and I bet you change your mind and will want one!!

Orange Pumpkin said:
( PSP ) Don't want to have illegal soft :( :( .. If I buy PSP ( one of the alternative of the GP2X , Neo Freerunner is the second ) I would play orginal official games :( :( ..

Custom firmware on the PSP is completely legal. Although it allows to play illegally copied games on the PSP, it's first and main purpose is to open it up for homebrew.
And I would buy the 3000 version

No you won't, once you've seen the difference in screen during gameplay. What Sony does to promote the PSP-3000 is show static screens or screens from games without fast action. They also make the PSP-3000 display standard backgrounds that are different from the PSP-1000 and PSP-2000 in that they have been edited to look better :( And most of all, atm. it isn't possible to install custom firmware on the PSP-3000, effectively locking it for homebrew. Personally, I own a PSP-1000 and PSP-2000 and I like the PSP-1000 most. I don't have any urge to go to the shop and buy a PSP-3000 and probably never will. It would be better for Sony if they released a really improved PSP2 soon!

If I had the money to spare for a PSP-3000 (which I don't have atm), I would for sure spend it on a Wiz or save some more for a Pandora!

(So far for my off-topic rant B) )

carlgeorge said:
I don't see the screen size as a problem -- probably because I haven't masturbated myself blind like the people who keep whinging about the screen size. :)

LOL I'm repairing micro-electronics (repair PSP, NDS and thelike on motherboard component level) and it's not because I never... well better drop the subject...

Back