Gp2x Review On Cdrinfo.com

Decent review, although after seeing Sonic 2 on my brother's PSP, I would hardly call the PSP screen "excellent".

Blah posted on Dec 23 2006 at 11:54 PM said:
Decent review, although after seeing Sonic 2 on my brother's PSP, I would hardly call the screen "excellent".
Did he actually move sonic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, is it true that psp have 50-60 fps in MAME?
What's the performance of the psp against the gp2x at emulation? Performance wise

It's quite mixed, however I'd expect them both to even out to full speed in most emus eventually.

What I hate about the PSP is that awful ghosted screen, it's like going back to an old gamegear or something. Weird choice of lcd sony.

craigix posted on Dec 23 2006 at 10:58 PM said:
It's quite mixed, however I'd expect them both to even out to full speed in most emus eventually.

What I hate about the PSP is that awful ghosted screen, it's like going back to an old gamegear or something. Weird choice of lcd sony.
Sony probably just thought "ahh... they won't notice, they're stupid, they'll just get all ADD and be like 'ZOMG HUGE SCREEN ME LOVEZORZ!'"

DemonStar55 posted on Dec 23 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
Sony probably just thought "ahh... they won't notice, they're stupid, they'll just get all ADD and be like 'ZOMG HUGE SCREEN ME LOVEZORZ!'"

Well I guess they had to go cheap on something. They made the wrong choice ;)

craigix posted on Dec 24 2006 at 03:58 AM said:

Also weird choice of resolution 480 x 272 WTF is that?!? :ph34r:

Sonic looking all stretched, scaled, and blurry even before it moves at that rez, bah.

i dont think the psp/gp2x comparison was really fair. especially this part

Battery performance
gp2x: 1~2hours with 2xAA alkaline batteries

psp: ~4.30 hours with included battery

The PSP is able to run homebrew applications and of course emulators at full speed, while the GP2X is much less powerful.

omgwtfbbq

Bah, every single review I've read/seen comments that the '2x is best for people who want to write their own programs etc to use on it, and doesn't recommend buying it for emulation. I also find it weird that they declare the screen inferior to the PSP's....people are weird.

From what I've heard, Sony are doing there best to lock down the PSP with each new firmware upgrade, thus actively working against the homebrew scene, whereas GPH quite obviously encourage it.

mrben posted on Dec 24 2006 at 03:12 PM said:
thus actively working against the homebrew scene
No, what they are working against is the piracy, and since the two work in exactly the same way, homebrew suffers too.

I wanted to say a hello to all forum members. I am the person who wrote cdrinfo.com review so i thought to come and express my point of view for your comments. First of all thanks for your nice words. I/We tried to present a honest and from users side point of view review. I tried to read many threads and topics before writing the review to have a better overview about what exactly GP2X does.

I think most of the critic comes down to the comparison with PSP. This is something that GamePark Holdings people also do. Since the price gap is around 20 euro (in favor of GP2X), i think its fair for users to understand why/or not buy GP2X/PSP. About the screen of PSP i found it very good and without any blurriness. That happened with PSP commercial games. Maybe with emulation there is that blurry effect you mentioned...

Anyway i am expecting your comments, this is a great board ;)

Its good to see the GP2X is getting more media coverage :) . I wish they would have added in the review that there are programs that play things like wma. They may not be fully developed but its nice to see the capabilities of the GP2X <_< .

Sounds like this review, especially the psp comparison, may have been made up from reading forum posts and not actually trying anything.

Back