Gp2x Problem...

netarchitect

Still Fresh
A few weeks ago, I bought a gp2x and love it but recently I've run into a major problem with the unit. While I was playing an emulator, the screen started doing weird things like constantly changing the contrast and making it hard to do anything. Naturally, I restarted the unit but the problem still remained. Even the boot screen is messed up with multi-colored lines and an extremely bright contrast making it hard to see anything. I tried adjusting the LCD under the settings menu but it didn't help much and I had to put the brightness to the lowest level in order to see anything. The main problem is that the screen has a bunch of vertical white lines that I cant get rid of and make the picture quality poor.

Ive heard rumors that this type of screen problem is due to dead or near dead batteries, but the problem remained even after recharging and then trying a new set of batteries. I don't know if this is a firmware problem but I am running firmware 2.0 and the unit is pretty much brand new. If anyone knows what the cause or solution to this problem is please help so I can once again enjoy my gp2x!

Thanks in advance

sounds bad.
Did you use a ac adapter? if so it could be that it was unregulated/wrong voltage which could have harmed the power regulator.

Try reflashing/upgrading the firmware (make extremely certain it's not your batteries before doing this! And they must be fully charged, because if they die during the flash you're screwed).

Does sound like a more serious hardware fault, though.

I did not use an AC adapter so I don't think that is the problem. But its definitely not the batteries so I think it could be a hardware problem. Something with the LCD. Honestly, its not terrible except for the vertical white lines and the screen is way to bright. I guess I will try reinstalling the firmware. What is the best guide for doing that?

OK Update:

I just updated the firmware from 2.0 to 2.1. Didnt seem to do much. I have a feeling that the LCD is just bad and Ill probably have to return the unit. I bought it from playasia hopefully they are good about returns...

Thanks for all of your help!

I have tried changing the LCD but it does not help to much and mostly makes it worse. The main problem is getting rid of the those white lines. I really think that the LCD is just broken.

OK Update... again

I've been messing around with the LCD setting and downloaded the CPU/LCD/RAM tweaker from the gp2x archives and I've gotten pretty close to what the picture should look like. If anyone has experience with this utility and would like to give me some advice on how to get the best quality please tell me.

to repeat what others have said: sounds like hardware fault. what you're describing isn't normal. sorry to see you having those kinds of problems with it.

if you've tried different timings and the best ones only *approach* a clear picture, then look no further. even on my mk1 i've got a fairly wide range of cpu/lcd timings that look great. as much as people complained about the older screens, i doubt very many have had problems of the sort you're describing.

yeah, certain timings will make my screen much brighter (basically just washing the lcd way out, since the backlight's the same), especially on the edges. and yeah, the tweaker does let you hit some extreme values. but regular/default values should already look good. if it's washed out as soon as you turn the unit on, and the more conservative lcd adjuster that comes with the firmware isn't helping, get it replaced!

Update!
Well just as I was giving up hope of fixing the problem, the unit magically fixed itself! I was getting ready to return the unit for a new one when all of a sudden, the white lines disapeared and full color came back to the display! Wow I have no idea what happened but I couldn't be happier. Hopefully this problem doesn't resurface. How weird...

Thanks for all your help!

Back