Gp2x Or Psp

Troy the Great

Still Fresh
PSP or Gp2x? Ok, I know this is over analyzed, but I have a serious choice to make. I really wan't to hear from someone who owns both. I already have Archos 420. Which plays music, movies, and has pics. So I have no intrest in Multimedia, just gaming. I am really intrested in Emulation and a little bit of other homebrew stuff. So my question is which system as of now is better for emulation. Which means: Which is easier to set up and use homebrew/emulation (as well as which one is better Organised) , Which has better quality/speed in emulating, and which is more qualified and has more potential in emulation/homebrew???

I am leaning more toward PSP. For a couple reasons: 1. Amazing screen and cool looking. 2. Seems to run more emulators with better speed(like snes) 3. More Powerful console. 4. Wifi. 5. Has a good collection of commercial games 6. The ability to emulate those commercial games. Why I am thinking about Gp2x: 1. Bigger Community 2. Seems to be have homebrew stuff, like user made games, ports(quake, doom) and More utillities. 3.TV out 4. Better fit screen for older consoles. 5. Better potential for future homebrew, since Sony dos'nt like homebrew on PSP and is updating firmware to prevent it.

I am Mainly looking to emulate: DOS, Snes, GBA, Genisis, Amiga. I am planing on ordering Either a 2gig Memmery Stick Duo(60-70$) or 2gig Sandisk(arround 50$) depending on which one I get. Gp2x cost ruffly 180$ plus shopping and Psp cost ruffly 180$ used(version 1.5 firmware, good condition) plus tax. They are holding the psp for me so I need to decide, soon. Thank you so much for all your help.

-A poor highschool gamer

I am leaning more toward PSP. For a couple reasons: 1. Amazing screen and cool looking.

Cool looking, eh? Get a PSP; you're not geek enough for the '2X

PSP or Gp2x? Ok, I know this is over analyzed, but I have a serious choice to make. I really wan't to hear from someone who owns both. I already have Archos 420. Which plays music, movies, and has pics. So I have no intrest in Multimedia, just gaming. I am really intrested in Emulation and a little bit of other homebrew stuff. So my question is which system as of now is better for emulation. Which means: Which is easier to set up and use homebrew/emulation (as well as which one is better Organised) , Which has better quality/speed in emulating, and which is more qualified and has more potential in emulation/homebrew???

I am leaning more toward PSP. For a couple reasons: 1. Amazing screen and cool looking. 2. Seems to run more emulators with better speed(like snes) 3. More Powerful console. 4. Wifi. 5. Has a good collection of commercial games 6. The ability to emulate those commercial games. Why I am thinking about Gp2x: 1. Bigger Community 2. Seems to be have homebrew stuff, like user made games, ports(quake, doom) and More utillities. 3.TV out 4. Better fit screen for older consoles. 5. Better potential for future homebrew, since Sony dos'nt like homebrew on PSP and is updating firmware to prevent it.

I am Mainly looking to emulate: DOS, Snes, GBA, Genisis, Amiga. I am planing on ordering Either a 2gig Memmery Stick Duo(60-70$) or 2gig Sandisk(arround 50$) depending on which one I get. Gp2x cost ruffly 180$ plus shopping and Psp cost ruffly 180$ used(version 1.5 firmware, good condition) plus tax. They are holding the psp for me so I need to decide, soon. Thank you so much for all your help.

-A poor highschool gamer

1. In actuality, while the psp screen is big, it is very blurry and looks cheap. 2. The GP2x actually has more emulator wise, and homebrew 3. The psp, while somewhat more powerful, isn't as much as the mhz rating would make you believe and doesn't have the advantage of ARM 4. Fair point 5. Also fair point, but GP2x is getting more, including payback. 6. Not sure what you mean here, and it's probable that if you buy a psp now it will be over 2.00 meaning no homebrew anyway.

I do have both, and currently the PSP isn't showing much promise in either homebrew/emus or commercial games outside of sports/racers/puzzlers.
Really it's all about whether you want excellent homebrew and emus or lots of commercial games.

Last edited by a moderator:
For commercial games, get a DS. For emulation, get a Gp2x. For a bit of both, but not best of both, get a PSP (and you get laid. Apparently.).

I am leaning more toward PSP. For a couple reasons: 1. Amazing screen and cool looking.

Cool looking, eh? Get a PSP; you're not geek enough for the '2X
Blunt, but to the point. (though I have to argue the screen issue)

My opinion: The PSP was too... specific for my tastes. The GP2X offered the potential for a much wider range of games and now I have one, I'm not disappointed.
Yes, they aren't brand new with super 3D graphics, but they're fun games that you'll come back to time and again and the graphics do the job required of them (and getting better in the more advanced games).

The GP2X can only get better - more emu's, more homebrew and more people working out how best to take advantage of the hardware. Why Sony wants to block individual innovation that has the potential to make their console more desirable, I don't know.

Caveat: While I did consider a PSP, I don't own one (did have a DS for a while, but sold it when my GP2X arrived)

Edit: ste_167 brings up an important point. You won't get laid if you get a GP2X (apparently)

I have both and I far prefer my GP2X. For one, it takes normal rechargables, that's good. For two, the screen is WAY better. It's smaller, but it ain't nearly as blurry and it doesn't get all grubby from your left thumb like the PSP one does due to the crappy placement of the controls.

As for emulation, PSP is a bit ahead in SNES and a minute amount in PC Engine (the sound is slightly better on the PSP PC Engine emulator, but I'm sure that won't be true for many more hours if Vobbo has anything to do with it).

But I gotta' come back to the screen, because for bright garish games like wot you'll be emulating, the PSP screen sucks donkeyballs. The lag is horrible creating big black patches between moving colours which have opposing hues. Just awful.

If you want homebrew on the psp you have to find one with the old firmware (unlikely) or buy a modchip for it.

I have both as well and I had a 1.0 psp. At the time getting emulation on it was easy. Then 1.5 game around and it was still easy. Then 2.0 came and it got a bit annoying. Using GTA (which is a piece of a$$) to play emulation/homebrew was a big turnoff for me. If you are 100% sure that it is a 1.5 psp grab it! I feel that it will better suit your needs. If it's a 2.0 or above I'd pass and get a GP2X. 2.0 and above firmwares don't use kernel mode so SNES emulation is quite a bit slower than if you have 1.5 firmware psp. Same goes for some other emulators on the psp. Genesis/Mega Drive, Amiga emulation is better on the GP2X. My firmware on the psp is 2.7 and it's just gonna keep going up, especially since some "decent" games are "finally" coming out. Sony trying to stop homebrew is just getting so tiresome, but if you can deal with it get the psp. Again don't get it if you know 100% fact that it's a 1.5. If it's 2.0 firmware you can downgrade to 1.5 and back, but just make sure you know what you're doing or you'll have a nice brick. BTW the first thing I noticed when I got my psp was the bad lcd screen. No dead pixels but it has ghosting like you won't believe. Trust everyone here when you read the gp2x screen is better. TV out is better on the GP2X as well. If you're a total geek get a GP2X, but if you want something pretty to show girls or your friends get a PSP. Also I can't believe I typed all this crap.

I own a GP2X, and have access to a PSP any time I like (my brother has one). Personally, I much prefer the GP2X. The PSP is incredibly overhyped and many of the games are pretty unimpressive. It has a few gems, but not enough to warrent a purchase for me. The wow factor dies down quickly once you've had a good amount of playtime with one, and I find the controls restrictive. I don't like the thumbpad at all.

But it really depends on what you want - high-end graphics, portable console-like experience, portable DVD disks with a good screensize for video or the GP2X; tons of homebrew content, something new every week, and not a lot of investment required once you buy the unit and an SD card (although it's best to get a good card reader, it saves a lot of hassle in the long run). I think the GP2X is a much better media player personally, and Pro Duo memory cards for the PSP are ridiculously expensive compared to SD cards.

If you have a good disposable income, and like what the PSP offers, then go for that. If not, you'll have plenty of fun with the GP2X. I like watching how things progress with the GP2X, and even being able to suggest what i'd like on the system. Falling Sand has been ported to the GP2X simply because I asked and explain how good of a game it was, it's a fantastic community which is something the PSP really lacks in my experience.

The PSP is more powerful when it comes to emulators yes, but thanks to Sony's efforts to stamp out the homebrew scene, the PSP lacks big support in that area. Sony is just going to go to further and more extreme lengths to stop that sort of thing on the system. Even if that means automatic hidden firmware updates or further restrictions.

-A poor highschool gamer

If you're poor go for the GP2X, there's plenty of free stuff and the potential for much more because it uses Linux. Sony will try to get money out of you at every turn by making you use their proprietry formats. Just about evrything about the GP2X is open e.g. Operating Sytem, AA batteries, SD card. GPH aren't trying to stop you using homebrew or selling movies you already have in yet another format.

Aah, that feels better :)

I have both since launch, the PSP was great at the beginning then it more or less ent downhill as Sony started forced upgrades. At present fullspeed DOS and GBA seems very unlikely on either system, PSP is better for Snes at this point while the GP2X offers more with other consoles and hombrew/ports such as NeoGEo MVS/AES and Mame.

I personally prefer the GP2X from a home developer's point of view. My PSP is sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

-A poor highschool gamer

If you're poor go for the GP2X, there's plenty of free stuff and the potential for much more because it uses Linux. Sony will try to get money out of you at every turn by making you use their proprietry formats. Just about evrything about the GP2X is open e.g. Operating Sytem, AA batteries, SD card. GPH aren't trying to stop you using homebrew or selling movies you already have in yet another format.

Aah, that feels better :)

Totally agree. I've had my unit for about a week or two now, and it already feels like it's been worth every penny. I use it everyday, and i've actually stopped playing my DS since I've had it. I'll go back to it, but i'm so overwhelmed with all the content I can play on my GP2X at the moment.

A few points:

1) The PSP screen is poor for emulation. The widescreen dimensions mean that the emulated image is either quite small (much smaller than GP2X), or it's stretched, which IMO looks awful. It also has bad ghosting which is terrible for fast-moving 2D games.

2) The D-pad on the PSP is really horrible.

3) Overall, the state of emulation on the GP2X is already better than PSP. The only systems better on PSP are SNES (GP2X is gaining rapidly), and N64 (which is nowhere near playable anyway!). Just about everything else is superior on GP2X, notably MAME, Amiga, Genesis, Neo Geo (lots of RAM helps) and c64.

4) Sony is doing its best to kill the homebrew PSP scene. New batches of GTA have removed the exploit. In the future, a chip (which costs half of a GP2X!) will be needed.

Having said all that, if you can get a 1.5 PSP for $180, you will likely be able to resell it for more if you don't like it.

I have all portables available, so in order that i find myself playing them the most:

1) DS
2) GP2X
3) GBA
4) GP32
5) PSP

Honest I not anti PSP, but I just dont use it. I have a few games for it but in my opinion for me the main games machine is the DS.

The gp2x scene, the people and the fact that the machine is a lot more techie (and im a techie) had the GP2x a must have buy. Telnetiing into your console ?!?!? Cool !

Im 38 !(yes that old) and unless you are mega rich trying to buy all the latest releases is hard, but I have been collecting ROMs since 1994, so with the Gp2x I have a massive games machine, 60 odd neo geo, hundreds of PC Engine, hundread of Megadrive games - and lets face it their probably the best of the GP2x emulators. More than enough to keep me busy for years.

Now the interesting fact, lay out the consoles and have my 7 yo son and 9 yo daughter pic one to play on..what do they go for ?!?!?

The truth ....

Gp2x !

Son loves the Sonic games on the megadrives, daughter loves the bomberman and cute games like Mickeys adventures...

Nuff said.

I am really intrested in Emulation and a little bit of other homebrew stuff. So my question is which system as of now is better for emulation. Which means: Which is easier to set up and use homebrew/emulation (as well as which one is better Organised) , Which has better quality/speed in emulating, and which is more qualified and has more potential in emulation/homebrew???
The GP2X is as easy to set up and use as a PC is with emulators (probably because you use a PC to make the folders :)), the PSP is as hard as doing a swap-trick on a PS1, every time you turn it on (that or shell out $50 for that new modchip/bios thing).
The GP2X has better speed in emulating due to more advanced emulators and cores written in assembler:

DrMDx, the Sega MD/Genesis emulator is the best and most compatible single emulator I have ever used even counting all the Kega and Ages and kGen98 PC Emu's.

gnuBoy, the GBC emulator is the best way on the planiet to play GBC games, it blows away my brothers GBA SP, screen is larger brighter and I think there are even savestates, but no Sram yet.

SNES is coming along nicely (not as good yet, but getting there).

PSX emulator is playable for some of the older or 2D games already (full FPS for some of the 2D games).

Brute power they are fairly even (disregarding the lack of 3D in GP2X of course), the GP2X has better qualifications due to the native 320x240 and bigger screen, since it isn't widescreen each pixel is bigger, I had two gp2x's and their screens are awesome, I tried a PSP in GameStop and was horrified by the blurriness and shoddy LCD. The GP2X has more potential and qualifications because it is open and already runs a common Linux Kernel, also 4GB 150x SD are $86.

I am leaning more toward PSP. For a couple reasons:

1. Amazing screen and cool looking.
2. Seems to run more emulators with better speed(like snes)
3. More Powerful console.
4. Wifi.
5. Has a good collection of commercial games
6. The ability to emulate those commercial games.
1. NO, screen is crap, I have played both, GP2X owns here. Cool? eh, only in the way an Ipod is cool (it wears off quick and you payed too much for it)
2. The Snes is the only one quicker at the moment, and it has only been in development so long, it is getting faster all the time.
3. Eh, ok, but does that mean anything? Aside from the 3d hardware they are fairly even, we have 64MB of SDRAM though, and most all units will clock to 245mhz, some to nearly 300mhz. Properly made games and emus are what counts, maybe we will hit a wall, but I think it will be after a 85%-90% perfect PSX emu (I.E. all games except those that taxed the real PSX running full-speed with no overclock)
4. We have wifi, I realize it is a bit of a hack, but it is doable, people have posted on this board with their GP2X on a wifi link to the net.
5. No, I don't think any of those are good, personal preference maybe, but I can't shell out $30, $40 or $50 for crap that is only playable/interesting for 10mins.
6. ?? Don't have a clue about what you mean here.
Why I am thinking about Gp2x:
1. Bigger Community
2. Seems to be have homebrew stuff, like user made games, ports(quake, doom) and More utillities.
3.TV out
4. Better fit screen for older consoles.
5. Better potential for future homebrew, since Sony dos'nt like homebrew on PSP and is updating firmware to prevent it.

I am Mainly looking to emulate: DOS, Snes, GBA, Genisis, Amiga.

1. Yes
2. More in spades, also just about anything using SDL or X11 on Linux is already good to go with minor porting.
3. You can't believe enough how good this is, Divx movies play on this in full-res, take it to a friends house with a collection of cool Anime or some obscure cult-classic (like Mystery Science Theater 3000)
4. Yes, Tekken 3 when I tried it last December blew my socks off (it ran at 2fps ingame back then, but the menu looked so good at 12fps I shed a tear), Sonic looks like it was Made to be played on it, the best I have ever seen Sega Genesis Games look. Period.
5. You hit the nail on the head, Sony is selling at a loss, these guys are selling at a profit, Sony needs to force you to buy games to break even.

DOS, we have it
Snes, getting better, seems ~70-80% playable/compatible/full-speed (superFX is still a no right now, sound is a slow-down)
GBA, don't bother it isn't very fast yet, it can definitely get there, but do we need Nintendo lawsuits (it would be that good), GBC is great though.

Genesis, DrMDx is The BEST. Period. (including PC emus it is unbelievably well-timed and compatible)
Amiga, it is out there, lots of custom and specialized chips mean it will be tough to get it compatible at playable speeds, but the Atari ST is comparable and the Commodore64 emu is awesome.

I don't know if you were just unaware, but we have USB Host, all you need is an adaptor for the EXT port* and you can plug in your USB hard-drive or flash-stick and play emus and movies/mp3's off it.

Also this is how you get Wifi or USB to LAN adaptors working, also USB gamepads are functional (see retrousb.com, then wipe up the drool)
*(you can make your own, see the link in my sig, the commercial one from the manufacturer is awful, but TechFreak is designing a better one.)

Just something important about the PSP:

If you're going to buy a new one at the time, it maybe possible that you'll never be able to play homebrew/emulators on it. Wait until there's a new crack for it, or buy an old one if you'll choose the PSP. I just think that's an important argument.

But I myself would suggest you buying a gp2x, just because Sony is able to kill his homebrew community completly. I'm sure they will be able to produce a firmware, that will stop homebrew completly, and so the community will die.

It's funny how people ask this sort of question in the GP2X forums, I don't see how you can expect an objective answer from an obviously biased group. I freely admit to being a GP2X fanboy ("boy" might be stretching a bit at 43) :)

Have you tried the same question on the PSP forums?

Back