Gp2x Freezes At Firmware V2.0.0 Black Boot Screen

dodgyville

Website
Visit site
Hi, I have upgraded my gp2x several times (1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.4), and this week I decided to upgrade to 2.0 ... However, now the unit doesn't get past the initial boot screen (black background with firmware v2 written on it).

I have a bad feeling this means it is bricked, but now I'm not really sure what to do!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Luke

ninjak posted on Jul 25 2006 at 05:10 PM said:
have you held start+sel during boot up to trigger the firmware upgrade (not uboot)

Yes I have.

I guess my problem is that looking at the documentation (FAQs, user guide, threads, DJWillis guide), I get the kind of feeling that it is bricked, but there's no "How to tell if your GP2X is bricked" section that spells it out for idiots like me! I mean, it won't boot into the menu is a pretty big sign ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure the update files are still on your sd? Cause the gp2x may have deleted them.
Check it and boot up again while pressing Start+Select... Maybe you`re lucky...

Have you checked the latest GP2X user guide available in the archive?

It does contain info about this problem. I had it, I think you just need to re-try the upgrade and it fixes itself, but precise details are in this manual

craigix posted on Jul 25 2006 at 10:42 PM said:
Put all the files back on the SD and write protect it - now upgrade again.

I formatted my SD card fat32, copied the eleven files ingp2x-f100_200_060428.zip on to the SD card, "locked" the SD card (read-only) and held down START+SELECT while turning on the gp2x ... it just sat on the black boot screen "GP2X firmware v2" and never changed (I switched it off after about 7 minutes).

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, though, so please keep 'em coming.

Luke

Well, holding START and SELECT while switching on initializes the upgrade process, which first checks for upgrade files on your card and then starts the upgrade if it fines them.

As nothing happens, it looks like it doesn't recognize your card, something seems to be wrong here.

EvilDragon posted on Jul 26 2006 at 07:06 PM said:
Well, holding START and SELECT while switching on initializes the upgrade process, which first checks for upgrade files on your card and then starts the upgrade if it fines them.

As nothing happens, it looks like it doesn't recognize your card, something seems to be wrong here.

The SD card was the 1gig that came with my machine from gp2x.co.uk ... can I test to see if it is recognised in anyway (without a special cable)?

EDIT: I deleted the partion on the card and reformatted it with gparted as fat32, but there was an error. It would not format at fat32. However, it would format as fat16 (but with no effect on the boot of the gp2x).

if you hold down START and SELECT will it bypass the firmware v2 black boot screen and go straight to the upgrading screen, or will it still show the black boot screen for a while? This might help me figure out whether the boot is screwed or whether it is not reading the SD card properly...

dodgyville posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
EDIT: I deleted the partion on the card and reformatted it with gparted as fat32, but there was an error. It would not format at fat32. However, it would format as fat16 (but with no effect on the boot of the gp2x).

Well, it will only work if formatted as fat32, it won't work as fat16, I can tell you that much.

if you hold down START and SELECT will it bypass the firmware v2 black boot screen and go straight to the upgrading screen, or will it still show the black boot screen for a while? This might help me figure out whether the boot is screwed or whether it is not reading the SD card properly...

It only triggers the check for upgrade files, so as long as it doesn't recognize the card with the files, it stays at the black screen.

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Jul 29 2006 at 01:19 AM said:
dodgyville posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:49 AM said:

Well, it will only work if formatted as fat32, it won't work as fat16, I can tell you that much.

It only triggers the check for upgrade files, so as long as it doesn't recognize the card with the files, it stays at the black screen.

HUZZAH! I got it working. The problem was the gparted on my dapper ubuntu was slightly dodgy. So I apt-got a newer version, it formatted fat32 (but didn't like it - apparently sd cards are not too fond of fat32?) and viola, it's "formatting - please wait" even as we speak. You have no idea how pleased I am it works. It has been a long week and I was afraid I'd have to send it all back to England.

Anyway, thanks EvilDragon (and Craigx), your little nuggets of advice helped me solve the problem.

Arrghghghhg !

Think mine has bricked.

Been playing with it tons the past few days (hence my messages about lots of emulators etc), upgraded to 2.0 this morning.

Everything fine, emulators working great, says 2.0 everywhere.

Put on some more games onto the card, turned the machine on then suddenly it just hung at the start screen ?!?!

Waited a long time, turned it off then turned it back on and now the dreaded vertical lines.

No, i was hoping that would be the case but i put some brand new batteries in which had been charging forever and its dead as a dodo :-(

The power light comes on (no battery low indicator) but then the lines instantly appear, no front screen or anything

psj3809 posted on Aug 1 2006 at 02:31 AM said:
No, i was hoping that would be the case but i put some brand new batteries in which had been charging forever and its dead as a dodo :-(

The power light comes on (no battery low indicator) but then the lines instantly appear, no front screen or anything

Try different batteries. I had the exact same problem with a pair of rechargables two days ago. I had them in the charger for maybe 24 hours but they were dead on arrival in the gp2x. I think maybe one battery is faulty? Or overcharging was bad or something.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like your unit is bricked just yet.

Thanks for the suggestion, i tried it with various batteries but still the same problem.

Sent the unit off to someone to try and 'unbrick' it. Fingers crossed ! Frustrating thing is i've used it tons lately due to the new emulators etc, love the machine specially with TV Out

Back