Gp2x Freezes And Usb Problems

d_lamer2003

Still Fresh
I just got a gp2x. After 5 minutes of usage roughly, it freezes!. I can be playing a game,watching a movie, pictures etc :S, the problem happens with or withouth an SD card! :( and then I have to switch off the gp2x to use it again :(.

Another thing, when I attach the gp2x to windows tru usb, windows does not recogniz the gp2x, even after I try to install the driver from this page http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1473.

I do not have a card reader and at the moment, Im very low on cash :(. So another expense would be a bit of a problem.

Please help me anyone.....

Thanks for your help about the battery issue.
What about the USB thingy? Why is there trouble for window recognizing my gp2x?

d_lamer2003 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 10:17 AM said:
It doesn't work, Most digital cameras have the same kind of crap, and are just as slow.

Buy the $3 card reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Aug 8 2006 at 07:24 PM said:
It doesn't work, Most digital cameras have the same kind of crap, and are just as slow.

Buy the $3 card reader.

Im going to buy a GP2X but have few questions
Does normal 1.5V battery's work for the GP2X? Because i got a whole 16-pack from a friend. But they are a few months over the expiration date will that damage the GP2X?

Dennis1989 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 05:45 PM said:

Buy the $3 card reader.

Does normal 1.5V battery's work for the GP2X? Because i got a whole 16-pack from a friend. But they are a few months over the expiration date will that damage the GP2X?

You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.

Shikaku posted on Aug 8 2006 at 11:48 PM said:
Dennis1989 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 05:45 PM said:

Buy the $3 card reader.

You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.
You need NIMH batteries.

so you say its only working with rechargable battery's ?

It works with normal batterys aswell, but because of their high internal resistance they will be empty after about 20 minutes of gp2x usage. Not very economical...

Dennis1989 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
so you say its only working with rechargable battery's ?
Only high-drain supporting batteries, for example:

Nickel Metal Hydride NiMH (cheapest option)

Li-Ion disposables (expensive)

Use D-cells and wire to battery tray somehow, possibly.

Use Li-Ion packs, very expensive and requires a charge/discharge circuit.

The GP2X has been known to draw from a half AMP to close to a full AMP.

Regular (Alkaline) batteries in the AA size can't provide that much power all at once, they get maxed and will come back to life if let relax.

Just get a 4-pack of Duracell or Energizer NiMH at wal-mart or Target or something, and a NiMH charger, usually available in a pack or seperately for about $20 total.

Refering to my post about the freezing issue.
I have bought a pack of 4 rechargable Ni-MH batteries (2300mAh). Thank God the freezing issue doesnt happen when I am playing or hearing music, but whilst I am watching a video after 5 to 10 minutes the video freezes and I have to switch on and off again the gp2x to continue watching the movie :(. Is there a better solution, or maybe some options which I need to modify to prevent that?

d_lamer2003 posted on Aug 9 2006 at 10:37 AM said:
Refering to my post about the freezing issue.
I have bought a pack of 4 rechargable Ni-MH batteries (2300mAh). Thank God the freezing issue doesnt happen when I am playing or hearing music, but whilst I am watching a video after 5 to 10 minutes the video freezes and I have to switch on and off again the gp2x to continue watching the movie :(. Is there a better solution, or maybe some options which I need to modify to prevent that?
What about playing with the adapter when connected in wall socket that is the best option if your @ home?

Dennis 1989 I dont have an adapter :(, but If I have to buy one Im going to buy everything for gp2x power adapter/ card reader and the expenses keeps going up :(. Im very short on cash at the moment, so extra expenses would be alot for me :(

d_lamer2003 posted on Aug 9 2006 at 02:50 PM said:
Dennis 1989 I dont have an adapter :(, but If I have to buy one Im going to buy everything for gp2x power adapter/ card reader and the expenses keeps going up :(. Im very short on cash at the moment, so extra expenses would be alot for me :(

Im going to buy a GP2X but now i hear all these battery problems i'll take a AC adaptor with it only thing is that its 20 dollars extra..

Vimacs posted on Aug 9 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
what brand are you batteries?

The rechargable batteries are unbranded I bought them from a computer shop. I charged them yesterday and after 4hrs of (non-continous) usage, I have still have not needed to charge them.

I also used a pair of energizer batteries (non-rechargable), but still the movie freeze happened :(

d_lamer2003 posted on Aug 9 2006 at 07:13 AM said:
Vimacs posted on Aug 9 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
what brand are you batteries?

The rechargable batteries are unbranded I bought them from a computer shop. I charged them yesterday and after 4hrs of (non-continous) usage, I have still have not needed to charge them.

I also used a pair of energizer batteries (non-rechargable), but still the movie freeze happened :(
I am sorry to hear that. I also had the movie-freezing problem. I believe it is a problem with the firmware as it only happened to me in firmware 2.0

Try the new mplayer that has been compiled, I will post a link to it here. I heard it stops the freezing, if you have the right batteries there is no need to worry now.

You need to run it from the Utilities menu so that it works correctly, here are links to the news topic and the file archive:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=0&p=432266

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,1679

Thanks nubie, I will install it and give it a shot, and report back if it solved my problem relating movies. :)

How bigger the mAh is how longer the battery's will work until the are out of energy right? The volts are always the same right? (in this case it is 1,2 volt) Because i have found 2700 mAh battery's are these good? How many battery's are going in the GP2X and what sort of battery's?

Back