Gp2x F200 Opinions

christo930

I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the f200 model

1) Is the screen better quality than the f100 or is it the same screen? Despite being active matrix, there are viewing angles that are really noticeable on teh f1oo when trying to use it as a reader. Does it have these same flaws?

2) The controller. Is it good? Is it better than the original? I've heard it's 4 unconnected buttons unlike the normal floating single t controller. Does this configuration have it's advantages? Is it better on 4 way games like pac man, ms pacman mr do, etc? What about disadvantages? Is it easier or harder on your thumb? (I have problems with my thumb)

3) Was their any changes to the design that increases battery life over the old model?

4) overclockability. Can you list your highest stable clock speed? Do they all overclock or do some not overclock. I ask because I have an f-100 that doesn't overclock at all! 240mhz tops (the chips are rated at 240mhz)

Chris

my answers:
2) the directional buttons are a little different at first, but you get used to it pretty quick. I don't think its any better or worse than the 'nintendo-style' d-pad, it's just different. I've heard that it is nicer than the joystick.

4) 260 or 265 is max.

I agree that the button setup takes some getting use to, however the biggest problem is that there is no center button, it ruins a lot of shooting games for me. I haven't noticed anything different about the screen... but i just got mine .

Oh and battery life hasn't changed noticeably for me

The screen may be brighter, some have said they can see the wires but I can't or maybe it's not using a screen protector on the F200 touch pad. They're just 4 buttons, but they are an improvement. The joystick part used itself on the f100 was not quite as industrial grade as it should have been to put it politely. Battery life about the same. I've never felt the urge to over clock mine, they all run pretty fast and I don't emulate much.

1) I think there were 2 different screens for the f100 model too. I think there was a difference in the brightness of color or something. With the f200 there did seem to be a viewing angle difference that I had to get used to. Its something I never really heard a complaint about here before but it is something I had to get used when I went from my f100 to f200

2) The controller is mostly good except it seems harder to pull off rolling motions for fighting games. Being controlled with a joystick, it seemed easier to do those motions on the f100. However, in pretty much any other kind of gaming its much easier to control your character and have precise control over where you go. with the f200 you can actually go straight up, down, left, and right with no problem unlike the f100. I find the f200 much better for shmups, and anything requiring twitch gaming skills.

3) nothing official changed though I feel like my f200 is easier on batteries than my f100 was. then again after a while for some reason my f100 seemed like it was eating up batter power quicker and quicker. so nothing definitive but the f200 definitely doesn't seem to be any worse with power despite the louder speaker and touch screen.

4) I think most I've ever done is 270. 260-265 seems to be a safe bet for all f200 models. I usually don't need higher than 250 though since if you're using something that needs that high of a speed its usually something that isn't running that fast to begin with.

The screen is much better than the original F100 screen. I don't know about the f100/mk2 screens but I'm guessing it's better than those, too.

The directional buttons aren't as good as a +, but IMO much better than the joystick for most things (probably not circular motions).

Some people, including me, lost a piece off of the board, I think it was a little capacitor but I don't remember for sure. After that my original's battery life was much shorter. But brand new they're probably both the same.

Mine goes to maybe 265.

rokdcasbah said:
The screen is much better than the original F100 screen. I don't know about the f100/mk2 screens but I'm guessing it's better than those, too.

The directional buttons aren't as good as a +, but IMO much better than the joystick for most things (probably not circular motions).

Some people, including me, lost a piece off of the board, I think it was a little capacitor but I don't remember for sure. After that my original's battery life was much shorter. But brand new they're probably both the same.

Mine goes to maybe 265.
Yeah, the f100 mk2 screen was worse than the mk1, I haven't seen an f200 though.

(MK1 screen had much better viewing angles, but poor contrast and flickering, but I am very very susceptible to flickering, so it might have been fine for most people.)

The MK2 was a better contrast and color screen, except the viewing angle was so narrow that it was almost unusable. IE you were never at the proper angle to really see the better colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back