Gp2x Contest Winner! Wind & Water: Puzzle Battles By Yuan Work

Nice game concept, A r k. And thanks for the bunch of information you provided...

One question: From which country do you come from (and your company) ?

Regards,
Stephan

A r K your game should of won 1st place, visual novels is very noobish in my opinion ...

A r K your game should of won 1st place in my opinion, I havent seen the visual novel game yet but im a puzzle game fan, visual novel to me just means boredom

No I don`t think so.
You don`t know the novel how could you say this game is better?
And im trust gph to choose the right game for the first place (if english ;) )
gratulations ARK your game look awesome
any dates for the demo?

Its a novel...A NOVEL...im a gamer what in sam hills would I wanna read some soap opera on the go just wasting my batteries

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

We are half Taiwanese, half Hispanic. Our company Yuan Works Co. Ltd. is currently located in Costa Rica, Central America.

Novels are not too interactive on the most part. We'll have to see how this one turns out to be.

And yes, we will add joystick support, since playing two players or playing with your favorite joystick really turns out to make the game much more playable :)

-- YuanHao

And yes, we will add joystick support, since playing two players or playing with your favorite joystick really turns out to make the game much more playable
-----
GREAT!! I can't wait to buy it!

I posted this before already, I just wanted to separate it from my brother's post now that I'm a member myself. Also for anyone who didn't read it and would find it useful. If it is to be erased, please edit my brother's post and leave this one.

Hello, everyone.

My name is Yuan-Hsi Chiang and I'm in charge of the artistic and design department at Yuan Works.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for all the great feedback; it is the opinion of the GP2X community the one that matters most to us.

We're very happy that for the most part, we've heard possitive comments. They are enormously appreciated by us.

Yes, we aren't exactly the happiest with the contest results, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of graphic novel that was so to snatch the first place so firmly. Thank you for all your support.

Of course, ALSO equally as welcome are the critiques made towards our game. We really like to hear your opinion.

crimsonnight: Don't worry, we will try to keep the price as accessible as we can. We'll try to have a demo ready soon so you can judge for yourself if you like our game.

A_SN:Thank you very much for your comments. Yes my friend, I would agree with you that our game doesn't use the full capacities of the GP2X. But Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles is pretty much a first generation game on the console's life-span. Remember the old days with the Famicom/NES, SFamicom/SNES, MegaDrive/Genesis, Playstation, and all others? They didn't start getting sofware that would really show the potential of each respective console until much later when more software was available.

Also, we have worked on the GameBoy Advance. Not homebrew, but professionally as contract work for game developers. We know pretty much the strenghts and weakenesses of the console, and I assure you, my friend, we DO NOT think the GP2X is a big GameBoy.

Also, anyone familiar with puzzle battles games with complex engines (not that many, I'm affraid) probably know the all time greats like Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack. The SFamicom/SNES game had a lot of slowdown and clumsiness because the CPU tried to calculate the matches (I don't mean it isn't great, though). The GameBoy Advance version is MUCH clumsier and feels a little bit jerky for experienced players. And it was done by a professional Japanese company.

Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles simply cannot be made for the GBA the way it runs on GP2X. It has a MUCH more complex engine (we're not saying it's better, but it's immensely more complex); you can read a little bit about how it works in our website. The graphics are arcade quality since the resolution is so good, each character has over 100 frames of animation, there are over 40 or 50 different sounds playing during matches, as well as streamed audio and, if you're playing against the computer, advanced AI. The special effects are animated traditionally, like they were done on the NeoGeo MVS system. Our game doesn't drop frames, doesn't load, and saves your battery time. And our code is pretty clean.

We wrote this so that you don't think that we are not serious about the GP2X, on the contrary, we are planning to work on bigger projects with GamePark Holdings to try to see it's capabilities to the limit. Thanks again for your opinion.

JUSTiNB: Thank you for your feedback, it is a GREAT compliment. That's exactly the kind of quality we sought to achieve. About the music, we're sorry that some of it is not to your liking, but many of it comes from the Yuan Works characters that are in the game, and many of these were RPGs. But don't worry, there are more upbeat tunes for people like you, and we hope you will like them! Well, the soundtrack right now is over 20 songs, so we might hit the spot with at least one!

To everyone: Thank you for your time and support, it is very encouraging that the people who matter the most, the GP2X community are so receptive towards us. Reading comments like "you deserve 1st price", and "nice and polished game" really make working so hard on developing games worth all the trouble. After all, they are meant for you guys to have fun!

Best regards

Yuan

looks nice, from videos. unfortunately, i left my GP2x on a bus so i don't have one right now :( , but if i did, it looks like a purchase. i like how there's a pause between when the pieces disappear and when they drop down.

will you be releasing future updates for the game after initial release, for bug fixes, enhancements and the like?

congrats on your contest results.

Hi. I'm Yuan-Hsi.

First things first. YOU LEFT IT IN A BUS?! Haha. Don't worry. It's material, it's replaceable. But still, I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps you'll get another one soon. Anyway.

Thank you for your comments and interest!

The "pause" before the pieces fall works only if you're playing in Expert Mode, Time Chain SP (Super Cancel). How long it is depends on how well you play, and you can drop the panel with the R shoulder button. You can read more about the system in our website if it interests you. www.yuan-works.com

As for future updates, the final version we plan to release will be very meticulously checked for bugs and other things. Also, it will include many extras and it will be a very complete game.

We have considered making an update to it in the future, but substantial enough for it to be worthwhile.

Nevertheless, it is rather early for us to talk about it now. Don't worry. The commercial version will be a professional product. You have our world. Yuan Works is very serious about giving true quality to all those who are willing to purchase our games.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks again.

Yuan

PS: I'm writing my name and phone number on my GP2X just in case...

Yeah but, in the case of horrid bugs, since the game will be a download, it's most likely that if a bug ever pops out, a bugfix or patch will come out. In other words, we really don't expect any serious bugs (in fact, the demo version doesn't have many bugs as with the testing done, which was alot), but if they do happen, rest assured that we will patch it :)

BTW I feel sorry for your GP2X :( :(

this game looks absolutely awesome--hand drawn, vibrant sprites ... fast arcade puzzle action (something like tetris attacks & zoo keeper) .... professional polish

can't wait for the playable demo in december.

how big do you expect the final game to be? i'm not really a fan of carrying around extra SD cards (i know, the things are huge hehe) and would rather just download when i buy.

Thank you for your comments!

We can't tell you yet how big the game will be, since it depends on many things. For instance, the game already has a lot of music, and we are considering encoding it at a higher quality.

The demo version won't be that heavy, but the final commercial version, though not ridiculously big, will be heavier than the demo.

We have yet to discuss those things, but it won't be too big. We have good compression methods, ALL the graphics are sprite artwork (which takes up little memory), and the code is very clean. It will be available most likely as a download.

Thanks a lot.

Yuan

I had the chance to play it already when I was in Korea a few weeks ago at GPH headquarters.

It's an absolutely awesome puzzle game. I had a lot of fun, and I usually don't like Puzzle Games (except for Magical Drop III ;))

Anyways, sure it doesn't show the true potential of a console - but which puzzle game does that?
Does Lumines show the potential of a PSP? Nope.

Puzzle Games don't have to push a console to its' limits :)

I love puzzle games, and this looks simply great! Will be buying!

I actually loved the music on the Utube demo. I loved some of the chilled out tunes on Lumines.

But this game looks superb! Just the type of puzzle game I love. please, I know there must be, but just tell me that it is all hi-score based? I need hi-scores and statistics in my puzzle games....

I love puzzle games, and this looks simply great! Will be buying!

I actually loved the music on the Utube demo. I loved some of the chilled out tunes on Lumines.

But this game looks superb! Just the type of puzzle game I love. please, I know there must be, but just tell me that it is all hi-score based? I need hi-scores and statistics in my puzzle games....

Score? You mean will the game have hi-scores?

Of course it will, and we will be including our (the team's) hi-scores, I've gotten pretty good at this game :)

Also, the demo we shipped for the contest already had a lot of statistics, I personally love to see how many combos I've done, biggest chain, etc. etc. so we included it :)

Thanks for the comments!

Just wanted to add my agreement to what has already been said - watched the youtube videos and it looks amazing and very polished. Very impressed to see the very professional touch and the work that has gone into it is very clear - great work, and looking forward to the release :)

Also wanted to add my comment that I would much much prefer a version which could be downloaded (being in the UK, postage and packaging from outside the UK is expensive and even within the UK unreliable (they like to deliver when there's nobody home, and then they take it away again!), and downloading is much more convenient), I always find myself much more likely to purchase something if I can download it. Furthermore, It'd be really great if I could have it on my current SD card, the one thing I like about my gp2x is having everything in one place on one card, so if that was possible it'd be greatly appreciated - I admit I'd even be willing to pay extra for the convenience.

Other than those comments, all I can see is I'm looking forward to this release and your future work, (and especially the demo!) and wish you all the best in your developments

Thanks! :)

Just thought I'd pitch in my approval of this project. It looks like a great game, well drawn with interesting gameplay. I'm a big fan of this style of game, used to play Tetris Attack on SNES for hours and I'm also a fan of Magical Drop and the like.

I was browsing the Yuan Works Website and came across the history page, could you tell us more about your shooter Tenshin? looks nice..

PS Welcome to the gp32x.de forums! :)

Back