Gp2x+bob+usbethernet=onlineplay?

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
I was thinking, since Bob turns the GP2X into a full operatable linux machine. Which can use hardware as long as its supported by linux, does this mean that I can use a USB to ethernet device. Use it to host or join online doom,doom2,duke nukem & quake games online?

now i havent looked at these particular ports for the gp2x, however, you need not a breakoutbox to get internet on the gp2x.

I think the missing piece is needing games built with network support... I'm not sure if there's many at all that are ready for it. You should be able to get USB ethernet to work fine, but might need to compile the driver for it if it's not included in the firmware.

BradN posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:03 AM said:
I think the missing piece is needing games built with network support... I'm not sure if there's many at all that are ready for it. You should be able to get USB ethernet to work fine, but might need to compile the driver for it if it's not included in the firmware.

:blink: If I was GPH I would commendate you on your suggestions, anyhow I wanna kicks some arse online like its 1995 again except a dedicated server for the GP2X gamers

Last edited by a moderator:
Network gaming already exisits - Liquid War (link in my sig) can do it.

You use USB networking to connect to a server on a PC, or the internet.

The GP2X executable for the server is there as well but you'd need to make a script to run it.

It works but I wouldn't bother though, there are a number of problems:

1. Using a USB cable, you are very close it the PC anyway, why use the GP2X when you can run it on the PC
2. If you attach to the internet servers, there's no one on them
3. I don't know anyone with a GP2X that I could play a LAN game with

The networking is disabled in Quake, but I'm slowly trying to get it working (all it did the last time I had a play with the code was lock up when you try and connect, but at least it was trying :))

Back