GP2X Gp2x As A Home Console

Jaguarandine

One of the reasons I originally purchased my system was because I thought it would be ideal to use as a replacement for many of my legacy consoles; thus I would have an integrated all-in-one unit and not have to worry about wiring and other issues associated with a large number of systems (well, just the 2x, 360, ps3, and wii :) ).

Just to clarify, yes, I know about the Xbox (I have one). They're great. However, the GP2X allows a portability and an openess that the Xbox lacks.

Obviously we're not quite at this point yet, but the potential here is just amazing. Here are some ideas I've been thinking about. Note that they all require the retail BoB that isn't available just yet. <_<

1)A USB adapter that allows input of an original system accessory such as a multitap, controller, or light gun. USB Keyboard and mouse support of course would be great for emulated PC games or homebrew.

2)The ability to stream content from a USB hard drive or computer to the GP2X. CD-ROM support for emulators and games too.

3)Internet play, via a (wifi, bluetooth, whatever) connection to a computer or router and appropriate software

4)System link multiplayer between 2 GP2Xs (tv-out or not), allowing each player their own screen. Or, possibly a homebrew title a la Zelda Four Swords.

I don't think there's too many gaming systems on the market that can do all that. Actually, I could see the 2x filling a comfortable niche, and attracting a nice amount of users and homebrew/commercial games as a result.

This is probably why I'm not on the forums complaining about the crappy joystick or bad viewing angle: because the gp2x has so much potential otherwise it's really irrelevant. What about XGP/GP3X? Nope, I think a setup like this would last us 3-4 years easy. GP3X or whatever its called can wait.

I have some time to reflect since my '2x broke, and it's pretty late right now; sorry, my ideas may not be getting across clearly. Let me know what you think. Possible? Beyond the GP2X's abilities? What do we need to make this happen?

I love the system link idea. Like GPH release a cable that connects via EXT or something so 2 can be directly linked, or even EXT to USB which then connects to your pc and we can play against others online, by using something like www.teamxlink.co.uk now that is something i badly want, the ability to multiplay.

I reall think thats the only thing missing from this system, well that and slightly better power managment to save our batteries, like a software controlled screen dimmer, my mk2 is hellishly bright.

EDIT: I still love my xbox though, although ive turned it into a dedicated emulation system now. I cant think of a better end to such a great console B)

Technically, 1, 2 & 3 are available without a retail BOB, but they are not really available to the general public.

#1 is the easiest, since with the developer BOB all that is needed is some hardware support provided by Puck2099's USBJOY library. Yod4z has done a great job testing out the programs with support usb and posted them on the French part of the wiki.

Some examples already supporting external joypads:
*Beat2x (1)
*Squares (1 usb mouse in 2P mode)
*Alexkidd2x (2)
*Picodrive (1)
*CPS2emu (4)
*MAME GP2X (4)
*STerm (usb keyboard)

And possibly some others I am missing.

#2 would require the USB Host adapter from (http://www.artaylor.co.uk/gp2x/). I'm really hoping one day gp2xstore.com will carry Richard Taylor's mod and the D-PAD mod in the US, it would really cut down on shipping and promote purchasing of the modded parts. I'm not sure what you mean by CD-ROM support, but that could always be incorporated if demand is high enough.

#3 could be accomplished with the USB Host adapter, or an internal mod (see GPS/USB Host/

Bluetooth, wifi, and GPS all require drivers, and would be ideally brought to the mainstream through a modding service similar to the DPAD service. This way a single brand could be used, there would be a lowered chance of breaking something, and it would be available to the non-hardware-savvy.

Note: Bluetooth drivers are already available at the Archive.

And IIRC there is always hope for SDIO drivers someday...

#4 sounds cool, but so few people would have access to a second GP2X, I doubt it would become anymore than a hardware developer's toy.

Back