Gp2brew : Issue Zero

gp2brew

Website
gp2brew.com
We're proud to announce the arrival of a new GP32/GP2X disk magazine, GP2Brew!

This is the zeroeth issue, created to give you a taste of the brew and garner some interest in developing the concept further for subsequent editions.

Download GP2Brew for older or Blu+ GP32's, we'll release for the GP2X when it arrives and Fenix is ported over ;)

Enjoy,

D.C.C.

GP2Brew - Editor

kknd_cf: Sorry about that, I didn't notice the popup info about news posts needing approval until the second time I posted, oops.

Max: As it's only the initial teaser issue, it's a bit light on content. That said we have an article on the GP32 Demo Scene (or lack of it), a feature on Fenix and it's possibilities, a piece on the GP2X clone, and some other blurbs by myself to inspire people to contribute ;)

The web version of the mag will be up soon, with the exact same design from the handheld version broken up into three column pages.

Stay tuned ;)

It was a nice surprise to check that one yesterday. I was especially furious to head back home and read it on the real thing, after noticing the main theme in the title screen. It's exactly the similar problem I am talking about in an article for a Dreamcast diskmag that is about to be released soon. Where is the scene? (Also check the discussion here http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=2355). Yes, it's kinda sad there is not much of a scene here and if people who have produced demos for the GP32 in the past aren't much interested anymore, this makes me one of the few GP32 sceners remaining (Yep, I've borrowed Max's GP32 and currently working on my first demo here).

Just few things: You probably need a good diskmag engine (I wish I had the time for doing one for you, but currently working on my demo :) Perhaps I will reconsider few months later?), I see that the articles are just scrolling images (though they look cool this way they are designed). What happens with more or bigger articles though?

If I'd consider sending you an article, I guess I'll have to be preety short, something that is not my virtue ;).

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :)

It was a nice surprise to check that one yesterday. I was especially furious to head back home and read it on the real thing, after noticing the main theme in the title screen. It's exactly the similar problem I am talking about in an article for a Dreamcast diskmag that is about to be released soon. Where is the scene? (Also check the discussion here http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=2355). Yes, it's kinda sad there is not much of a scene here and if people who have produced demos for the GP32 in the past aren't much interested anymore, this makes me one of the few GP32 sceners remaining (Yep, I've borrowed Max's GP32 and currently working on my first demo here).

Yeah, I think the demo scene can be underestimated by non-sceners, as it really can bring a bit of style and energy to the community. Although as I said in the article, the GP32 aint dead yet ;)

Just few things: You probably need a good diskmag engine (I wish I had the time for doing one for you, but currently working on my demo :) Perhaps I will reconsider few months later?), I see that the articles are just scrolling images (though they look cool this way they are designed). What happens with more or bigger articles though?

Yeah, really this was a release to just get the concept out there. I'd originally planned to work up an outfit that laid out text and images properly, but then realised I might as well just use captured images of web layout for this initial teaser issue.

Also it makes it much easier to port to a 3 column web layout (coming soon ;) ).

The first issue will most likely feature a proper layout engine, a decent snazzy content index selection bit, and a select button context menu for changing tunes etc.

Quite probably I'll do that in Fenix as well, I don't have much time to learn C++ right now. Although if someone steps up to do it, I will not complain.

One advantage of Fenix tho, will be instant porting to the GP2X as I hear Chui will be bringing Fenix to the new handheld. Yay :)

If I'd consider sending you an article, I guess I'll have to be preety short, something that is not my virtue ;).

Well, if I did another issue in the same style as the current one and had larger articles, I'd just break them up into pages and be damned with the file size ;)

Seriously tho, I have a fairly simple concept in mind for article layout that should work, so fingers crossed. B)

Cheers,

DCC

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, just on Pouet and I notice some nice scener added GP2Brew over there :)

Makes me feel all warm inside it does.

I thought I recognised your handle from somewhere, Optimus, you commented on my C64 release earlier this year; PETSCII Ate My Tinysid. Heh, small world.

<- Slartibartfast/Chrome btw, hehe.

Look forward to seeing that GP32 demo :)

>I thought I recognised your handle from somewhere, Optimus, you commented >on my C64 release earlier this year; PETSCII Ate My Tinysid. Heh, small world.
>
>- Slartibartfast/Chrome btw, hehe.

Great! I didn't knew we have a C64 scener here :lol:

Just a small update ;)

After chatting with Gandysampras on IRC today I realised that people can view GP2Brew in the GeePee32 emulator, even though the mag has been made to be viewed "sideways" on a GP32. You just have to set your graphics card to rotate your screen by 90 degrees.

Ok, I know that sounds wacky, but it worked for Gandy so I figured that a release for the GeePee32 emulator was in order. So, an SMC image has been created to allow easier emulame... um... emulator usage. ;)

Of course, it runs a bit slower in GeePee32 and at startup there seems to be a significant pause, but it works anyway.

So, if you're interested in giving the admittedly light on content teaser issue a look and you don't have a GP32, then pop over to the GP32X file archive and download the emulator version.

Cheers,

DCC

GP2Brew Editor

p.s. Also for various reasons, even though the three column tableless web layouts of the magazine have been created, the GP2Brew portal's function is being reconsidered. So your best bet would be to check it out in an emulator for the moment ;)

Back