Gp Cinema

celicaslc

Still Fresh
Hi Everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help, I have been trying everyday for weeks to convert my movies an music videos onto my gp32 blu, without any success,

Can anyone advise me on what version of Virtualdub to use and what settings to use?
I have tried lots of combinations over thw last few weeks and am getting nowhere, the gp32 just keeps resetting!!!
Thanks a million
Steve..... Shortly to go insane!!!!! :(

make sure you use THIS version of the xvid codec, or if u want to use divx you must use divx 4.11

If you use any other codec, or any other version of those codecs GPcinema wont play them

You must resize the video to 320x240 and the audio rate must be 11025 or 22050.

If you half the framerate you may be able to get a smoother playing video, but if you overclock GPcinema to 166mhz you can keep the original framerate and use a higher bitrate, but i find the audio starts to mess up if you have the bitrate higher then 200+kb/s

p00pty2 posted on May 18 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
make sure you use THIS version of the xvid codec, or if u want to use divx you must use divx 4.11

If you use any other codec, or any other version of those codecs GPcinema wont play them

You must resize the video to 320x240 and the audio rate must be 11025 or 22050.

If you half the framerate you may be able to get a smoother playing video, but if you overclock GPcinema to 166mhz you can keep the original framerate and use a higher bitrate, but i find the audio starts to mess up if you have the bitrate higher then 200+kb/s

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me, I tried to get the XVID CODEC, via the link you sent me, but the link went to a site called network solutions, there where a few references to the Gp32 but no sign of the codec to download.

Sorry for being a pain, but do you have any other ideas where to get the codec from? or the version of Xvid codec to get, so I can look for it myself ?
Many Thanks Again...
Steve.

p00pty2 posted on May 19 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
did you get it working ??

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me, I tried to get the XVID CODEC, via the link you sent me, but the link went to a site called network solutions, there where a few references to the Gp32 but no sign of the codec to download.

Sorry for being a pain, but do you have any other ideas where to get the codec from? or the version of Xvid codec to get, so I can look for it myself ?
Many Thanks Again...
Steve.

I swear I wrote a reply to you yesterday, but it seems the internet goblins have eaten it.

Briefly:

I had success ages ago with "Xvid 1.0 final" build, but don't know where you can download it from sorry. I tried the latest version of Xvid (1.10 final or something) this morning and couldn't get it to work. Have a look at the end of this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=10850

You might consider using Divx 4.12 - reliable, although some people claim Xvid gives better looking files.

I use a codec called RealMagic - This gives me excellent results and always works. I've never rigorously compared it to the others, but the quality is sufficiently good that I don't think I'd benefit much from a change. Have a read through this thread for info: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...47&hl=RealMagic

Less briefly:

Here are the settings I used this morning to encode a few episodes of 24 season 2. A typical file is 42 minutes long, 45.1 MB and beautiful to look at with clear sound. Runs smoothly (even with lots of movement onscreen) at 120MHz. My only gripe is needing to hold the screen at funny angles to see it properly on my NLU in a darkish room :(. Anyway, the settings:

VIDEO:
Filters: resize to 320x176; some sort of "levels" filter I don't really understand but brightened the picture nicely!
Framerate: Converted to 15 frames/second (NB set framerate using the "decimate by" set of controls to lower framerate while preserving the speed of things moving onscreen)

Compression (using the RealMagic Codec):
Set to Constant Bitrate (Haven't tried variable bitrate... if you do, let me know how it turns out!)
Bitrate set to 110kbps
Buffer (vbv_delay) set to 4 seconds (I have no idea what this means! It seems to be the default, so I just left it alone)
All of the RPM4 encoding tools left unchecked, on the grounds that I don;t know what they are and was too tired to experiment with them this morning (please let me know if you find them useful!)
AVI FourCC set to DIVX
Under Advanced settings:
Maximum quantizer: 12
Minimum quantiser: 3
Quantisation tools: H.263
Maximum Keyframe interval: 300

Make sure to set the option in Vdub's "Video" menu to "Full processing mode"

AUDIO:
Set to "Full processing mode"
Compression: MP3 (I used the Lame codec) set to "11025Hz, 32kbps ABR, stereo"
Conversion: 11025Hz, High quality, stereo

I also put the volume up a few notches, but you may not need to.

Also, have a look at these guides:

http://newbie.gp32x.de/gp32/encvid.htm (Video guide toward bottom of the page)
http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ewaystation/gpcin.html (excellent step-by-step guide for 2-pass encoding for higher quality files)

Note that one (or both?) of them refers to the myth that an old version of Virtualdub gives smaller filesizes and is therefore better. This was due to a bug in that version which mis-reported the bitrate that files were being encoded at: i.e. it did give smaller files, but only because it was encoding video at a lower quality than it was told to! So get the most recent version of virtualdub despite what the guide says!

I hope this helps :)

Have fun,
Melville

EDIT:

After trawling through my harddrive: I use RealMagic RPM4 v1.1 which I seem to have lost the install files for, but is probably floating online somewhere. However, I have got install files for several old versions of Xvid: 04102002-1, 1.0.3-20122004, 2.0.3-20122004 and 1.0-09052004. One of these could be the one you're after (although I honestly can't remember). If you want to give them a try I can mail them to you.

Back