Dingoo Got My Dingoo! ^__^

Great to hear Rlyeh - you'll enjoy the dingoo, a fun little unit.

If you do decide to release some stuff, I'm sure a lot of people will be very interested to say the least:)

Cheers
Simon

oh yup why not, i just love my dingoo so much... what a crush... the system is cheap as hell, as most chinese PMPs out there, but its so nice they giving some kind of SDK/libs. and the firmware is pretty much more finished than the crap gp2x/wiz solution. these chinese guys got all the stuff almost working properly now :S

ah well, i just flashed dingux (got no SD to install linux though), downloaded one SDK, and compiled some sources... but im still a little confused, so if anybody can answer me those questions i'll save some time

is any toolchain valid to make stuff in two flavours: native+dingux? should i release stuff in two flavours or stick only with one? what u guys rather like dingux or native? should i compile staticly or dinamicly? whats the minimal library/low level library of your choice? have we got a vsync routine already? and a true hw timer routine? how is the reset button mapped? has the video chipset some kind of hardware strecthing? and blitter? can we set the video to work in real 8bpp? same for sound, can we set it to real 8 bit?

im ready to start porting back my stuff... any suggestion to start with?
fcol? fmsx? fzx? fgb? fsms? fnes? fgen? fcpc? fpce? reminiscence? rick? ^__^

hummm so many questions im asking for...

rlyeh said:
should i release stuff in two flavours or stick only with one? what u guys rather like dingux or native?
PLEASE stick with Dingux! The eventual goal of Dingux is to become polished enough to replace the original firmware, so it would be best if devs concentrated their efforts on Dingux applications imo.

rlyeh said:
should i compile staticly or dinamicly
Statically is ideal in most situations as it does not require the user to have specific libs in their rootfs

rlyeh said:
how is the reset button mapped?
I'm pretty sure it's not

rlyeh said:
has the video chipset some kind of hardware strecthing?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't

rlyeh said:
fsms, fnes, fpce (in that order ;])

Last edited by a moderator:
rlyeh said:
what u guys rather like dingux or native?
Actually I think this is a tough question. The A320 Dingoo is nice, but honestly I think it may have a short lifespan.
The problem is that there is no standard. Game and emulators have been released for both - native and dingux.
Dingux would be my preference, but I fear that some of it's issues will not be resolved in a good amount of time.
I'm not knocking Booboo, he's done a great job getting Dingux to where it is now, but there still seems to be a lot to do.
Even relatively simple things like double buffered screens are still not available. :-(
rlyeh said:
should i compile staticly or dinamicly?
I think for Dingux you should dynamically compile - I've released both static and dynamic compilations.
rlyeh said:
whats the minimal library/low level library of your choice?
I've ported across your very own minimal lib from GP2X to A320. I guess you'd like to have it back? It's strictly for Dingux at the moment.
rlyeh said:
have we got a vsync routine already?
There will never be a v-sync. It's a hardware limitation. The necessary hardware is not in place. There maybe a way to do it like the old GP32 - create a very accurate timer - but as far as I know, no one has done this yet.
rlyeh said:
and a true hw timer routine? how is the reset button mapped?
Dingux uses clcok();
rlyeh said:
has the video chipset some kind of hardware strecthing? and blitter?
Yes there is, it's not enabled in the standard kernel for Dingux, though I think you can access it natively.
rlyeh said:
can we set the video to work in real 8bpp? same for sound, can we set it to real 8 bit?
8-bit video only works for TV out. The reason is that there are two screen controllers, one for the TV another for the LCD. The LCD work with 16-bit.
8-bit sound should be supported under Dingux.

My vote: i'd love to see fzx, fpce and fnes - but really, the whole lot would be very nice ;)

Whatever you decide to do, I have no doubt it will be very well received by the relatively small but enthusiastic dingoo community.

Cheers
Simon

rlyeh said:
oh yup why not, i just love my dingoo so much... ..

Hey good news your liking the A320, i have love your previous work.

should i release stuff in two flavours or stick only with one? what u guys rather like dingux or native?
>>I would prefer native, lets keep this as simple as posible for people, some will be scared of converting to Linux.

Anything you want to do will be very welcome by all, my choice would be fpce, fmsx, fsms - first for me as we seem to have sort of working versions for some of the others

Available to beta test if you need it..
:cool:

I mostly find myself booting dingux, just because it has my favorite games and emulators. Most people would be very happy if dingux's software-portfolio would raise, but then the native firmware certainly has some nice features dingux doesn't have, yet. Still, I'd recommend developing for dingux, since your portfolio would fit in there the best.

rick would be a great port to dingux, afaik it's already available to native firmware.

Good nes and sms emu's for dingux would also be very much appreciated!

Is there a way to donate for a sd-card for you?

i would vote for dingux too, i liked your menu system for your emus on your gp32 :D
what to port? i would vote for fnes, fsms and fgb but take a look at the dingux software and decide for your self what is missing ;)

I vote for Dingux - but it's up to you.

I'd most look forward to a PCE emulator - since the two available for the Dingoo are a little disappointing. I'm surprised they're slower than Genesis and SNES. If you do port a PCE emulator - I'd request an auto-fire feature. :)

I would definitely prefer native. With native you will reach out to a larger audience. And your emulators could utilize the TV out feature.

There is an official SDK but it's a bit slow. I would instead recommend using the toolchain by flatmush (info here). You could also check out Gnuboy which is built upon this toolchain.

It would be great to see a good mega drive / genesis emulator on native.

sorry for highjacking this topic a little, but as there are 2 certified guru's willing to develop for the dingoo in this topic, maybe someone of you would be interested in porting giana's return to dingux? I voluteered a while back, but was told I'm not trusted enough to give me the sources (I'm really not well known in the handheld-scene, since I'm pretty new to it and am currently very busy with my studys and beeing one of the maintainers of supertuxkart. I didn't even have time to find out what's wrong with my toolchain, everything I compiled for the dingoo in the last weeks results in a segfault :( )

I've written an email to kojote, who seems to be part of the giana's return team, and pointed him to this thread. I guess your offering was just lost.

edit: recieved a reply from kojote.

They are in contact, so there's hope for a release for dingux and probably some other platforms. :)

Back