Google Chrome Os

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
Whelp, Google finally let the cat outta the bag; they are, after all, developing their own open-source OS for use on full-fledged computers (from netbooks to desktops). They announced it'll be available on both x86 & ARM platforms, so we're probably going to be looking at very smooth compatibility & support right out of the gate. This only means good things =] Looks like we can put the whole 'Pandroid' debate to rest now too =D

Consequence9 said:
Whelp, Google finally let the cat outta the bag; they are, after all, developing their own open-source OS for use on full-fledged computers (from netbooks to desktops). They announced it'll be available on both x86 & ARM platforms, so we're probably going to be looking at very smooth compatibility & support right out of the gate. This only means good things =] Looks like we can put the whole 'Pandroid' debate to rest now too =D

Pandroid will still be around, as some people want to play with Android on their Pandora.

Other than that, yeah it will be cool to have a ChromeOS port, but if Google Gears and Flash get ported to ARM, I really see no huge benefit from using ChromeOS over the PandoraOS. ALL of the apps are going to be web-based (with Google Gears support for offline).

Also, off topic and should be moved :)

EDIT: Plus, they are breaking X11 again, so wah! No support for any good GUI linux apps in the OS anyway. It'll just be a browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
GCOS and Android fill two separate niches.
Android is a full fledged OS with its own tools, benefits, and quirks.
If I understand correctly, GCOS is basically just Chrome on top of a linux kernel. It's designed for speed and security: start your computer, 5 seconds later you're on the web. All apps will be HTML and JavaScript based, able to run in any standards compliant browser. It doesn't have any other capabilities (yet, that I know of). So there's no real benefit to GCOS for the Pandora as anything other than a lark.

This is offtopic, and theres also another thread about the same topic in off-topic. Moving it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back