Good games that are actually rubbish.

I hate RPGs, myself (the only one I can stand is Wild ARMs). I was watching someone else play Final Fantasy 8 back in the day, and quite often thinking "WTF? :blink: ". :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Project X. After the first two minutes playing, I never liked it again.

Mortal Kombat. Never did it for me.

When I was a kid, RPG's were great. No better way to spend those long hot summer days waiting for it to cool down to sub-spontaneously-combustion temperatures outside. Now that I'm older, though I feel the time investment is just not quite as worth it. I still feel the itch to RPG, but I find that if I wait long enough it goes away without the need to scratch.

I was thinking about this topic while I was at work today. I thought of a couple more that people seem to love, but I just couldn't get along with...

Tomb Raider 2 - I have never had such a bad first impression of a game in my life. My friend offered me a go so I took the controller. "Run! Your getting hit". I couldn't see what was hurting me so I asked where the bad guy was. "He's shooting you through that wall". I ran out of the room and through another door, and guess what? I was still getting shot and died. I thought it was shit and couldn't really understand why they would let such a flaw into the game after the classic first game. A big big let down...

Resident Evil - Now you need to understand. The only impression I had of suvival horror before this game was with Alone in the Dark on the 3DO. I had very high hopes when everyone said how great it was. The entire game to me was "pop pop pop, I killed a zombie. Pop pop pop I killed another zombie". Every puzzle in the game was this shaped object fits into this shaped hole. No originality at all, but the masses loved it :rolleyes:

Thank you! The plot had more inconvenient twists than a pretzel at the chiropractor. And they're all just kind of brought up in the middle, as if someone was writing the story and then decided to change the story without changing the parts already written.

"Oh by the way, the person you're going to kill is my wife." "Oh hey, we all grew up together, even the teacher, you've just all forgotten. Except me, cause I'm awesome." "Oh, by the way, the school can fly." "Yeah, the person you were sent to kill who is actually my wife is here to help us now. She was possessed but she's better now, for no real reason"

And that was just the first disk! By the time I got there I refused to put in the second. I just couldn't take it anymore.

You might enjoy this youtube series, WizardStan:

Doctor Insano for President!

I would dare to say civilisation

Well, Civilization is actually a good game. It's just not anywhere near as exciting or epic as it seems. Sid Meier is a genius and really helped develop the in-depth computer strategy genre. So yeah, it definitely didn't live up to the type of hype it might have had if you were expecting something like Age Of Empires or Starcraft (neither of which existed at the time.)

I think this one may be a little controversial, but...

Final Fantasy 8. One of the most overrated and crappy rpgs ever released.

[Edit]

Reread the first post. Via emulation?

Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG...

My take on the final fantasy games is that they just got progressively worse after they left the Super Nintendo. Final Fantasy 7 is one of the most over-hyped games in the history of the series, EVERYONE just LOVES this game, and why? I haven't the slightest clue. The story is essentially a slight re-write of Final Fantasy 6 with some attempt at making this demonic hellspawn of a villain to fight, who turned out to be just a mama's boy with an sword that was physically impossible to wield. The characters don't contain as much depth as those of FF6 (or 3 for those of you that didn't know and lived in the U.S.) and it's just generally a mess. While it was an impressive first try at developing a 3D final fantasy game, it definitely disappointed me in the end.

Final Fantasy 8 brought some interesting features to the game. The card game was an interesting way to waste time in-game and gave obsessive players something else to do. The battle system and GF system were both interesting, but not very. And the story was about as coherent as if it were written by a 5 year old with ADD. Final Fantasy 9 Did redeem the series in 3D, but then we lost everything that was good about final fantasy in the games that came out afterwards. Final fantasy 6 to me is the last game in the series that really didn't feel linear (and near the end opened up and gave you tons of possibilities.) and square enix has to get their shit together and start producing QUALITY games, instead of 50GB displays of blu-ray high def cutscenes and storylines that make even less sense than Final Fantasy 8 (I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy 13.)

A game that a lot of people like but I don't is Battletoads.

Battletoads is a game I really like. It's double dragon with toads in spikey gear. What's not to like?

And that was just the first disk! By the time I got there I refused to put in the second. I just couldn't take it anymore.

I made it 3 discs in. Trust me, it gets worse. Sorcerers in space ftw.

Also, I think this just about sums up what disappointment feels like going from boxart to gameplay.

I think this one may be a little controversial, but...

Final Fantasy 8. One of the most overrated and crappy rpgs ever released.

[Edit]

Reread the first post. Via emulation?

Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG...
Whoa, hang on, back up. Yoshi's Island? WTF? Explain yourself!

Now Spy vs. Spy - there is a game that still does it for me.

True - but only with another human player :)

This is my least favorite Final Fantasy as well. Not so much because of the story, but because of the draw system and how it effected character development. It really pissed me off that my favorite characters were essentially gimped at the end because they did not have access to the best magic while I progressed through the plot, forcing me to use the characters I disliked because I could build them up from scratch.

Yeah, FF8 is the only one so far (except for 11, 12 and 13, but those are no real FFs anymore) in the series I didn't complete.

I used those Summons from the very beginning as they killed all monsters an later in the end there came monsters where those summons didn't work anymore... and since they used that weird system where levels are not important but training, I couldn't even survive simple monsters then... that was it for me.

Good point. While you're at it explain why super mario RPG was a bad game.
Ok, first up is Super Mario RPG because it is the easiest for me to explain. How can I put this...

Mario has the personality of a mashed potato. When I play a role playing game, I expect to be able to feel something (I don't know what) towards the main character, or at least a single member of the cast in the game. I was unable to connect with any of it, and I think the only reason people love it the way they do now is because it was never released in the PAL region (americans have no taste :p ) and was one of the last Square games for Nintendo before the split.

In short, Mario and crew are too "off the cuff" to be in a game of this kind.

Yoshis Island is harder to explain.

I think that when I first played the game I was caught by supprise. I was expecting Mario World 2. I saw that it had some interesting dynamics, and that some of the platforming was still in there.

But it was not a pure Mario game, and that is what I was expecting. Thats why it was a dissapointment to me.

Battletoads is a game I really like. It's double dragon with toads in spikey gear. What's not to like?

I absolutely hated the level (I think it was level 3?) where you were riding the jet ski vehicle over lava. I don't really remember much else about it to be honest, maybe I'll give it another chance when my Pandora arrives.

Mine as well. Although, Mystic Quest wasn't all that great either.

I completely forgot about Mystic Quest. This was the only game across every system I own that I ever traded. I actually traded it to an acquaintance for his copy of Final Fantasy 2 (4), and later he wanted to trade back. I still have Final Fantasy 2 :lol:

Ok, first up is Super Mario RPG because it is the easiest for me to explain. How can I put this...

Mario has the personality of a mashed potato. When I play a role playing game, I expect to be able to feel something (I don't know what) towards the main character, or at least a single member of the cast in the game. I was unable to connect with any of it, and I think the only reason people love it the way they do now is because it was never released in the PAL region (americans have no taste :p ) and was one of the last Square games for Nintendo before the split.

In short, Mario and crew are too "off the cuff" to be in a game of this kind.

I think that when I first played the game I was caught by supprise. I was expecting Mario World 2. I saw that it had some interesting dynamics, and that some of the platforming was still in there.

But it was not a pure Mario game, and that is what I was expecting. Thats why it was a dissapointment to me.
I get where you're coming from with Yoshi's Island. I think I didn't get it on release after hearing it wasn't Mario World 2, and didn't play it until some time later. But when I did, boy was it good. It may not be a traditional Mario game, but I knew that already and just took it for what it was: pure awesomeness :D

Never played Mario RPG by the way.

In the defence of FF7; For me there are many reasons why it is so well loved. It pretty much smashed through the boundaries of most gamers comfort zones and brought rpgs to a new audience. It was beautiful to look at and it had revolutionary cutscenes that blended seamlessly into the action. The story was genuinely moving too, to a degree that I have never experienced before or since, (spoiler alert!) I still get a lump in my throat when I look back at the scene where Red XIII, after believing his father to be a coward for running away from his village whilst it was being attacked and despising him for it, finally returns home to be shown that he had actually fought off the invaders even while their poisoned arrows turned him stone, this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ipyQGAf9uZI?feature=oembed

When you consider the impact and success of VII, you can't help but wonder where they went wrong after that. Final Fantasy can now guarantee these things in every new version:

- Sparkly crystals

- Feminine male characters

- Convoluted nonsensical story which appears to have been devised by putting the script on a conveyor belt and having 1000 people write a single sentence each as it passes by.

- Flashy, over-long attack sequences

- Endless political background to wade through, with impossible to remember provinces, royal families, and generals

- A revised battle and levelling system that is always completely different, and worse than the last.

and that's about it.

8 was utter nappies, I can't remember how many discs in I got, but I only slogged that far because I was waiting for it to get interesting. I remember the exact point that I stopped playing though, it was after going into the past where it made you suddenly become a completely different person with absolutely no connection to your current story, and something about fighting possibly invisible monsters on a spaceship, I just thought 'F@*k this... 'and off it went'

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned one of Final Fantasy 8's other issues yet. Warning: If you didn't notice this, you may never be able to take the game seriously again, if you ever managed to in the first place.

Want to know what it is?

Squall looks just like a computer-generated Jennifer Saunders.

I never... Holy shat! He does! Now I can't unsee it, sweety.. Darling... Sweety

In the defence of FF7; For me there are many reasons why it is so well loved. It pretty much smashed through the boundaries of most gamers comfort zones and brought rpgs to a new audience. It was beautiful to look at and it had revolutionary cutscenes that blended seamlessly into the action. The story was genuinely moving too, to a degree that I have never experienced before or since, (spoiler alert!) I still get a lump in my throat when I look back at the scene where Red XIII, after believing his father to be a coward for running away from his village whilst it was being attacked and despising him for it, finally returns home to be shown that he had actually fought off the invaders even while their poisoned arrows turned him stone, this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ipyQGAf9uZI?feature=oembed

The problem with that is the Final Fantasy 6 had much more convincing, interesting, and in-depth characters. Final Fantasy 7 was a masterpiece from a technical standpoint, that I agree on. The backdrops were great, the animations and FMVs were great, the music (coming from nobuo uematsu) was obviously brilliant - But I still hadn't enjoyed the story. It's much the same with Final Fantasy 13. Great graphics and everything, but the story is just garbage.

Almost impossible to explain ;)

This is one of the best 2D jump and run games ever in my opinion. Just beaten by New Super Mario Bros. on the DS.

My vote goes to Wipeout. I don't like the control, too sensitive for my taste.

Back