Going Travelling

thegrimreaper

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I'm going travelling for about 12 months and I'm currently busy filling up my SMC cards with as many applications as possible. For example, I'm adding almost every puzzle game from the downloads area onto one 128MB card.

I know I'm going to come across various versions of the same game (tetris for example), or find games that I just don't like. I'm therefore looking for a file manager program which will allow me to delete any applications I don't want, without needing to be connected to a PC (I could be away from technology for a long time).

Which "File Manager" type program would you recommend I use? Preferably it would be able to delete/move any programs I didn't want anymore and show the name and icon of the application as displayed on the GP32's normal "desktop" screen (I think I'm using the latest European firmware).

I myself use slubmans comander. I am not sure if it's still available as .fxe version, but that's how I use it. I still have it, if you can't find it, PM me with your email adress.

Wind-ups can delete/move/copy files and it comes in a fxe file.

Horscht posted on Jul 26 2005 at 02:46 PM said:
I myself use slubmans comander. I am not sure if it's still available as .fxe version, but that's how I use it. I still have it, if you can't find it, PM me with your email adress.

DanGP posted on Jul 26 2005 at 02:48 PM said:
Wind-ups can delete/move/copy files and it comes in a fxe file.

I had a look at Wind-ups, but unless I was using it wrong, it would only show me the name of the .fxe file which doesn't always easily match up to the name of the application that you see on the GP32 "desktop".

Does slubmans comander or Wind-ups have any way in which they make it obvious which .fxe file you're about to delete?

Last edited by a moderator:
i use YAFL, even though you can't delete, you can move the fxe's around into different catagories, so you could move the stuff you don't like into others and leave the ones you do like in games.

As for the .fxe? I've never had a problem mixing up the names of fxe files, i never rename them anything different, so i can't help you with that.

I quite like COMI, small and does every thing you need. Lacking in eye candy, skins, mp3 playback, and inflatable cheese etc

I also use COMI, HERE
It's very small and simple, but does everything you'll need for file management.
Note it's very slow to load up a Mame folder (assumning you've got 600+ roms in it) but it does get there in the end. It's a handy wee app' to have sitting on a smc.

Mr_Munk posted on Jul 26 2005 at 04:12 PM said:
Probably a stoopid question, but, why do you want to delete files off your SMC if you haven't got any way of writing new stuff on ?

too keep your SMC clutter free on the go.

Ever used Norton Commander or Windows/Total Commander?
Very much like the Explorer in SLubmans firmaware, which you can get as a standalone fxe here.

It`s the best to manage files on you gp32, I think!

GPFM v2 is one, If not the best file manager on the GP, It is a little on the large side, But is great for what it does.

Copy
Move
Delete
Rename
Create dir`s/folders
View text and listen to mp3`s at the same time.
It`s fast
View pictures, With zoom, Pan, Next and previous pic using the shoulder buttons

And quite abit more.

Wish this was available as a firmware, But slubman`s commander is a great alternative.

Trooper

trooper posted on Jul 26 2005 at 06:23 PM said:
GPFM v2 is one, If not the best file manager on the GP, It is a little on the large side, But is great for what it does.

Copy
Move
Delete
Rename
Create dir`s/folders
View text and listen to mp3`s at the same time.
It`s fast
View pictures, With zoom, Pan, Next and previous pic using the shoulder buttons

And quite abit more.

Wish this was available as a firmware, But slubman`s commander is a great alternative.

Trooper

Thats what I use, reccommended...

Wow, thanks for all the help everyone. That's a lot of help in such a short time.

If I've read all this right, it looks like best options (that will delete unwanted files are):

COMI
Slubman's Explorer
GPFM v2

I'll be checking these out soon,

Cheers everyone

PS
I really like your site alyinsanfran, looks like a lot of work has gone into it.

http://gameprobe32.blogspot.com/

thegrimreaper posted on Jul 26 2005 at 12:16 PM said:
Wow, thanks for all the help everyone. That's a lot of help in such a short time.

If I've read all this right, it looks like best options (that will delete unwanted files are):

COMI
Slubman's Explorer
GPFM v2

I'll be checking these out soon,

Cheers everyone

PS
I really like your site alyinsanfran, looks like a lot of work has gone into it.

http://gameprobe32.blogspot.com/

Well thank you GrimReaper, that's very much appreciated, and has stirred me to update after a hiatus!
It's thanks to the good work of coders like yourself that there's enthusiasm enough to keep these wee shrines going. I had a cobber over last weekend and after a few margaritas I pulled out the GP and booted Star Wars. Took him 2 runs to blow up the death star, but by crikey he was sold.
I'm a mite jealous of your rtw trip, if you'll be passing by Northern Califonia (current home) or New Zealand (the previous 32 years) pm me if you'd like some suggestions for local beers/accomodation/sights etc.
Otherwise, enjoy yourself and thank you hugely for your stirling work on vector games!

Wowza, I really like the site too, alyinsanfran. <---I guess this was a little off topic but I believe he has a wealth of options to choose from before he leaves so I wont and any others.

@thegrimreaper

I'm also travelling on my round the world trip for a year (currently in sunny California!). I've brought my GP32 as well. The best thing you can do is to bring an ipod or other 20gb mp3 player and use that to transfer stuff across when you get access to computers etc..

For example I have Seasons 1 - 9 of South Park encoded for GP cinema on my mp3 player and then copy across a few episodes to a media card before a flight etc..

Back