Gmu Music Player 0.7.0_Beta4 For The Gp2X Wiz

wejp

Website
wejp.k.vu
Due to popular demand I've just released a Gmu version for the Wiz. It is still a highly experimental release, as I was not able to test it on a Wiz myself.
Unfortunately I do not own a Wiz.

Grab it here: http://wejp.k.vu/gmu/gmu-0-7-0_beta4-for-the-gp2x-wiz-released

Sweet! Thanks, wejp! The player already works very well.
Just a few points I noticed:

-LCD off (er, I mean OLED off ;-)) not working.
-"A" button in file browser not working.
-the maximum volume is a little bit low.
-embedded covers not shown up.
-lyrics viewer seems to be broken for both embedded and separately txt files.

And a few suggestions for the Wiz port:

- The "Start" button on the F-100 is called "Menu" on the Wiz.
- There is no need for a separate "Hold" function with button combo. The Wiz "Hold" button already works flawlessly in GMU.

Is the "CPUClock" feature supported on the Wiz?

Nevertheless, a great first version. Well done...

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
Sweet! Thanks, wejp! The player already works very well.
I'm glad you like it. :)

Just a few points I noticed:

-LCD off (er, I mean OLED off ;-)) not working.
Yes, this is a known problem. Just not implemented on the Wiz, yet.

-"A" button in file browser not working.
Yeah, will be fixed.

-the maximum volume is a little bit low.
Will be fixed in the future. Maybe I'll need a Wiz for that, though.
Thanks for your donation. Maybe I'll be able to buy my own Wiz soon. :)

-embedded covers not shown up.
This is a known problem. Will be solved in the next release.

-lyrics viewer seems to be broken for both embedded and separately txt files.
Currently, lyrics support has been disabled. This will be re-enabled in the final 0.7.0 release.

And a few suggestions for the Wiz port:

- The "Start" button on the F-100 is called "Menu" on the Wiz.
I will change the button naming scheme in Gmu to match the device's button names.

- There is no need for a seperate "Hold" function. The Wiz "Hold" button already works flawlessly in GMU.
Good to know. So I can just remove the whole button mapping for the hold feature on the Wiz.

Nevertheless, a great first version. Well done...

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude you rock, I came across the Wiz while shopping for a portable music player... I thought why not get something that can play music, games, AND music? I was disappointed with the built in player, and this program is a million times better! Thanks :D

I gave this a quick look and it seems really nice. It may be my fault but I could not find a clear way to exit the app. There is a Menu and Select button, but no start button. Also the volume is super low (as you already know). Fix these things and I will gladly switch to your app. =]

xteraco said:
I gave this a quick look and it seems really nice. It may be my fault but I could not find a clear way to exit the app. There is a Menu and Select button, but no start button. Also the volume is super low (as you already know). Fix these things and I will gladly switch to your app. =]

I`m not a Wiz owner, But as far as i know in the Wiz world, Menu = Start.

Trooper

trooper said:
xteraco said:

I`m not a Wiz owner, But as far as i know in the Wiz world, Menu = Start.

Trooper
Yes, it is just the name, "Start" and "Menu" are both the same, so Select+Menu should exit Gmu on the Wiz. Actually, it exits just fine using that button combination, others have already reported to have successfully exited Gmu that way. ;) In the final 0.7.0 release I will use the right button names on each supported device.

wejp said:
Due to popular demand I've just released a Gmu version for the Wiz. It is still a highly experimental release, as I was not able to test it on a Wiz myself.
Unfortunately I do not own a Wiz.

Grab it here: http://wejp.k.vu/gmu/gmu-0-7-0_beta4-for-the-gp2x-wiz-released

Thank you thank you thank you. I've been waiting for this since I got my Wiz.

Looking forward to the next version. Besides the volume fix, any chance of getting an equalizer? I know this would be new functionality (and you'll need a Wiz ;-).

Promised Planet said:
Thank you thank you thank you. I've been waiting for this since I got my Wiz.
I'm glad you like it. :)

Looking forward to the next version. Besides the volume fix, any chance of getting an equalizer? I know this would be new functionality.
I'll try to fix the volume issue (which should not be that difficult to do) for the final 0.7.0 release. I consider implementing an equalizer at some point as well. I would do that mostly because people like equalizers and because it is kind of a challenging thing to do (doing convolutions, FFT etc.). I myself don't care much about equalizers. ;) But as this is a bigger task don't expect it for the 0.7.0 release. It will take some time to implement it.

I must have found a bug then because I definitely could not exit. I will try and get the steps I took to get it to fail, and let you know.

Awesome little music player. Clocked down to 120Mhz with battery test, runs just as well as it did at 533Mhz. Is it possible to clock the wiz any lower than 120Mhz? Plays 192KBPS mp3 file, stereo, 44.1KHZ perfectly fine all the way down at 120Mhz.

Great release, and while an equalizer would be great, some way to artificially raise the volume would be nice, like a dB boost or something. Not sure how hard that would be to implement. Works beautifully, and I haven't noticed any issues so far.

The only suggestions I have:

Equalizer
Implement some odd formats (ripped snes music? C64 chiptunes? =D)
code to turn the screen off

That's it. otherwise, perfect player. A+

I think I'll put this in an autorun script.

Edit: Maybe add some code to set the clock speed to 100Mhz or something, to preserve battery life?

xteraco said:
I must have found a bug then because I definitely could not exit. I will try and get the steps I took to get it to fail, and let you know.

Note that you hold down the Select button, and then press the Menu button.

Also, holding select and pretting Y/A/B/X is a little hard, because select is on the same side as the buttons. But it's not that big of a deal. =P

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Also, holding select and pretting Y/A/B/X is a little hard, because select is on the same side as the buttons. But it's not that big of a deal. =P
You can easily re-assign all buttons in Gmu. There is a text file for the button configuration called default.keymap. You can either edit that file to alter the button mappings, or if you wish to keep the original mapping, just in case you want to switch back to that config later, make a copy of that file, e.g. called myown.keymap edit that file and then open gmu.conf and change the line

KeyMap=default.keymap

to

KeyMap=myown.keymap

For more details on customizing Gmu take a look at the readme.txt file that comes with Gmu. :)

Hi wejp, I'm glad you're porting GMU to wiz ;)

Well, i'm an old addicted to amiga mods, and GMU is not recognizing in any way .mod or .xm files...

Do you know why?

vEGA-rJ said:

Well, i'm an old addicted to amiga mods, and GMU is not recognizing in any way .mod or .xm files...

Do you know why?
Yes. The module player plugin has not been included in this Gmu release, yet. In the final 0.7.0 release Gmu will be able to play module files again.
I have unitized Gmu with the 0.7.0 branch, which means all decoders need to be rewritten as they had been part of the Gmu core before (in Gmu 0.6.X and below) and are now implemented as plugins. I've just not reimplemented the module decoder, so this beta release is not able to play those files. ;)

wejp said:
vEGA-rJ said:

Do you know why?
Yes. The module player plugin has not been included in this Gmu release, yet. In the final 0.7.0 release Gmu will be able to play module files again.
I have unitized Gmu with the 0.7.0 branch, which means all decoders need to be rewritten as they had been part of the Gmu core before (in Gmu 0.6.X and below) and are now implemented as plugins. I've just not reimplemented the module decoder, so this beta release is not able to play those files. ;)

Nice to hear that it's not my fault after all... Will wait the final release :D

Back