Git web interface on shared web hosting service?

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
I've booked some web space in a shared environment, so I'm not root. The on-site management thingy I get to use, is Plesk something. There is a git and two git-* binaries in bin and the management interface let's me enable some git functionality. It's most prominent use case seems to be pushing one's web content from off-site, but I can toggle off the option of pushed content going public. In a temporary subdomain I enabled that git stuff to see, what happens in the directories. In what's presented to me as /, a dedicated directory was created which contains the git directory for the new repository, but it's not the root I set for the subdomain. I visited the subdomain to find, that no web interface has been set up for the gitty stuff.

Now, I'm looking for a FOSS web interface I could run in the given environment. If you already know such a thing, please stop me in my tracks. Who knows how long I'll be wandering aimlessly on my search for happiness.
Greetz

Thanks. Unfortunately, no Docker pour moi. I guess, I don't pay them enough. :)

I guess, since I cannot install binaries into /bin, that I'll have to use the git functionality they give me. And I hope there's a git web interface I can upload as a website, that processes some of its subfolders as git repositories for a site visitor to interface to. Then I'd create via Plesk repositories in that folder and hope for the best. Or something like that. Never done anything with hosted shared web space, but once at work for a customer - setting up a web site with some cms, forgot the name of the latter.

@Mese96 Thanks, but are you sure, you haven't booked a virtual server? I couldn't even change a thing in /etc/services. And I think, I'd have to.?

@Mese96 I did jump on an Advent offer from netcup two years ago, which is their Webhosting 4000 with differences in some details, and it's 4 EUR/month. The contract is a year and extends in one-year steps. I still want to see, how far I can get with that shared hodting stuff.
Uberspace looks chilled, though, and I get the feeling you've got way more tools and frameworks at your fingertips. Who knows, maybe when I start using what I got and learn I have no use for 100 GB or proper domains and whatnot, ...
Post automatically merged:

Kallithea might work for me. I cannot check in ssh, if everything needed is there, since in ssh there's no python available. I'll look into it.

Yeah this Webhosting 4000 seam to have a lot more storage than the 10? GB I have. But I still have to reach that limit.
I don't have a contract, uberspace works more prepaid.
It is running as long you have credit. Minimum at 1 EUR/month. (But they wish 5 and upwards)
Really nice for tinkering. But yeah, if you have a contract, it makes sense to use it.
Good luck. Make sure to post when you got a solution.

It is running as long you have credit. Minimum at 1 EUR/month. (But they wish 5 and upwards)
Really nice for tinkering.
That's what I was calling being chilled. :)
Make sure to post when you got a solution.
Naturally. I had hoped Kallithea would be it, reading I can just pull the source. But it still needs some initializing steps, for which I'd need to use pip (some package manager from Python-ia). So the search goes on.

M'kay, update. I gave up. Just got me some uberspace, which was a Krampf. The site for registration didn't wanna load correctly, which wasn't too obvious. The button to set my chosen pw wasn't enabled/didn't enabled I had to reload the page mid-registration, and then got greeted by name. No mail address nor pw was associated. But the cooky was working. After countless reloads, I could set a pw and later my mail address.
Don't register there using Pale Moon. They don't seem to know, that there are more than two web browser models out there. :)

Back