Getting started part 2

quadcricket

Very Active Member
I've still been working on little projects. I thought this might be interesting to some. 

It is called Legend of Pandora and is an (obvious) Legend of Zelda clone. 

It may be more than a newbie like me can handle but at least I'm making progress. 

Here's a couple pics: 

LoP_teaser.png
LoP_teaser_2.png

I took the pallet right from the original game which only used like 21 colors. That keeps things simple. Once I get passed the engine items I will move more onto content. (Thus the empty scene). 

Excellent!

You're much farther along with creating something than I am....  ;)

It's been two months and slow going. I appreciate all the support!

If things get too lagged I will roll back to a pong or tetris clone. I was hoping that since this was an NES title that it would be simple to emulate but there is surprisingly more to it than I thought. 

My current solution is to limit things even more than the original for the sake of completion. Fewer over-world tiles, fewer dungeons, fewer types of enemies, fewer weapons, etc. 

I am just getting "props" to show up in scenes (rocks, trees, etc). Once that is done then I'll add an R.o.U.S. for a good starter enemy. 

Not much story/depth right now either. The main character is "Ed" and the "story" (which is just the text that scrolls down if you don't hit -start- on the title screen) is a loose metaphor of Open Pandora's history.

If there is anything you guys might like to see in the game, especially in tribute to the system and it's community I'm open to ideas.  

Will there be a craig dragon? :>

Last edited by a moderator:
Will there be a craig dragon? :>
Heh, no craig dragon.

I'm currently looking at CC, forum trolls, and time as the primary antagonists that will require metaphorical representation. 

Captain Crook, Board trolls (if I add docks/beach of some sort), and an evil genie named Tempus are ideas I've tossed around. 

Like the original Zelda there will be no formal introduction to any creatures in the game. You will find names and explanations in the game "manual".

I've got to keep it simple after all. If I ever make a Super Legend of Pandora then I can get into more detail ;)

Lots of story potential there. I wonder what I'll need to do to get past the volcano. :D
Or the Van on fire..

I think Craig should be an NPC that keeps falling off roofs.. fuzzy hat and vodka is obviously needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back